Credit Card Companies that SUCK

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Credit Card Companies that SUCK
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-25, 01:44

American Express

I use the card with large purchases (no preset limit and all that without the questionability of bank cards)... I pay online the full balance and my bank doesn't like swallowing 2K+ purchases, so they reject the payments. It takes AMEX a full month to get back to me, after which they cancel my ability to pay online and toss my account to one of their more questionable credit agencies (ones that charge the maximum interest on any debt which THEY deem will be paid back in parts, daily -- yeah, bordering on loan sharking). All of this for a yearly fee?

Yeah right...
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-02-25, 02:13

The credit card market is very competitive at the moment - I would simply shop around. The days are long since gone when customers have to let themselves be screwed by banks / creditcard issuers. If you're concerned it's worth getting a credit report on yourself too.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-02-25, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
American Express

I use the card with large purchases (no preset limit and all that without the questionability of bank cards)... I pay online the full balance and my bank doesn't like swallowing 2K+ purchases, so they reject the payments. It takes AMEX a full month to get back to me, after which they cancel my ability to pay online and toss my account to one of their more questionable credit agencies (ones that charge the maximum interest on any debt which THEY deem will be paid back in parts, daily -- yeah, bordering on loan sharking). All of this for a yearly fee?

Yeah right...
um...are you kidding me?

You probably will miss American Express dearly if you choose to get rid of them.

American Express is amazing. Their policies and benefits and willingness to help you is extraordinary. I don't buy any technology product without American Express. Their price protection and extended warranty make it an easy decision.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-02-25, 02:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
American Express is amazing.
Wow. I've no idea if you're right or wrong, I don't use AE, but it's interesting to see someone rave about their financial service provider. Very uncommon.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-02-25, 02:23

Discover Card

Some chick - Jacqueline Walker - apparently had the same phone number as me and for four years I've been getting calls from them that she "really must take time out of your day and contact us. It is imperative that you call us at 1-800-347-5518 extension 5650"

I used to call them whenever I'd get the message and tell them that they have the wrong number and I have no idea who she is.

The calls would stop for a month or two, but then I'd start getting them every day again.

That phone line is only there for my DSL - I don't give anyone the phone number because I only use it for ordering pizza, buzzing friends in and my internet connection. I've got the answering machine hooked up just in case the manager of my building or a friend can't get in contact with me any other way.

Currently, I have...

33 messages this month on my machine:
25 Discover Card
4 Hang-ups
3 Friends
1 Fed-Ex

AmEx = great customer service (in my experience).
Discover = clueless.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-25, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
um...are you kidding me?

You probably will miss American Express dearly if you choose to get rid of them.

American Express is amazing. Their policies and benefits and willingness to help you is extraordinary. I don't buy any technology product without American Express. Their price protection and extended warranty make it an easy decision.
I really won't miss them. I don't make that many purchases as is; one purchase every quarter isn't worth either the annual fee or the crap they have put me through.

I am really good about holding zero balances on all my cards, and AMEX has pushed ten or so too many buttons.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-25, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Wow. I've no idea if you're right or wrong, I don't use AE, but it's interesting to see someone rave about their financial service provider. Very uncommon.
AMEX has been very innovative, and their customer service always receives rave reviews. AMEX was the company that started online throw away (single use) credit card numbers. You might remember their commercials from a few years back where someone was interviewing online order customers and all their faces were mosiac'ed out.

AMEX is almost like the Apple of the charge (pay off every month)/credit card (can carry balance from month to month) industry because they've been fighting the MasterCard/VISA duopoly for years. Just like Apple has been fighting against MS in the OS space.
ironlung

2006-02-25, 10:08

Ive had AMEX for four years and have had a great experience with them so far. I had a purchase on my card that I didnt recognize once, I called to inquire about it but they just took it off for me. Later I realized that it was actually a purchase I had made but they were okay with it.

I also pay off my credit card balance every month. Once I made a big purchase with Amex, and then had my bank transfer the required amount to Amex as well. Well, my bank screwed up because they ran my check multiple times and thought I was out of funds so rejected my Amex payment. I called Amex, and they were quick to return the finance charge and keep my credit report clean. Obviously I changed my bank after that.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-02-25, 10:08

I love my Visa. It's awsome.

I have a gold card so I get the free extended warranty on all my purchases. I actually used it recently too
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-02-25, 11:20

Your bank canceled the payment you made, and you didn't notice it, but it's all AmEx' fault?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-02-25, 11:40

I ran screaming from AmEx years ago and haven't looked back. Not because of the card, but because of the travel service. They booked me on *completely* the wrong flight, then refused to fix it without charging me $75. I went around and around with the *rudest* customer service people I think I've ever had the misfortune to run up against, and when the dust finally settled, I called the card number and cancelled it. They were a bit shocked when I explained why. "But sir, that's the *travel* company..." "Yes, but your name is on them, you take responsibility for their actions and poor service." It really shook up the card folks. I got a call back from a regional manager (on the card side) basically inviting me back, but when I finished telling her what had happened, her response was "Wow, I don't blame you." Many apologies ensued, but I'm still AmEx free a decade later, and don't miss it.*

I hadn't had a stellar experience with AmEx card prior to that (okay, but not fantabulospectactiful), but that one took the cake.

Sometimes I look at the AmEx Blue, one-shot card #s, security systems, etc, and think "Wow, that's really great", but I'm still not going to give them my business anytime soon, there's no need to.

*True up until last week, when my new company card arrived, but it's not one I applied for or pay off.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-25, 11:50

I have a discover card and I love them. I only use my Visa when I have to. Most , if not all purchases go on the Discover card, and then get paid off in full at the end of the month.

On average I'm getting $400 a year in cash from them. Basically a 30 day interest free loan that they pay me for.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-25, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Your bank canceled the payment you made, and you didn't notice it, but it's all AmEx' fault?
AMEX should have emailed me when the payment was refused -- the transfer was through AMEX, not my bank...
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-02-25, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
AMEX is almost like the Apple of the charge/credit card industry
Hmmm, maybe that's a good comparison - in the UK and the rest of Europe many (most?) retailers don't accept it because Amex charges higher rates than Visa and Mastercard (Eurocard). Consequently there's relatively little Amex coverage whilst Visa is good in France, Mastercard stronger in Germany / Austria and both equally well represented in UK.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2006-02-26, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Hmmm, maybe that's a good comparison - in the UK and the rest of Europe many (most?) retailers don't accept it because Amex charges higher rates than Visa and Mastercard (Eurocard). Consequently there's relatively little Amex coverage whilst Visa is good in France, Mastercard stronger in Germany / Austria and both equally well represented in UK.
I don't know about europe, but in the UK I have never had acceptance problems, I have AmEx blue card and have never had a problem with acceptance. I have heard that a few places will not take it, but I think it is getting better. I also have a visa and mastercard, of all of them I love my AmEx, great customer services, and they are the only card issuer that will replace a lost/stolen card on the spot in one of their travel centres when you are abroad, most companies will only send a new card to you in the post.
I never really consider to question where I use visa or mastercard though, as in the UK all merchant accounts come with visa and mastercard as basic, so a merchant can't just process visa or mastercard, they always do both.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-26, 15:29

All I know is that my AmEx Blue Cash card is great. We use it for EVERYTHING we can, getting 5% back on everyday purchases like gas, groceries, dining out and 1.5% on everything else. We pay it off in full every month. It's like have a discount on living of at least 1.5% or more. We don't use it on things we wouldn't normally buy, and that's key. In the 6 months we've had it, we've saved $250 in cash.

The one problem I had with a charge (I was double charged for a conference registration), they investigated for me and I didn't have to pay EITHER of the charges until it was resolved.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2006-02-26, 16:19

I have just read the original post, it doesnt sound like AmEx fault, if your bank will not authorize a 2k payment online TO amex, then it is a failing on the part of your bank, not on the part of amex
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-26, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Joe*
I have just read the original post, it doesnt sound like AmEx fault, if your bank will not authorize a 2k payment online TO amex, then it is a failing on the part of your bank, not on the part of amex
The payment was through AMEX and not through by bank... that is it was AMEX's responsibility to tell me promptly that my bank had declined payment, instead they waited for over a month, etc etc etc...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-26, 16:46

I think it goes without saying that credit card companies are headed by a bunch of thieving no-good rats who want to thinnen out your wallet and line their pockets with greenbacks while polling the economy with nonexistent assets, creating a bubble and heighten false consumers' confidence.

And did I say I dislike credit card companies?