User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Clicking HDD due to oversensitive motion sensor?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Clicking HDD due to oversensitive motion sensor?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-02-21, 11:30

I have a 15" PB whose harddisk has something of a nervous tick. It will sometimes click every ten seconds, sometimes it'll run for hours with nary a tick. This thing is now two years old, has been dropped and bumped around quite a bit. But the disk still shows zero errors with that utility that was discussed in the park-every-three-seconds-thread and there is absolutely no system instability or flakiness (except it freezes for a short time when it clicks, but that's expected).

So I suspect the motion sensor is just oversensitive and causes the heads to park. Has anybody seen something similar happen? Is there an easy way to disable that sensor? I don't want to send it in because I still use it quite a bit, and don't want it to be gone for weeks.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-02-21, 13:30

Okay, BACKUP EVERYTHING NOW! Clicking is very very BAD, your drive could FAIL at ANY minute!!!

It could be SMS, but it is highly unlikely. Based upon the age, and your admitted poor treatment of the machine, I would not doubt that the drive is failing, even if SMART is showing as verified.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-02-21, 13:51

Yeah, it doesn't sound good for the drive. I wouldn't run any more tests on the drive until after you've got a fullback up.

While it might be the SMS, I wouldn't chance it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-02-21, 14:24

My MacBook's Hard Drive has been doing this for a year now, and nothing bad has happened. Apparently, it's failing, but considering how long it's been happening I'm still not overly concerned.

Now that I've posted this, I'll suffer catastrophic failure tomorrow. Just you wait!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-02-21, 16:07

As I said in the original posting, it's been doing that for two years now. There are no bad sectors, and I haven't had any problem with it at all. I know that clicking is bad, but this is clearly the heads parking for no good reason, and I'm wondering what to do about that. No reason to scare the shit out of me!

Furball, mine is showing zero errors and all green in that utility. Also, it's not doing the clicking as regularly as yours apparently does.