User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Long shot question: anyone have experience with custom bag manufacturers?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Long shot question: anyone have experience with custom bag manufacturers?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-19, 19:01

Short story is I'm looking to manufacture some carrying cases, about the same size/function as a camera case but not for photography equipment. I don't want to get too specific right now, but does anyone know of companies that do this? Of course I can find some online, but I was hoping someone here might have first-hand experience.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-07-20, 18:51

Don't know of any, sorry. Have you considered buying/borrowing a sewing machine and making it yourself? I haven't come across too many companies that make custom stuff without charging a lot for the customizations.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-20, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Don't know of any, sorry. Have you considered buying/borrowing a sewing machine and making it yourself? I haven't come across too many companies that make custom stuff without charging a lot for the customizations.
It's not a one-off thing, this is a startup idea a friend of mine and I are getting serious about. Still in the research/feasibility stage though.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-07-20, 22:51

Check out the bags on Etsy and see if there are any bag makers you like and then contact him/her. I'm sure there'd be some who would be game.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-20, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Check out the bags on Etsy and see if there are any bag makers you like and then contact him/her. I'm sure there'd be some who would be game.
Interesting stuff there. I've been browsing Alibaba and some of the other outsourcing sites but they all give off that trashy feeling, y'know? Googling has turned up a few American manufacturers I could contact as well.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-07-20, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Interesting stuff there. I've been browsing Alibaba and some of the other outsourcing sites but they all give off that trashy feeling, y'know? Googling has turned up a few American manufacturers I could contact as well.
I bought my current laptop bag there and the guy who made it customized it for me exactly as I had asked. And he didn't charge me extra. It's worth a try if you're not thinking of producing things in great volume.

edit: here are a few photos of the bag. It looks even better now that it's aged some.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-20, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I bought my current laptop bag there and the guy who made it customized it for me exactly as I had asked. And he didn't charge me extra. It's worth a try if you're not thinking of producing things in great volume.
I'd never seen Etsy before, but looking at the site, I'm not sure their sellers could do the volume we're talking about. It'd be closer to 1000 than 10, hopefully higher.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-07-21, 05:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd never seen Etsy before, but looking at the site, I'm not sure their sellers could do the volume we're talking about. It'd be closer to 1000 than 10, hopefully higher.
My girlfriend bought a MacBook Air sleeve from Etsy, and had it customised (made slightly larger than needed). Good experience throughout.

I have a feeling some of the sellers on Etsy are larger and more sophisticated than they appear at first glance, but I could be wrong.

Good luck, and if it works, fill us in on the details!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-21, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
My girlfriend bought a MacBook Air sleeve from Etsy, and had it customised (made slightly larger than needed). Good experience throughout.

I have a feeling some of the sellers on Etsy are larger and more sophisticated than they appear at first glance, but I could be wrong.

Good luck, and if it works, fill us in on the details!
Website should be online in about a month, I'll definitely let you guys know if we can get off the ground!
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-07-21, 13:22

Not sure if this is of any use (since I don't have any actual names to pass along), but I did some work for a guy whose business was "incentive" gifts-- he acted as a go between for manufacturers and corporations purchasing items to be used for rewarding performance, longevity, etc.

These items included handbags and the like, and if I'm recalling correctly were contracted to domestic factories and involved relatively small runs. So you might look into whoever is doing that kind of work.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-22, 17:11

Just wondering: are you thinking of using leather or heavy-duty nylon type fabric?

If leather, I remember we talked about a small leatherworks company in one of the sandal threads. Whoever mentioned the company had bought sandals from them several times. Any leatherworks shop usually manufactures purses, satchels and carrying bags as well as footwear. Might be worth looking into. For any small company, an order like yours would be great, and they would probably be happy to follow your design.

I heard an "intellectual property rights" attorney speak recently, and she mentioned *registering* products as a worthwhile (and not very expensive) protection of your rights. She was talking to a writers group specifically, but her talk could very well apply to all kinds of creative products. Worth looking into *before* you reveal your creation to the next party. She also mentioned getting a signed confidentiality agreement *before* you show the potential manufacturer your creation, that is, some kind of document to keep them from using your idea for themselves.

Good luck with your venture.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-22, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Just wondering: are you thinking of using leather or heavy-duty nylon type fabric?

If leather, I remember we talked about a small leatherworks company in one of the sandal threads. Whoever mentioned the company had bought sandals from them several times. Any leatherworks shop usually manufactures purses, satchels and carrying bags as well as footwear. Might be worth looking into. For any small company, an order like yours would be great, and they would probably be happy to follow your design.

I heard an "intellectual property rights" attorney speak recently, and she mentioned *registering* products as a worthwhile (and not very expensive) protection of your rights. She was talking to a writers group specifically, but her talk could very well apply to all kinds of creative products. Worth looking into *before* you reveal your creation to the next party. She also mentioned getting a signed confidentiality agreement *before* you show the potential manufacturer your creation, that is, some kind of document to keep them from using your idea for themselves.

Good luck with your venture.
I was trying to find that thread earlier. IIRC they were based in San Antonio too. Could be a good option but I'm guessing it'd shoot the total price waaay too high. As for confidentiality, the bag we want built isn't really our product, but just want we put our product in (it's geared for travelers) so we won't be giving much away by telling someone the specs of our bags.

Thanks!