Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes just froze my computer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes just froze my computer
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-01, 13:56

I was listening to Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band as I was posting a reply to a thread, "lovely rita" came on, about 30 seconds into the song, I had finished my reply and I clicked submit, shortly after I hit submit, "lovely rita" stopped playing and my computer completely froze up. The mouse still moved, but all the windows were completely lifeless and the dock was immobile. Force quit did not work, neither did saying "what the fuck?". After about 10 seconds of this freeze, suddenly the music came back on, but the computer was still frozen, then the music cut out again, then it came back on about 45 seconds later.

I suspect it was probably due to a corrupt file or something, but it played fine yesterday(I've been on a beatles binge) The peculiar thing though, rarely does any OS X system I've used actually freeze up like this, sure programs can burp and mess up, but the dock is usually always resilient and can still be manipulated, and force quit usually always works still.

what gives?

OS X 10.3.5

I was running iChat, iCal, Mail.app, Butler, Safari, textedit and iTunes.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-01, 14:12

Does iTunes play that song now? I am guessing it's not solely the fault of iTunes. It may have had nothing to do with it actually, just iTunes couldn't get the information sent to the RAM before it ran out I'd guess.

Can't prove anything, all you have is conjectures, theories!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-01, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Does iTunes play that song now? I am guessing it's not solely the fault of iTunes. It may have had nothing to do with it actually, just iTunes couldn't get the information sent to the RAM before it ran out I'd guess.
it's playing currently, so far it's gotten farther than before.

Quote:
Can't prove anything, all you have is conjectures, theories!
I was hoping that people would provide more theories and conjecture so I(we) could figure out what was wrong, ya know, problem solving.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-01, 18:02

This has been happening to me too for the past few weeks. At first Eric had me running tests on my RAM, insisting that I had bad memory. All those tests passed, and every time my computer locks up like the way Wrao just described, it is when iTunes is running and playing a song. It doesn't matter which song either, it just eventually happens. I suspect Console might reveal something if you check it after the crash. I've failed to do this.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-01, 18:11

Also, it's important to note that when the machine is locked up like this and occasionally playing a quick burp of the song, you CANNOT SSH into the machine. I've tried several times, and it just times out no matter how long you attempt to connect.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-01, 18:11

i suspect jack is blacking out, and trying to blame his computer.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-01, 18:17

do you guys have your iTunes library on your boot disk or on a separate drive from your "Users" folder?
if they are on separate drives are they connected via FireWire?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-01, 18:25

Mine is on a separate drive, but it's on an identical IDE drive inside my G4.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-01, 18:45

I have had problems with iTunes with a large library on a FW drive, but it was mostly skipping and just problems with audio. Nothing serious.

This was a while ago, and since 10.3.3 (i think) it has been fixed. I haven't checked since then but there were a LOT of Apple Support threads about it back in September when I started having the problem... I'll see if I can dig it up...

my posts on the subject (actually, ALL of my posts PERIOD) are GONE...

Freakin Apple! Apparently they purge the archive every 90 days or so!!! WTF! that makes no sense!!!
well, nevermind then...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2004-10-01 at 18:51.