User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

When will Apple release a software package to allow iPhone to compete with RIMM?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When will Apple release a software package to allow iPhone to compete with RIMM?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-01-18, 11:07

I seemed to remember that about a week after the iPhone was released, Jobs indicated they were working with some vendors on beta versions of email software to interface with Outlook Exchange Server for mail. That was more than six months ago, and still nothing. I just figured they gave up on the business segment.

But, in the past 24 hours, rumors are flying that Apple is re-concentrating on the business sector with:

1. IBM to Release Notes Lotus Notes for iPhone

2. AT&T to Adjust Pricing to Entice Business Users

IMHO, though, until they offer seamless integration with Outlook Exchange, this will be all for nothing. Why has not one vendor released something yet?

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-18, 13:13

iPhone is *already* competing with RIMM, big-time. And of course they'll always try to find ways to enamor their product with the general smart-phone demographic, particularly b'ness users. Fear not, the iPhone will probably grab another 10% share before things stabilize year-to-year. To where you know 70% of the market is going to use either an iPhone or Crackberry and the rest can wallow in obscurity.

...into the light of a dark black night.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2008-01-18, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
IMHO, though, until they offer seamless integration with Outlook Exchange, this will be all for nothing. Why has not one vendor released something yet?
If they've been working with companies in the background, it'd probably be announced simultaneously with the SDK release. I'd like to see Apple do a special event for it: Release the SDK, bring up partners to show off Exchange, Lotus Notes connectivity. Update iPhone with a 3G offering.
Reid

2008-01-18, 14:39

I've been using Synchronica Mobile Gateway to interface with my company's Outlook/Exchange server since about a month after the iPhone was released. It works great. Basically, it connects through Outlook Web Access somehow, but on your iPhone it looks like any other IMAP e-mail account. Messages read/deleted on the phone are updated automatically on the Exchange server. Works great, and until last week it was a free beta. Now the cost is $60/year, which is still a bargain if you ask me.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-01-18, 15:35

Yeah, we have seven people here at my firm that have iPhones now, but we are getting messages kicked back to us when we try to email from our iPhones via Outlook, at least to people outside of our domain. Our IT guy is banging his head on the wall trying to figure out what's not working. At one point, he opened up all ports from to and from our Outlook server and it still didn't work. This kind of frustration is a hindrance to business use. I don't know if it's Outlook being Outlook, AT&T or the iPhone itself, but something's gotta give.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-18, 16:27

When did apple include Wi-Fi in the iPod to compete with the Creative Nomad? Oh... Right... They didn't...
Other than the SDK, the iPhone needs nothing to compete with the crackberries. Mark my words.
I could imagine real (non-IMAP) Exchange support in iPhoneMail.app would be a good thing. On the other hand, I know it will arrive as soon as Mail.app supports it (meaning never)

Converted 07/2005.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-18, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
When did apple include Wi-Fi in the iPod to compete with the Creative Nomad? Oh... Right... They didn't...
Ummm are we forgetting the iPod Touch?
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-18, 18:17

Wait... I just realized the Nomad didn't have Wi-Fi. My Bad. In any case the Touch came out 3 years after the Nomad name was discontinued.
Mac Donald

2008-01-19, 19:13

I'm surprised Brad has not jumped in here, but it is RIM not RIMM.

Research in Motion, not Research in Motion Motion.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-01-19, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Donald View Post
I'm surprised Brad has not jumped in here, but it is RIM not RIMM.

Research in Motion, not Research in Motion Motion.
RIMM is Research in Motion's NASDAQ symbol, and therefore a perfectly valid abbreviation, just like AAPL is for Apple.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-01-19, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
RIMM is Research in Motion's NASDAQ symbol, and therefore a perfectly valid abbreviation, just like AAPL is for Apple.
Chucker, you bet me to it. . .
Mac Donald

2008-01-19, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, then . . . does anyone have any crow that I can eat?