User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

What happens when Sudden Motion Sensor is activated?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What happens when Sudden Motion Sensor is activated?
trainee

2005-06-10, 10:46

Does anyone know how exactly a PowerBook reacts when the SMS is triggered?
Could it be possible that it turns off very quickly?

I had a little accident with my PB some time ago. A glass of juice was kicked into the keyboard and when I took the PB to get the liquid out it suddenly turned off.

I brought it to the Apple-Store and they checked it and said everything was running fine.
Now I'm asking myself if there was some sort of short circuit or if it might have been the Sudden Motion Sensor, that caused the shut down.

What do you think?
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-06-10, 11:06

It's possible you had your thumb on the power button when you were holding it, since it's so flush with the surface. If it's pressed continuously it just shuts off completely, quickly.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-10, 11:57

my understanding is the suden motion sensor just parks the heads on the HD. it shouldn't shut your computer off.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-10, 12:07

alcimedes is right. It should not shut off the entire computer.
trainee

2005-06-10, 12:16

Thank you for your answers.

Although everything went very fast, I think I can say that did not touch the power button.

I'm a bit worried now that the PowerBook might freak out in the future.
Time will tell...
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-10, 12:16

They shut down when you kick juice into the keyboard.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-10, 12:19

Speaking of the juice, what exactly were you doing that you *kicked* juice into the keyboard?

I'm having a hard time picturing this. Juice by a keyboard? Okay. Feet by the keyboard with juice? Does not compute.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-06-10, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Speaking of the juice, what exactly were you doing that you *kicked* juice into the keyboard?

I'm having a hard time picturing this. Juice by a keyboard? Okay. Feet by the keyboard with juice? Does not compute.
I was thinking the same thing...

The only time I've ever spilt a beverage onto a (pro) keyboard was my own stupid fault. I was balancing a coke can on it's side(something I normally do quite well) it was balancing just fine(and perilously over the keyboard I might add) then I accidentally kicked the side of the desk and it all went tumbling down.

Fortunately I was able to get a replacement.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-06-10, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I was thinking the same thing...

The only time I've ever spilt a beverage onto a (pro) keyboard was my own stupid fault. I was balancing a coke can on it's side(something I normally do quite well) it was balancing just fine(and perilously over the keyboard I might add) then I accidentally kicked the side of the desk and it all went tumbling down.

Fortunately I was able to get a replacement.
Similar experience here, but it wasn't me doing the balancing. I was in law school and had to have a PC (exam software was PC only) and two days before my first exams, some guy in my study group was balancing a 20oz bottle of coke nearby, it slipped, and the whole bottle poured neatly into the keyboard. The screen starts freaking out, looking like some crazy screensaver or visualizer. Turned the computer into a paperweight.

Here's where I gotta give Dell some credit. They sent a guy to my apartment the very next day, replaced the motherboard and physically cleaned out the system - good as new. The HD was fine, too. All free. And in time for my exams.

Dang. That was 5 years ago... I understand there's been a decline in service since then. I wouldn't know, now that I'm out of school, it's Macs all the way.
trainee

2005-06-10, 13:13

Quote:
I thought you would understand what I mean, but if you don't it must really sound strange to you.

Maybe "kicked" wasn't the right term for this. I don't speak English natively and still no better word comes to my mind.
So - to clear things up - I did it with my hands!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-06-10, 13:18

trainee, at least you made it interesting!

Would have loved to see somebody "accidentally" kicking a can into a keyboard.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-10, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainee
Maybe "kicked" wasn't the right term for this. I don't speak English natively and still no better word comes to my mind.
So - to clear things up - I did it with my hands!
Oh! Okay. No harm done.

"Kicking" in English means using your foot to hit something like a football.

This is what I initially thought you were doing:

...but those were glasses full of juice instead of people.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
trainee

2005-06-10, 13:36

Quote:
Oh! Okay. No harm done.

"Kicking" in English means using your foot to hit something like a football.

This is what I initially thought you were doing:
...but those were glasses full of juice instead of people.
That must have sounded ridiculous

By the way, I know what kicking means, but don't you use "kick" for all sorts of other things, too?

PS: My juice-based liquid cooling system was very effective. Maybe there's still hope for the PB G5!?

Last edited by trainee : 2005-06-10 at 13:42.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-10, 13:40

Quote:
That must have sounded ridiculous

By the way, I know what kicking means, but don't you use "kick" for all sorts of other things, too?
Well, I suppose a bowling ball can kick a bowling pin, but that's really just anthropomorphizing the ball.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-06-10, 14:42

Quote:
Well, we might say "I kicked the habit" or "I get a kick out of you." The first one is really meaning the same thing as the normal usage of 'kick', but as a slang to suggest that you got rid of something with force and finality. "My girfriend kicked me out of her apartment" MIGHT mean she physically kicked me , but it definitely means she got rid of me with force and finality.

"I get a kick out of rollercoasters" - this usage is a little more obscure in that it means "I enjoy rollercoasters." I'm not sure of the etymology, but it also leads to the usage of "I did cocaine once, just for kicks." Sort of a frivilous fun enjoyment.

I can't think of other usages aside from the 'normal' one and these others.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-10, 14:49

In this case you'd probably go with "tipped" or "bumped".

Both are similar, but aren't tied to your feet, and imply less force than kicked.

And by the way, although you say your English isn't that good, I think we could hire you to give lessons to at least a third of the people who post in the rumor threads.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-10, 20:52

Uhh...

Powerbook?

SMS?

Something doesn't make sense.

I guess Apple overlooked the acronym for their safety mechanism when it was designed.

You ask me for a hamburger.