User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 18 of 28 First Previous 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-20, 18:51

Attention Grey:

The blue orchid flower farm (NE) is busted. Everything is working, but no flowers are spawning.

Just an FYI.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-20, 19:21

DAMMIT WHAMMER!!!!

Why are you breaking everything???

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-20, 19:25

I didn't break it you old fart!

It's busted all by itself.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-20, 19:32

I just wanted you to sweat it out a bit

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-20, 21:12

Actually, after further review, I DID break it. I forgot to reload the hopper with bonemeal.

Here, I thought the chests repopulated the hoppers automatically. Duh!

Oh, and then two creepers went off outside one of the flower farms and blew the snot out of it. So … I'm batting a thousand recently.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-20, 22:56

We may need for you play boundary MC for awhile....

¡Damned!

2014-05-21, 16:32

I'd considered making them automatic in the beginning, but decided the additional "click-click-click" dropper noises would drive me bonkers. The dispensers are enough of a repeating, simple loop that I can zone them out. A full dispenser is enough for 288 'plantings' (and there's a chest full of bonemeal next to it for refilling it thrice), so unless you're flower camping *cough*whammer*cough* there should be more than enough there for your flower needs.

Interestingly, I mistakenly left the Orchid Farm on when I logged out and when I came back the mechanics were out of whack. I think they might suffer from the same problem as the Mob Trap, even if a fraction of the complexity. Strange.

Speaking of redstone, there is now a small temple to pray for good luck when building complicated machines and/or planning machinations, and of course an altar to lay offerings upon. The trip is long and harrowing, but those that venture out will be blessed. Or cursed.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-27, 12:55

Someone (Brad or Turtle) placed a nice, little Wither Skellie spawner in Rankass Fortress out past the East portal. RowdyScot discovered it and was kind enough to modify it a touch, so we now have a reasonable source of Wither skulls.

Yeah us!!

There was no path, so I laid a temporary path. If you care, go to to the East Portal and keep walking through it. Then, follow the torches on the ground. The path is unprotected other than at the beginning and the end at the spawner. If ghasts shoot up the path while you're wandering about, please be kind enough to repair the damage.

At some point I will lay a protected path, but who knows when I get to it.

Also, keep in mind that normal skellies are also spawning and CAN REACH YOU!!

Thanks to whoever dropped the spawner and Rowdy for making it safe-ish.

Happy trails.

P.S. There is another, totally random Wither spawner sitting in the hallway just beneath the trap, so beware. I have sealed the hallway, but you can still easily get to it if you would rather tackle the nasties out in the open!

Edit: Never mind. There is now a protected path all the way to the spawner.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-05-27 at 15:12.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-27, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Someone (Brad or Turtle) placed a nice, little Wither Skellie spawner in Rankass Fortress out past the East portal. RowdyScot discovered it and was kind enough to modify it a touch, so we now have a reasonable source of Wither skulls.
Dang! I was wondering when anyone would find that; I forgot all about it myself. It's been there for months!

I'm glad it finally has been put to good use.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-27, 18:03

Quote:
We need a 50 x 50 space for a tall "trophy case" for Jess' dragon egg. The structure will be close to 100 tall, with an exact base of 50 x 50. We will need a little extra room around the edges (perhaps 10 blocks) and would like to build close to town.
I went to go check out the progress of this "trophy case" last night. Nice work!! I love the direction it's taking.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-27, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Dang! I was wondering when anyone would find that; I forgot all about it myself. It's been there for months!

I'm glad it finally has been put to good use.
Goofball!

Quote:
I went to go check out the progress of this "trophy case" last night. Nice work!! I love the direction it's taking.
It's reaching the point where the final design can no longer be hidden.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-01, 13:15

709 posted in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
This got me thinking - we've usually (well, in a lot of the worlds) had a hotel available for people to claim a bed near spawn.

Is it too late to move one of them over? bobsky's or Brad's PO would be most likely given their dual-purpose. The gherkin would be cool, but it's just a hotel (though lovely ).

[edit]: the spot behind the Ender Memorial might be perfect, if whammer gives the ok to build over that small wheat farm. I don't think he uses it anymore, but check to be sure.
I've been walking around town and looking at the map, and I think a more spacious and interesting spot would be right over the water! How about here?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2014-06-01, 14:38

I like it! I could even see an outdoor deck to relax having a mimosa while looking over the water. Maybe even steps down to a small marina if space allows.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-01, 14:39

I like it. How about some bungalows like you might see in Bora Bora?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-01, 17:30

That's too funny. I had exactly that in mind when I picked this over-the-water area.

Since you guys are keen on the idea, I've started building one of the bungalows, and I plan to construct several more. This first one isn't 100% complete, but if you want to take a look, you can get a basic feel for what I'm thinking.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-01, 21:32

Quote:
It's reaching the point where the final design can no longer be hidden.
I just took another stroll over there to check out the latest progress. Holy moly. All I can say it I really hope the spot of netherrack at the top scooches up a bit so you can dive down through the elevator shaft!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-01, 22:39

Quote:
… so you can dive down through the elevator shaft!
Jessyka says to me, "Dad, dad, we need to leave the middle open so we can jump down from the top!"

Yep. In the plans.

Funny thing. We were working up around level 200 and she took a misstep and slipped down the potty-hole. Seemed like about 10 seconds before I heard the splat!

It's a loooooong way down.

P.S. The Netherrack is there to temporarily prevent sudden exhilaration.

Edit: Nice work on the bungalows! I dropped in to have a gander and it's perfect! Exactly what the town needed for guests. Warm and inviting. Oh, and "built one"?

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-06-01 at 23:05.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-02, 19:34

Quote:
Edit: Nice work on the bungalows! I dropped in to have a gander and it's perfect! Exactly what the town needed for guests. Warm and inviting. Oh, and "built one"?
Well, yeah, it was once when I originally posted. I couldn't just stop there, though!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-02, 21:44

That said, the newly constructed guest lodging is clearly just that: guest lodging. There are six huts, and that's good enough for supporting a few new members as they arrive or for giving folks a temporary home near spawn.

We still need a post office of sorts for people to have their own named mailboxes for gifting goodies around. I PMed Whammer about using this spot earlier, and he thought it was a good place. Any objections? If not, I'll probably break ground tomorrow night.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-02, 23:49

Ground, um, broken.

I knocked a few trees down. Might need more, though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-04, 16:39

Out of boredom, I tossed together a small Post Office building in the spot we talked about. Don't know how happy I am with it.

If it doesn't work, we can build something else.

¡Damned!

2014-06-04, 19:00

Just took a peek at the map and I think that's going to be way too small. Historically we've had an indication (redstone torch) if an individual player had mail or not, so that might entail hollow walls depending on how the path from lever to torch is designed. I thought we might use lamps instead this time, just because we haven't (been able to) before.

In TerraNova there was also a neat addition outside the PO - a torch lit up when anyone had mail. That involves a bit more planning and redstone juju, of course, but since we're ostensibly keeping this world through 1.8 it might be nice to include.

[edit]: If Brad isn't able to get on tonight I'd be happy to lay a foundation tomorrow morning with the working redstone bits and leave it up to you two to design the building proper.

[edit2]]: How many mailboxes are we talking about, roughly? I'm guessing mid 20s?

Last edited by 709 : 2014-06-04 at 20:01.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-04, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
[edit]: If Brad isn't able to get on tonight I'd be happy to lay a foundation tomorrow morning with the working redstone bits and leave it up to you two to design the building proper.

[edit2]]: How many mailboxes are we talking about, roughly? I'm guessing mid 20s?
Indeed I am unable to get online tonight! Mid-20s should be plenty. No need to make mailboxes for people who never join the server any more. I'm thinking maybe these and then a few open slots?

Atariboy
BradSmith
bryson430
Captain_Drew
Dellphi
Elysium25
grendagle7
greychristian
InvaderJak
kraetos
LynnNexus
OwenReese
RowdyScot
SassyReese
SpecMode
stevuh
turtle2472
WhammerSlammer

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-05, 10:02

I took down the fantastic, wonderful, amazing, took-mo-forEVER-to-build structure which failed to meet 709's standards so there will be room for whatever redstoner business that must be built!

Actually, I wondered if what I was building would be big enough. Somewhere, deep in the cobwebs of my brain, a little voice said, "There will be redstone in this contraption. Make it bigger!" But I never listen to that psychotic voice!

¡Damned!

2014-06-05, 18:12

WS: I had to leave for the day, but I put some assorted half-quartz around and used it for the roof (seamless from below and textured on top? I like it! ), plus made a few minor aesthetic tweaks like iron plates and whatnot, but once you get the air-conditioners up I think it'll be ready for business!

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-05, 20:15

Looking good, 709! WS and I decided earlier this evening to go ahead and label a bunch of the mailboxes in alphabetical order. I think there are still six unlabeled ones to allow for some growth before expanding the building.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-05, 20:17

...is there a box #27?

I'm going to try to get back on the server soon. : )
¡Damned!

2014-06-05, 21:01

Quote:
Looking good, 709! WS and I decided earlier this evening to go ahead and label a bunch of the mailboxes in alphabetical order. I think there are still six unlabeled ones to allow for some growth before expanding the building.
Thanks, I had to split early (still out of town with limited machine access) so I figured either you or whammer would take that up. Ken was totally in tune with the Federalist architecture, so he's to be lauded for the exterior.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-06-05, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
...is there a box #27?
Only 24 PO boxes atm. Since this is just a PO without corresponding room numbers upstairs I don't think we have numbers, just names.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-05, 23:30

I'll finish up the details on Friday. I touched up just a bit more, but it's mostly finished. I'm thinking the A/C units will just be white with black tops or something.

Edit: Okay, so the Post Office is finished. As Brad said, the boxes are arranged in alphabetical order. We did this up front for a specific reason. However, there are 6 boxes available, so if you want to move, please do so. Just make sure to check your box for goodies before you move, and change the name on your sign.

Also, I added a notebook and quill to each PO Box so folks can leave a note when they drop crap in your box. Or not, depending on whether or not they want you to know.

Grey wired up the redstone goodness in fantastic fashion, so a light will go on not only under your box, but also outside the PO so runners-by will know something is in there. If the light is on, you might dodge in and check your box. If the light under your box is on, there is something in it (or someone is just being a meany-pants ). That said, if you drop something for someone, please remember to push their button, too. And maybe leave them a love-note.

See you quacks tonight!

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-06-06 at 12:55.