User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Wait for Macbook refresh?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wait for Macbook refresh?
Rod

2006-08-31, 19:08

I am switching to Mac. I now use a PC and can do surfing, email and word processing.

I pastor a small church and I want to do the above. I also want to get a .mac account and set up a simple web site for the church, have a blog site and set up mailing list for different groups. I want to purchase an ipod for music and podcast, I want to purchase a digital camera and put church pictures on the .mac site and play with garage band a little. I assume I will want to upgrade to Leopard. I am 54 and all of this will be new to me except surfing and email.

My Question:To do the above and grow into learning new things about the computer should I wait for the 64 bit chip to be in the Macbook or will the current mid-level white Macbook take me through the next three years and be plenty of computer for me.

I thank you for your help.

Rod

Last edited by Rod : 2006-08-31 at 19:27.
ironlung

2006-08-31, 20:41

Rod, the current macbook setup should be more than plenty for you. Just be sure to upgrade RAM. If you are tech savy enough or know some one who is, I would recommend on not buying RAM from apple but from some other company such as crucial or OWC (macsales.com). Apple charges way too much for additional RAM.

The 64 bit chip will be of little use to you. Hope this helps.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-08-31, 21:13

Hey Rod, I have to echo ironlung. I have a MacBook 2GHz and it does more than we really need it too. I originally had 1GB or RAM in it and just had to spring for the 2GB from OWC ($217 vs. Apple $450). I just upgraded ours today and it makes all the difference. If you need to maintain XP functions then Parallels will serve you fine while have all you have listed. I also use the .Mac account and love it too.

Remember the general rule: If you need it now, then get it. If you can wait, then wait. Personally, if you can wait for a little bit for OS 10.5 to come out it might be worth it to hold out. You can still get the .Mac and camera and such, just won't get the discount on .Mac.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-31, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
Rod, the current macbook setup should be more than plenty for you. Just be sure to upgrade RAM. If you are tech savy enough or know some one who is, I would recommend on not buying RAM from apple but from some other company such as crucial or OWC (macsales.com). Apple charges way too much for additional RAM.

Where will someone see a benefit from a 64 bit processor?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-31, 21:42

Unless you need 16GB of ram, 64bit is useless.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-31, 22:13

Care to explain? Or are seemingly useless comments as far as you go?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-31, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Care to explain? Or are seemingly useless comments as far as you go?
Oh no you didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-31, 22:20

windowsrookie has completely missed the point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
Quote:
A common misconception is that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of memory. This is not entirely true...
From the very article he links to. Read a little further and you'll get the info you need.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-31, 22:22

Quote:
Oh no you didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Bitch.
Stop trying to talk big. That just comes off as stupid and immature.

1. Posting a link to a wikipedia entry is a poor explanation.
2. Your link does not support your claim that increased memory is the only advantage.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 22:28

I thought the only advantages were support for more RAM, and the CPU can execute 64-bit instructions (Vs. 32-bit).
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
windowsrookie has completely missed the point..

Quote:
A common misconception is that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of memory. This is not entirely true...
From the very article he links to. Read a little further and you'll get the info you need.
I said unless he needs 16GB of RAM, a 64bit processor is useless for him. I didn't say that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of memory.


scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 22:43

Quote:
I said unless he needs 16GB of RAM, a 64bit processor is useless for him.
And you are wrong wrong wrong wrong. Period. Go learn about computers, please.

64 bit processors can deal with maths more effeciently, as well as dealing with larger numbers on chip.

A very simple example for you..
Quote:
By using 32 bits your processor can represent numbers from 0 to 4,294,967,295 while a 64-bit machine can represent numbers from 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. Obviously this means your computer can do math with larger numbers, and be more efficient with smaller numbers.
They can also access more data, and deal with larger app and data structures than a 32 bit chip.

They also generally use newer technology on the silicon, which makes them faster generically.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 22:44

But as I said, unless he needs 16GB of RAM for blogging. He doesn't need a 64-bit CPU.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 22:48

Quote:
But as I said, unless he needs 16GB of RAM for blogging. He doesn't need a 64-bit CPU.
Then why didn't you say that and actually qualify your advice, instead of sounding like an asshat and making a fatuous statement. You weren't even answering Rod, you were trynig to be smart with macleod.

And I think macleod's response to you was quite telling of how your behaviour comes accross.

Stop trying to move the goal posts. You got caught talking crap. End of story.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-08-31, 23:19

Such language...

Am I going to have to separate you two?

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Such language...

Am I going to have to separate you two?

THHHHRRRRR

*runs away*
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-09-01, 00:04

Hi Rod - welcome to AppleNova.

The current MacBook will, in fact, meet your needs quite well for at least 3 years, especially if you max out the RAM.

The only apps that will take advantage of 64 bit in that time period will be high-end, professional-level apps that would likely cost more than the MacBook itself.

Waiting for 64 bit would gain you little (if any) value for what you will use it for, and you would lose months of happy, fun, productive computer use in the meantime.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-09-01, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Then why didn't you say that and actually qualify your advice, instead of sounding like an asshat and making a fatuous statement. You weren't even answering Rod, you were trynig to be smart with macleod.
Look, he asked if he would need a 64-bit CPU. I said he wouldn't need it unless he needs a ton of RAM. So I answered his question.

Jeese, sit down have a drink. I apologize for answering his question. macleod didn't even say anything in this thread until AFTER I posted that answer.

And there is no need to call me an asshat, if anything you guys are all being asshats.


macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-01, 10:31

My post:
Quote:
Where will someone see a benefit from a 64 bit processor?
was the one that you answered with that post:
Quote:
[disclaimer] just pointing it out WR...[/disclaimer]

Last edited by macleod : 2006-09-01 at 10:38. Reason: less confusing for WR
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-09-01, 10:33

Ahhh, this is getting confusing. Back on topic!

Partial
Stallion

2006-09-01, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post

But that 20-40% additional performance sure would be nice! My guess is they increase the ram to 1gb on everything across the board on all products, and keep the price the same rather than drop the price and keep 512 in there.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-01, 10:49

1 GB across the board would be a good upgrade if they kept the price at the current levels. They would probably do it in two sticks though!
Rod

2006-09-01, 18:50

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your help. Some good guidance here.

Sincerely

Rod
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-01, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your help. Some good guidance here.

Sincerely

Rod
Ok, so are ya getting it now or later?
Rod

2006-09-01, 19:57

turtle2472

Your advice along with several others was very helpful.
My plan is to go to Atlanta Monday and look at the computers.
I have a friend who has built some PC's, I think he can help me with the extra ram.
I will buy after the Paris event whatever happens.

Thanks
Rod
Partial
Stallion

2006-09-01, 23:42

Quote:
1 GB across the board would be a good upgrade if they kept the price at the current levels. They would probably do it in two sticks though!

Agreed. They definitely would.