User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ibook refresh
Page 1 of 23 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
xman2000

2005-05-09, 20:17

Evening,
I am thinking about purchasing a Mac iBook as my primary laptop but I was curious when Apple was planning the next refresh of the iBook line. I know they did a refresh around the holidays but I have to be honest and admit I don't follow the Mac world as closely as I should so I don't know when the next one is scheduled. I hate wasting money so I am willing to wait so that I get the best bang for the buck. Thanks for the help,
-stephen

flail

2005-05-09, 20:21

EDIT: While it's natural you want bang, even those who do "follow the Mac world" don't know when products will be updated. Apple is extremely secretive with their product development and cycles. There are no schedules.

Nevertheless, some speculation about releasing trends can be found in this thread, which is, interestingly enough, in the right forum, while you have posted in what is called the wrong forum.

IBL

Last edited by flail : 2005-05-09 at 20:29.

xman2000

2005-05-09, 21:29

sorry about posting in the wrong forum... as I said, the is the first time posting on this site. Thanks for the link, hopefully they will update the iBook this month as has been postulated on this thread. I have not owned a Mac since my Mac Classic so this is fun and disconcerting at the same time. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, or even respond to this thread even though it is in the wrong forum...

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-09, 21:40

i'll move it over to the right forum, perhaps someone can point out any further info on an iBook line update.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-05-09, 21:56

Any product could be updated at any time. If it's been out for more than 3 months, I'd automatically go from thinking do I want it, or do I need it. After 6 months, all bets are off, I then say, do I need it now? If so, buy it, use it, don't fret. If not, wait.

Granted, it's rare that a product can get rev'd after 3 months, but it has happened.

macgeek2004

2005-05-10, 21:19

The iBook is WAY over due. It should have been updated in April.

autodata
hustlin

2005-05-10, 21:32

"WAY" overdue is an exaggeration. The period since the last refresh is slightly longer than it's been in the past.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-10, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
Granted, it's rare that a product can get rev'd after 3 months, but it has happened.
When?

Are we talking Apple here, because I certainly can't recall anything fitting that (three months).

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-05-10, 22:59

iBook revision dates:

???
10/2004
4/2004
10/2003
4/2003
11/2002
5/2002
1/2002
10/2001

(from Macrumors)

Last edited by _Ω_ : 2005-05-10 at 23:01. Reason: added more info

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-10, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
5/2002
1/2002
10/2001
These are the only "close" ones and they're not what you'd expect. The January update was actually simply the addition of the 14" model to the lineup. Same speeds, same graphics, same drives, etc. So, take that out and you have a seven-month gap there, much like all of the other six-month gaps.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Phronetix

Send a message via AIM to Phronetix  
2005-05-10, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
When?

Are we talking Apple here, because I certainly can't recall anything fitting that (three months).
In November 2002 Apple speed bumped the TiBook line, then announced the 12 and 17 inch Al-books at MWSF in January 2003. Strictly speaking they didn't touch the 15 inch powerbooks at that time, but it was still an update inside of three months.

Also in September 2003 the iMac line was updated and 2 months later the 20 inch iMac (hemisphere base model) was introduced.

I sync therefore I am.
Phronetix 1:24

autodata
hustlin

2005-05-11, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix
Strictly speaking they didn't touch the 15 inch powerbooks at that time, but it was still an update inside of three months.
As someone who bought a ghz tibook that november, the 10 months until the next update (at which point it only got a .25 ghz bump) made it clear that there certainly wasn't an update for a long time.

Phronetix

Send a message via AIM to Phronetix  
2005-05-11, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
As someone who bought a ghz tibook that november, the 10 months until the next update (at which point it only got a .25 ghz bump) made it clear that there certainly wasn't an update for a long time.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear there.
I counted the release of the 12 and 17 inch AlBooks as an update to the powerbooks. The TiBook did not see an update ever again IIRC... then were aluminized.

Phro

I sync therefore I am.
Phronetix 1:24

autodata
hustlin

2005-05-11, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix
Perhaps I wasn't very clear there.
I counted the release of the 12 and 17 inch AlBooks as an update to the powerbooks.
No, apparently it was I who wasn't clear enough. It's more than "strictly speaking." Would it be an update if apple introduced a tablet ibook but didn't touch the current ibooks for another 8 months? Or think about it like this: do the current ibooks in that senario jump from revision d to revision e (or whatever they are now) even though they haven't been touched, or do they stay as revision d with the tablet ibook is a revision a?

It's kind of semantic, but it's also practical when it's a discussion of when and what to buy.

berner

2005-05-11, 12:48

Without having any specific knowledge from apple, i would still speculate that an ibook speed-bump is imminent. Of all of the apple products the ibook has had a fairly regular update pattern for the past year and a half. following the existing pattern it was due sometime last month. Also for a simple speed-bump there are no real technical hurdles to overcome, apple has CPUs that run at 1.42 or 1.5(depending on how much they are willing to let the ibook speed up) and the graphics, if they wanted, would most likely go the route of the 5200 (like the 12" PB), but probably will stay as they are for a bit yet. If I enjoyed speculating, i might suggest that the ibook could get a form-factor update, it is over 4 years old, and that would give Steve something to brag about at his keynote in june, but that would mean no news until then. The only other pending factor is this stupid idea that ibooks need to be held back to allow a suffering Powerbook line to have the appearance of being "high-performance". the idea that apple would drag out an update, affecting the sales of both lines of portables to preserve a concept for product marketing, rather than just keep what products they can current...well it burns me. time will tell how this round plays out
Kevin

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-05-11, 16:03

While notebook book sales are on the decline at Apple (go figure), it still ranks among the top six laptops sold at Amazon.

I suspect Apple would love to make G5 PB or newly designed iBooks as soon as technically possible, but continued brisk sales allow them to prolong the need to.
I think it's mainly the ardent Macheads that seem to be waiting it out for new iBooks.

xman2000

2005-05-11, 18:16

I am glad to see my post generated so much feedback... Seems like the idea of an iBook update is something most people agree is overdue so I think I am going to hold off for now.... Like I said, I am not in a rush and I would prefer to buy a laptop that will last me a little while. The big feature I am hoping for in a refresh is a DVI port and maybe a little more video RAM so that I can hook it up to my Dell 2005FPW widescreen LCD (check it out if you are considering an upgrade it finally convinced me to upgrade my 20" CRT) using a digital connection. A form factor upgrade would be nice but I actually prefer the plastic iBook over the aluminum Powerbook (which my boss has) with the one exception being that cool backlit keyboard. The 12" iBook really seems like an amazing bargain particularly given the 50% computer discount my office has so I am very anxious to get my hands on it but patience seems the best course. I read a couple of rumors on ThinkSecret today that seem to point to a refresh in the next week or two but my money is on June before Apple actually ships hardware... My PC will have to hold me until then...
-stephen

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-05-11, 18:34

I think it's doubtful we'll see DVI in the iBook, even after it gets a major redesign, simply because that's Powerbook territory. As for more VRAM...maybe. Does the iBook run CoreImage?

xman2000

2005-05-11, 18:59

You think? DVI is pretty much standard across the industry now and apple doesn't even sell CRT's anymore. You would think it was time to ditch standard HD-15 all together; particulary from a company that doesn't have the legacy of x86 based PC's to contend with.... Then again I could just be setting the bar a little high... :-)
-stephen

Shade

2005-05-11, 21:48

I hope we will see a new case that is as thin as the PowerBooks.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-05-11, 22:20

I'd hope for 512 RAM and upped VRAM. I may or may not be purchasing a 12" after the education discount resets on July 1.

Noel

2005-05-12, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman2000
The big feature I am hoping for in a refresh is a DVI port and maybe a little more video RAM so that I can hook it up to my Dell 2005FPW widescreen LCD (check it out if you are considering an upgrade it finally convinced me to upgrade my 20" CRT) using a digital connection.
Are you sure you want to hook up an iBook to that nice big monitor, considering the iBook only supports mirroring? You'd be stuck with a 1024*768 desktop, which would be showing on both the iBook screen and the Dell monitor...

I mean, unless you want to install the screen-spanning hack, but afaik that voids your warranty.

pcmeissner

2005-05-12, 07:43

I think xman2000 is hoping that we get a new video card in the iBooks. One that is capable of dual display mode. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for. And I want to see some Core Image ripples.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-12, 07:53

You know, the core image ripples aren't all that. In fact, they bug me a little, as you have to wait for them to do the pretty stuff before you can use the widget. Thats a real pain with Stickies

Noel

2005-05-12, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmeissner
I think xman2000 is hoping that we get a new video card in the iBooks. One that is capable of dual display mode.
The ones in the iBooks are capable of it, though (which is why the hack works). Apple just chooses to switch that feature off in iBooks, probably to differentiate from the PowerBooks.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-05-12, 09:38

kinda hoping for a refresh soon....giving one to my daughter for her high school graduation...she is heading to europe for 3 weeks and i was hoping to have it for her when she gets back in late june...

g

what i would like to see with a "simple" refresh:

12" iBook with 60 gig HD at 5400 rpm, 512 ram, 64 mb graphics and 1.4 G4 on base unit

1.5 G4 on step up unit with 80 gig or 100 gig HD.

fantasy would be for a widescreen 13 or 14 inch iBook with above standard specs

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2005-05-12 at 09:44.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-05-12, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
The ones in the iBooks are capable of it, though (which is why the hack works). Apple just chooses to switch that feature off in iBooks, probably to differentiate from the PowerBooks.
I hear ya, but Apple also needs to compete against PC laptops which practically all allow true monitor spanning and much higher resolutions.
I'm not saying to surpass PB specs (although they are extremely close), but crippling the video card simply makes Apple look cheap and petty.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-12, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
I hear ya, but Apple also needs to compete against PC laptops which practically all allow true monitor spanning and much higher resolutions.
I'm not saying to surpass PB specs (although they are extremely close), but crippling the video card simply makes Apple look cheap and petty.
But yet they've been doing that to the 'i' line since day one so I wouldn't expect a sudden turnaround in their policy with the next iBook update.

xman2000

2005-05-12, 17:03

Afternoon again,
The resolution does not bother me so much, or even the capability to span monitors, although that would be nice. A DVI interface on the other hand is something the would improve the quality of the image on the display which is more important to me. I am not planning on doing any photo retouching or anything but given the emphasis Apple places on graphic artists I am actually shocked that this is not something they have done up to this point. As I said before, they don't even sell analog CRT's anymore so why do ANY of their systems, laptop or desktop, still not come standard with DVI? This is not and never would be a reason for me to spend an extra $500 to get a powerbook instead of an iBook. It's not even the money; it has just gotten to the point, imho, that unless you are doing video editing or playing the latest games, that even the "lowest" laptop from any manufacturer is going to do 95% of what you want and the rest will be done on my desktop. Thanks for all the input... I am glad to see the Mac community is just as vibrant and opinionated as when I left it to join the dark side several years ago (my last MacWorld featured System 7) so I am very excited to rejoin the fold.
-stephen

gog

2005-05-13, 16:28

[quote=thegelding]what i would like to see with a "simple" refresh:

12" iBook with 60 gig HD at 5400 rpm, 512 ram, 64 mb graphics and 1.4 G4 on base unit
1.5 G4 on step up unit with 80 gig or 100 gig HD.

Anyone else feel a deafening silence. Tiger out but no new ibook in sight?
--> Is no news is sort-of good news?
--> Is a little June makeover on the cards?
Just think, the main thing on apple's mind at the moment is... "halo effect".
So i predict they're going to change the ibook cases to match the ipod mini (and keep the normal iconic white brand) so that all the ipod mini users feel a sudden twinge to switch to match their pretty little pods.
--> And guaranteed media attention for Jobs in June.
Make sense?
Oh, and predict same basic refresh as thegelding.
So I'm sitting and waiting for my new 12" ibook thanksverymuch.