AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MS office

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MS office
cyrusmekon

Send a message via AIM to cyrusmekon Send a message via Yahoo to cyrusmekon  
2007-10-29, 21:56

Hi there.

Well im currently writing up my PhD thesis and MS office is plaing funny buggers.

Ill describe whats going on and i hope someone out there has an answer.

When i try to print my document it comes up with the following error

Now when this happens the formatting of my document screws up. This happens when i click yes, or no for printing.

I have tried changing the document page setup, resize footers etc but every time i try to print this happens and my formatting goes to hell.

The document is a .dot file, when i try to save the file as a .doc i get the following error

The reformatting happens at the caption inserts, and the cross reference txt

The document page is setup within the printer capabiliities.

Please please, anyone have ideas on how to fix this. Its driving me fucking insane
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-29, 22:00

One suggestion is to "select all" then "copy" the entire contents of your document, make a new blank file and "paste" those contents into a new document, circumventing the weirdness altogether.... a sloppy workaround I know. The other stuff I can't touch right now...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
cyrusmekon

2007-10-29, 22:14

Hi drewprops

Yup done that, exactly the same error.

Also i forgot to add, when the document decides to reformat itself, it changes the whole paragraph into "Caption" style just after the inserted caption

I cant tell you how much this is pissing me off right now. I just want to print the fucking thesis!!

Fucking word.............

Apologies for the language..........
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2007-10-30, 10:21

If you can get the 'Print window' up, is it possible to save it as a PDF and then print that? Alternatively, try importing it to Pages (if you don't have the program, do you have the trial version still?). Just a couple ideas.

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-30, 11:15

And you could try opening it with other apps too - neo office, textedit, etc. Hope it works out for you!
cyrusmekon

2007-10-31, 05:53

Quote:
If you can get the 'Print window' up, is it possible to save it as a PDF and then print that? Alternatively, try importing it to Pages (if you don't have the program, do you have the trial version still?). Just a couple ideas.
Hi there. Yes i tried the conversion to pdf however same problem. It tells me that the footer is outside the printable area.

Also tried to import to pages but back to square one. Pages is not really ideal at this stage of thesis writing. Endnote support etc. Its pretty crucial right now.

What i have done is revert back to Word V.X. The footer problem dissapears HOWEVER when i ask to print the paragraph after a CROSS REFERENCE entry moves two lines down.

For now i have deleted all cross reference and done it by hand for the time being.

Not ideal but i got the bastard printed.

So anyone have problems with cross referencing and Caption entrys. This seems to be the problem.

Thanks for all the replys guys. Couple more months of this and ill be done................