User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Mac mini not a desktop? (According to Apple)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac mini not a desktop? (According to Apple)
Baylor8306

2005-12-28, 01:03

If you go to enter the Apple US Edication store, you come to a screen that shows an agreement for purchasing from the store. The agreement quantity previously read:
Quote:
Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod nano, iPod Shuffle 1GB) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
However, it now reads:
Quote:
Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod nano, iPod Shuffle 1GB) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
It gives a distinction between a desktop and laptop but also, the most intriguing, it seperates out the Mac mini. With Apple putting it into a category by itself, are they basically confirming that they will be expanding it into more of a "home theater" piece of equipment and not just another desktop?
wecallitfall

2005-12-28, 04:31

crack out the tea leaves, for only they hold the true answer
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-12-28, 04:34

Yes, that it's time to put the kettle on.
wecallitfall

2005-12-28, 04:43

this cracked me up
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-28, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylor8306
With Apple putting it into a category by itself, are they basically confirming that they will be expanding it into more of a "home theater" piece of equipment and not just another desktop?
Nope.

They're just being more lenient in allowing students to buy more systems on discount.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-12-28, 09:22

What Brad said.

Discounts and promos have traditionally exempted the least expensive products.

12" iBooks were exempt from some promos as the lowest cost portable Mac.
Shuffles were exempt from some promos as the lowest cost iPod.
Minis were exempt from some promos as the lowest cost Mac.

It's more about margin and promo than about form factor per se.

This is just a clarification of the edu discounts and eligible products.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-12-28 at 09:33.
trevo

2005-12-28, 10:51

Nice try though
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2005-12-28, 14:02

I was very tempted to take a pic in PC WOrld on Monday when I was in. All the iBook stands empty. Shorely a sign
wecallitfall

2005-12-28, 14:44

Seeing as every other member of this forum does it, I think I should point out that you mean surely rather than "shorely"

What is it today? Retard day?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall
Seeing as every other member of this forum does it, I think I should point out that you mean surely rather than "shorely"

What is it today? Retard day?
Sure, it's an error, but jesus man..."retard day?"

Take it down a notch.

Last edited by sunrain : 2005-12-28 at 16:32.
wecallitfall

2005-12-28, 16:33

sorry got carried away

i can be a right arsehole sometimes
Baylor8306

2005-12-28, 16:33

WOW

This is absolutely amazing. I don't post on here much but when I saw this last night on the Apple store I figured I would share it and spur on some Mac speculation. However, it has gotten ridiculous. I mean, correcting someone with public ridicule on their grammer and spelling is just childish. I understand that grammer and spelling is an important thing, but can't we do it in a PM or something instead of acting like we are 2-year-olds? And just because "everyone else" does it isn't a legitimate excuse.

Can someone request a lock?
EmC

2005-12-28, 18:08

If I make a mistake I would like people to let me know. I would rather be corrected here than accidentally writing the wrong word in a paper or on a test because no one ever had the balls to call me on it.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
Batman

2005-12-28, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylor8306
WOW

This is absolutely amazing. I don't post on here much but when I saw this last night on the Apple store I figured I would share it and spur on some Mac speculation. However, it has gotten ridiculous. I mean, correcting someone with public ridicule on their grammer and spelling is just childish. I understand that grammer and spelling is an important thing, but can't we do it in a PM or something instead of acting like we are 2-year-olds? And just because "everyone else" does it isn't a legitimate excuse.

Can someone request a lock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
"IBL" (Batman's Clarification - IBL, or In Before Lock, is pretty much a lock request) gets the next person who posts it a serious smack on the wrist. It's completely unnecessary and only serves to clutter the forums.

Let us do our jobs. We don't need a dozen people whining in the S&R forum about stupid topics that need to be closed. Can you guess what a more effective method of discouraging stupid topics like this is? Ignoring it and not posing in it. The only reason a topic like this stays up is because fools keep feeding these attention whores with such posts. Ignore the thread and it will just drop off the list.

Ugh.
'Nuf Said

Edit: Just another note, ban requests are also big no-no's.

Last edited by Batman : 2005-12-28 at 18:23. Reason: Adding colors for emphasis
ronmexico

2005-12-28, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC
If I make a mistake I would like people to let me know. I would rather be corrected here than accidentally writing the wrong word in a paper or on a test because no one ever had the balls to call me on it.
I don't have time to read grammar corrections.

Last edited by ronmexico : 2005-12-29 at 01:12.
ZachPruckowski

2005-12-28, 21:29

Getting back on topic (off the grammar stuff), it seems like this whole list is sort of excessive to me. Any student in the position to be buying a desktop and a mac mini in one school year must be pretty well off. I've personally felt that if you are willing to do the rebates, something like MacMall or MacZone is generally better, because instead of a $200 rebate, you get like $350 or so worth of free stuff (because noone does the rebates normally).

Anyways, I don't think this is a sign of anything. I think that it's a sign of Apple trying to move more MacMinis (esp if they go Intel in the next 6 months)
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 21:34

Also likely is that students demand for such a dorm-friendly computer appered for Apple to add the mini to the discount list.

Also could mean a Mac mini price hike next year....Specially with the eMac dead...

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-28, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
Getting back on topic (off the grammar stuff), it seems like this whole list is sort of excessive to me. Any student in the position to be buying a desktop and a mac mini in one school year must be pretty well off.
Or not.

Some students save up for years to get these computers and sometimes an extra hundred dollars here or there can make the difference between getting a Mac and not. The Mac mini can be seen as a "gateway Mac" thanks to its low entry point. I don't think it is at all farfetched for a student to save up for a nice Mac, buy a mini at the start of a year to decide whether or not the iMac or PowerMac is a worthy investment, then sell it and buy the desktop Mac later in the year.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ZachPruckowski

2005-12-28, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Or not.

Some students save up for years to get these computers and sometimes an extra hundred dollars here or there can make the difference between getting a Mac and not. The Mac mini can be seen as a "gateway Mac" thanks to its low entry point. I don't think it is at all farfetched for a student to save up for a nice Mac, buy a mini at the start of a year to decide whether or not the iMac or PowerMac is a worthy investment, then sell it and buy the desktop Mac later in the year.
Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. I couldn't imagine switching computers midyear. That'd actually be something that I'd like to see friends do. I wonder what you can get for a used Mac Mini? I'm the sort of person who would never buy something like that with the intention of turning around and selling it. I guess that's why I didn't think of it. I just get annoyed about people who are well off taking advantage of discounts meant for the semi-struggling, because I've seen it a decent bit of it recently.
BenP

2005-12-29, 00:16

IMO the limits are probably there to prevent college students from buying computers for non-eligible friends with the discount. Like Brad said, there could be a case for buying both a Mac mini and an iMac/PM, but not really for two of the latter.
Baylor8306

2005-12-29, 00:23

I'm not questioning why Apple has the limit. I'm just saying that it is odd that Apple would seperate it out of the desktop category if they didn't view it as something more than a desktop.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-29, 00:27

I think the (speculated) reason for that has already been explained. Some people may want to get both a Mac mini and an iMac (or PowerMac). E.g., get a mini for your living room and a PowerMac for your work room.
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-05-21, 12:58

i always viewed the mac mini as a media center, perfect for remote desktop access for movies and music... but i wouldn't do much more with it.

although i did see a tricked out Jeep with a mac mini running a ton of killer features.