User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

People with old powerbooks, please respond!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
People with old powerbooks, please respond!
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-02-25, 23:26

So my plan is to sell my Gen. 1 Blackbook and with the money buy the best 12" powerbook I can get for $500-600 dollars. The way I use my computer I really don't need a lot of processor speed or the intel chips or anything like that. The only stuff I do for school on it involves taking notes, writing papers, and doing problem sets online (just entering answers really). I've come to the realization that I really don't need any benefits the macbook offers over a 12" powerbook. I just had a few concerns that I would like to ask about...

-what's the max ram in the powerbook?
-with max ram (or without), how well does the computer handle ichat + safari + itunes + mail and maybe some microsoft word thrown in for good measure?
-any other comments regarding performance/usage?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-02-25, 23:35

• 1.25 GB for the 12" PowerBook. It has 256 MB soldered to the motherboard and a slot that can take a single 1 GB stick.
  • Works great here on my 1.33 GHz 12" PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM. I run Safari, Mail, iTunes, Adium, and a few other apps on 10.5 all day without any trouble.
  • No complaints at all for daily "office"-type use. It's a little sluggish when browsing Flash-heavy websites, but I tend to avoid those anyway.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-02-25, 23:46

Selling...MacBook...for PowerBook? While I'd love to say "let's strike a deal on this", being in the situation of wanting to sell my own 12" PowerBook, I'm also shocked you're considering it. Even if you don't need the extra features now, who says you won't in a year? In two years? What if a new app comes out that would make your life easier, but it's Intel-only? Or when the new OSX release is Intel only? If only for futureproofing staying with your current machine seems like a good idea.

That said:

-Brad is right about the RAM. Actually, his computer also appears to be a twin of mine as well (1.33GHz 12", except I have less RAM and I have a Combo Drive, dunno what he has.)
-My particular PB has 512MB, and typically runs Adium, Safari, Camino, Thunderbird, iTunes, and TextEdit all at once, and it runs smoothly on this working load. Often Colloquy and ShakesPeer are added to the list as well. I also use HandBrake and Terragen, both of which slow it a little but it's still usable during. I can't talk about running Leopard, though, as I'm still on Panther! With max RAM you should have no issues.
-Mine's had exactly 1 issue: hard drive asploded in March 2005, Apple replaced it, been fine ever since.
-I have no complaints, except for the fact that my battery life was awful before and is acceptable now thanks to the wonderful battery donation. Of course, depending on whether you need more than 2 hours of life at a time, you may just choose to buy a new battery, or you might leave it as-is. It gets limiting if classrooms don't have a power port, but if you're using it around the house a lot it's not as bad. This has been the nicest machine I've owned in my life ever.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-02-25, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
-Brad is right about the RAM. Actually, his computer also appears to be a twin of mine as well (1.33GHz 12", except I have less RAM and I have a Combo Drive, dunno what he has.)
Mine has a Combo Drive as well, not the Super Drive.

Quote:
-Mine's had exactly 1 issue: hard drive asploded in March 2005, Apple replaced it, been fine ever since.
Ah, yes. I forgot that I had my drive replaced by Apple for free back in early 2005 also. Maybe Apple got a batch of bad drives for our PBs.

Also, I should mention that this thing tends to run super-cool, especially compared to my wife's first-gen MacBook. My old PowerBook is usually cooler (at least to the touch) and quieter with the fan revving up less often than hers, amazingly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-02-26, 00:08

my reasons:
1. I love the 12" powerbook, by far my favorite laptop of all time
2. works perfectly for my needs now and in the forseeable future
3. I can get a few bucks out of it
4. my dad's offered to get me a new computer anyway in a year or two so once I get that it won't matter what other machine I have really.

things I'll miss:
1. the built in camera
2. magsafe
3... that's really about it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2008-02-26, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Also, I should mention that this thing tends to run super-cool, especially compared to my wife's first-gen MacBook. My old PowerBook is usually cooler (at least to the touch) and quieter with the fan revving up less often than hers, amazingly.
This is a good point. Unless I'm running HandBrake or Terragen, it tends to be silent and cool all of the time. It's also heated up when I've played games like Jedi Academy, but it makes sense for it to be hot then.

twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-02-26, 00:29

5th reason: baldur's gate 1 haha
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-02-26, 08:41

Don't do it. PPCs are on the way out, and no matter how little processor speed you think you'll need, the speed of a PowerBook as compared to a MacBook will frustrate you.
veryamusing

2008-02-26, 17:26

Coach:

2. I overbought when I purchased my 15" PowerBook G4 (1.67GHz/1GB RAM/128MB VRAM/100GB HD) in July of 2005, in an attempt to be "future proof." But I haven't upgraded anything on it, and don't anticipate needing to until next year at the earliest; that's how well-equipped it is to handle everything I need it to. I typically have going at any given time Mail, Safari, iChat, iTunes, iCal, Word and Excel. I don't do any heavy-lifting with it, and to be honest with you I don't think it could handle it, but it sounds like it'd be well-suited to your needs.

3. Leopard was a leap forward, because prior to moving from Tiger I was considering upping the RAM to 2GB. I do get the occasional spinning beachball and sluggishness, but that may be because I've only got ~7GB of disk space remaining... (A Time Capsule is on order for this very reason!)

I really like mine and would highly recommend it to you. Intel isn't everything. And for perspective, I also own a black MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz, etc., and actually prefer using the PowerBook!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-02-26, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
I also own a black MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz, etc., and actually prefer using the PowerBook!
*Why* do you prefer using the PB, if I may ask?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-02-26, 18:15

Most likely because the Powerbook has a nicer keyboard, like the MBP.
beardedmacuser

2008-02-26, 18:45

And a larger screen with a higher resolution.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-02-26, 19:08

Powerbook = 12" screen
MacBook = 13.3" screen

So 12" > 13.3"?

Hmm. I learn something new every day.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-02-26, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Powerbook = 12" screen
MacBook = 13.3" screen

So 12" > 13.3"?

Hmm. I learn something new every day.
The person in question, veryamusing, has a 15" PowerBook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
I overbought when I purchased my 15" PowerBook G4
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2008-02-26, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
So 12" > 13.3"?
I've held a MB and I've held a PB and I actually prefer the 12" PB size to the 13" MB size. It seems to fit much better on my lap. The 12" is exactly lap-sized, while the 13" MB is a little over, and the 15" MBP is just too big. (Of course, I am small and my lap is small, which biases it for me.) The new keyboard and the slightly bigger size are the 2 things I'm going to dislike when I upgrade.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-02-26, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The person in question, veryamusing, has a 15" PowerBook.
Touche.

My fault for reading quickly.
veryamusing

2008-02-26, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
*Why* do you prefer using the PB, if I may ask?
Of course you may!

I prefer using the PowerBook because:
  • The MacBook gets smudgy;
  • The MacBook has a glossy screen;
  • The MacBook keyboard is awkward (and not backlit);
  • The MacBook is uncomfortable to rest your wrists on when used at a desk; and
  • The MacBook gets very hot, hotter than the PowerBook!

Eh, this list may seem petty, but there's something to be said for comfort when you spend as much time using computers as we do.

Oh, and:

Oops!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-02-27, 00:38

yeah, you didn't tell us that part.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-03-05, 16:28

Looking like I might go through with the swap... found someone on craigslist that I'm going to meet with later today at starbucks. The deal is powerbook + some cash for the macbook and we'll each get some time to test run the other computer just to be sure everything works OK. I'll let ya'll know what ends up happening...

it's a 1.33 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM machine, supposedly in pretty good cosmetic shape and in good working order.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2008-03-05, 16:32

Wait, they're gonna take it even with the screen damage?
techound1

2008-03-05, 17:28

Quote:
Screens are easy to replace.
iThink therefore iMac

2008-03-05, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
Screens are easy to replace.
And expensive.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-03-05, 18:21

Quote:
that's not mine...
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2008-03-05, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
that's not mine...
Whoops. I thought it was- my error!
veryamusing

2008-03-06, 01:26

The MacBook in question is mine; I got it in exchange for paying my boyfriend's tuition this semester, after he had cracked the screen. At the time, I had planned to attach it to an LCD, but got analysis paralysis and stopped looking. Eh, for now it's serving as an overqualified nightlight.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2008-03-06, 02:37

meeting went well and i remembered (again) how much I love the 12" powerbook's design. We're both backing everything up tonight/tomorrow and we'll meet again for the transaction tomorrow afternoon/evening!