AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

"Unleashed" October 2021 Apple Media Event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Unleashed" October 2021 Apple Media Event
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-18, 10:47

His spin is just part of Intel's recent marketing trying to convince their fans that "We're gonna catch back up any minute now, don't you worry."

I suspect today's announcement is going to bring systems with 64GB of RAM. Don't know why that jumped into my head, but it would make sense for this round of Pro machines to offer that. Stock machines will have 16GB, and user's will have an option to upgrade to 32GB for $400, or 64GB for $9,629.50.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-18, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It seems like Apple has moved on.
Yep.

Even if Intel were to suddenly regain the performance crown (which won't be happening for a while; maybe five years from now?), Apple would like being in control of its own destiny too much.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-18, 10:49

And this is interesting. This week is the 30th anniversary of the iPod and the PowerBook.

Earlier this year was the 35th anniversary of the Mac.

It's a year of anniversaries.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 10:50

Ken, your pricing is off. You know everything is "9" with Apple. 64GB is $9999. Notice no change, it makes you feel like you saved money better than those other stores that add another $.99 to the price. Heathens.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
His spin is just part of Intel's recent marketing trying to convince their fans that "We're gonna catch back up any minute now, don't you worry."

I suspect today's announcement is going to bring systems with 64GB of RAM. Don't know why that jumped into my head, but it would make sense for this round of Pro machines to offer that. Stock machines will have 16GB, and user's will have an option to upgrade to 32GB for $400, or 64GB for $9,629.50.
What do the current (for the remaining 30 minutes they exist ) Intel-based 16" models top out at, RAM-wise...32GB? I'd check the store, but it's down. I know the Intel 13" maxes out at 32GB, but I wasn't sure if the 16" did too (I've honestly never once looked at its page/section at apple.com, knowing I was never going to be a buyer/owner; and I've only looked at the Mac Pro section since 2013 to cringe/laugh).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
And this is interesting. This week is the 30th anniversary of the iPod and the PowerBook.

Earlier this year was the 35th anniversary of the Mac.

It's a year of anniversaries.

20th of the iPod, 30th of the PowerBook (feels weird typing that, after so many years of not).

I had a funny, evil thought a little while ago: can you imagine if this event somehow didn't see the introduction of the new MacBook Pro? We've all just been assuming wrong all this time.

Instead: AirPods, a new pencil, a bumped Mac mini, new iPhone case colors/watchbands and a re-vamp of News! Unleashed, baby!

That new HQ would be burned to the ground by tomorrow afternoon.

I do know two people who, should these be available for order today, will be doing so (both 14", or whatever the smaller one turns out to be). They would absolutely freak if new pro notebooks weren't part of the presentation.

I hope this isn't a "lifestyle"-heavy event, where stuff like webcams or music/gaming aren't harped on for 20 minutes. I'm kinda hoping this event gets into the geeky, under-the-hood power/performance talk (like last November did). Sometimes an Apple event can feel like you're watching a Macy's commercial or fashion rollout.

"Is there anything for a 52-year-old non-foodie who doesn't dance, skateboard or take selfies to give a shit about?"

Far too often, in recent years, the answer has been "no, not even a little".

I'm hoping a bunch of indecipherable, above-my-head tech stuff comes today so I've got something cool/interesting to read and learn about the rest of the evening.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-18 at 11:50.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 11:57

I'm really hoping I get to watch the whole stream. I have it going on my iPad in hopes that I'll be able to see the whole thing. I didn't take off work and my coworker is on vacation.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-10-18, 12:00

I am ready and prepared to take notes and make live threads! No longer either working at a Mac shop or owning a Mac, but maybe I'll be lured back.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 12:03

Music, right off the bat.

PS - The memes about Tim's lurching left leg will be coming fast and heavy. And they'll be hilarious.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 12:20

X is out, Pro is in.

Oooooo... Max is king!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 12:25

These presenters never know what to do with their hands. You should watch their hands. It is almost comical. There is no purpose just motion.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 12:32

Notch confirmed!
¡Damned!

2021-10-18, 12:33

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 12:35

I'm kind surprised they didn't go with a hole punch as opposed to a notch.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-10-18, 12:44

So who thinks it won't be under $1699 for the 14"? And over $2000 for the 16"?
¡Damned!

2021-10-18, 12:45

Super curious what the price jump between Pro & Max will be.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 12:45

More than ever they need to rename that $1,299-1,499 MacBook "Pro" to just MacBook.

This one today is the "pro" model, ffs.

And all this stuff announced certainly makes a larger, beefier and more capable iMac (and Mac Pro) seem possible.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 12:47

Really impressive specs for sure. Clearly Ive is gone! .

Ports! MagSafe!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 12:50

Short and to the point, nice!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2021-10-18, 12:50

No new minis. Disappoint.
¡Damned!

2021-10-18, 12:51

Short! Was kinda hoping to see what's in store for the new mini, but guess that'll have to wait until next year?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 12:51

50 minutes...tight, in and out.

Apparently that non-Pro MacBook Pro is still around, called the same thing. So pointless and unnecessary. they had the golden opportunity to address that and didn't. Too bad. Why can't they just call it "MacBook"? After today, there's not much "pro" about it. It's a really nice, upgraded Air, IMO...a solid, mid-range offering between the Air and today's beasts.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Really impressive specs for sure. Clearly Ive is gone! .

Ports! MagSafe!
The thing is a bit thicker and heavier as well, right? But not so that anyone would ever notice or care.

It's encouraging to see that chase to thinness/form-over-function era come to an end. They can make things slightly thicker (or heavier) if they value performance and power over "looking sleek" and design awards.

There's no way Ive had anything to do with this. I don't think he could've let himself not "go thinner, lighter than ever before".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-18, 12:58

If they remove the Pro moniker from the 13" it would really piss of those who bought a 1st gen Pro making it just a MacBook. Plus, there is little reason to change it. Drop it altogether though, that would make more sense.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 13:15

I don't agree.

Can't worry about what people think/feel, a year after the fact. Things change. They knew when they bought that they bought a lower, lesser variant of a "pro"-labeled notebook. They knew there was already a weird mismatch/poorly-named situation in place. I did.

I think it's more important to name/position/market things, going forward, accurately and honestly.

Nothing much "pro" about that 13" M1 as of today. Anyone buying a MacBook Pro this week is going to respond in the way I've been predicting for months now..."why is there a 13" MacBook Pro for $1,299 and a 14" one for $1,999? Why do two products - different design, sizes and specs - share the same name when it's obvious only one truly merits it? What, exactly, is 'pro' about the $1,299 model?"

Just adds confusion to the mix for no good reason, IMO. That 13" M1 model is a solid mid-range notebook (it's the one I'd buy if I were getting an Apple notebook) and it should be named/positioned as such, as it now definitely sits in that gap, in every way, between the $999 Air and the $1,999+ new models. Hard to call it "MacBook Pro" with a straight face after today. What was unveiled today are the no-apologies, balls-out models I was hoping they'd be. Anything that isn't that shouldn't have "Pro" in its name. The 13" M1 is a great notebook...but it shares for more with the MacBook Air at this point than the Pro. Basically it's an Air with a fan, two more hours of battery, a Touch Bar and a non-tapered design. Every other meaningful spec is virtually identical between the two!

Call it MacBook. Boom, done. Oh well...

I do think 2022 will force a realignment/reassessment of things, once everything - larger iMac and the Mac Pro - has transitioned to AS and tiered accordingly. It'll be easier to streamline and rethink some products. There could very well be a new Air in 2022 that surpasses both the current Air and the 13" M1 Pro, and maybe that's what comes to occupy that $999-1,999 non-Pro space? I could see that happening. And, at that point, they may even decide to ditch the "Air" from the name. All kinds of ways to go.

Point remains...don't call stuff what it isn't. Helps nobody and makes nothing clearer or easier to decide.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-18 at 15:26.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 14:56

From the company that brings you $700 wheels and a $1,000 monitor stand...

I don't know why this wasn't given a good 5-8 minutes earlier today!

I got a little black one of these in my original iPhone...back when Apple included stuff in the box beyond just the main product itself.
¡Damned!

2021-10-18, 15:14

Guaranteed fodder for a Jony Ive spoof video.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 15:30

"There is an exquisite tactile aspect to this cloth, in which every dimple has been lovingly crafted to bring about a complete feeling of..."

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-18, 16:07

Before this thread gets locked, I've been wondering...

It was 50 minutes, start to finish.

Does anything thing something(s) was cut at the last minute? The way these things are filmed, they can be edited to flow from whatever to whatever up until very close to the event.

Does it seem like there might've been something missing - a Mac mini, etc. - that got yanked?

This was a very brief presentation. I know there have been a few others under an hour, but this one just flew by.

On a related note...do you think this is it for 2001?

We've still got all of November, after all.

All those Mac mini rumors didn't pan out, but were they from some of the people who were right about what did happen today?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-18, 16:08

The event showed a MacBook Pro hooked up to a 4K TV. Outside of video editors, is that a thing?

If you hook up a MacBook Pro to a 4K TV, what does that look like? Could it be used in place of a monitor?

I'm presuming colour management is all over the place, but some don't care.