Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple UK Event - 18th September

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple UK Event - 18th September
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
chris e boy

2007-09-13, 05:31

Macworld UK are reporting that Apple have invited journalists to an event at Apple's London headquarters. The invitation says "Mum is no longer the word".

So what could this be? Im almost certain this will be an announcement about the availability of the iPhone in the UK (im guessing 1st November on O2). the tagline for the event would make sense for this because Apple have announced that the iPhone will come to the UK but hasn't given any specifics for some reason. Other possibilities (as listed on the Macworld site) are:

UK Movies
Quite likely, I think. May even turn out that Apple were unable to sell movies in the UK when they launched the TV Shows but have the rights to RENT out the movies which would explain some recent screenshots of strings in the latest version of iTunes.

Beatles Announcement
I really am sick to death of this rumour. Everytime Apple schedules an event or is speaking somewhere. Somebody mentions this thing. I don't see this happening, Steve already said he was hoping this would happen next year.

Wot do the rest of you guys think?
beardedmacuser

2007-09-13, 05:37

iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!
iPhone!

MAJB

2007-09-13, 05:45

One comment on engadget says that it is just a "take a look" session for the iPod Touch, and that there has already been one in Denmark. No idea how "Mum is no longer the word" ties in - bit weird.

I hope it's the iPhone though, but suspect there would be more of a fanfare if it was. They might be announcing the carrier...

EDIT: On reflection, I don't think it's the iPhone. The iPod Touch has just been released and if Apple released the iPhone now in the UK, sales of the Touch would be non-existent.

I think the iPhone will be released after Christmas (so still in Q4 as promised) so as to maximise Christmas sales of the Touch.

Last edited by MAJB : 2007-09-13 at 06:06.
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-13, 06:13

God dang it, does Apple Expo mean nothing to them?
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 06:53

I think it has something to do with how you call your mother.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-13, 07:39

Very cool. From the tagline its obviously iPhone.
beardedmacuser

2007-09-13, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJB View Post
I think the iPhone will be released after Christmas (so still in Q4 as promised) so as to maximise Christmas sales of the Touch.
Nah, I reckon we'll see the iPhone before Christmas. If Apple makes a profit on both the iPhone and the touch then why not have them both available for Christmas?
chris e boy

2007-09-13, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
"Mums the word" is a slang term which means to keep a secret. The tagline implies that Apple no longer has to keep the secret.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-13, 08:26

Ultra-thin sub-notebook. UK Launch first! Yay!

Only kidding.. I hope the iPhone, but am used to being underwhelmed by these things, and it may just be media stuff. Hope not though.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
herodian

2007-09-13, 08:42

is it just me or is the whole Beatles thing meaningless? Surely if you're a Beatles fan you will have their music already... therefore... why the desperation for them to be availble online?

yes, i'm not a Beatles fan

anyhoo... i'm hoping it's iPhone related. SJ did say at the iPod refresh that he wants to get more iPhones in peoples stockings this Xmas.

FACT x IMPORTANCE = NEWS
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-13, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by herodian View Post
is it just me or is the whole Beatles thing meaningless? Surely if you're a Beatles fan you will have their music already... therefore... why the desperation for them to be availble online?
Seems like someone brings that up whenever the Beatles rumour is mentioned - I know I have at least once - so obviously I agree.

But most people seem to think it's a symbol or something, to finally have one of the biggest groups of all time on the biggest online music store. I could see it being a big deal if all their songs were available in re-mastered iTunes Plus though.

You had me at asl
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-13, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
But most people seem to think it's a symbol or something, to finally have one of the biggest groups of all time on the biggest online music store.
That's the one thing. The other is, as Steve has recently pointed out, that people often can't be bothered to rip their CDs. Depending on how well-organized you are, the time and effort required may easily exceed the 99 cents for a song. (Think about it: how much money can you make in the twenty minutes it takes to find some 'rusty' old disc in the attic?)

And even if you don't agree that it can be quite economical, you can't deny that many people simply are too lazy. The iTunes Store is all about convenience; the instant nature of "hey, I wanna hear this song right now". You wouldn't go to the retail store. You wouldn't look for it in the attic. You would, however, search for it in the store, wait a minute to have it downloaded, then play. It cuts the barrier of purchase so low that many just don't think about it any more.

Here:
Quote:
Q: Many people already have Beatles music on CDs. Will they really buy it online if they already own it?

A: I do expect them to, yes. That's been the case with other music, as well.

I own every Bob Dylan album ever, but I buy a lot of it on iTunes, because I guess I'm just too lazy to rip it from the CD.
beardedmacuser

2007-09-13, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's the one thing. The other is, as Steve has recently pointed out, that people often can't be bothered to rip their CDs. Depending on how well-organized you are, the time and effort required may easily exceed the 99 cents for a song. (Think about it: how much money can you make in the twenty minutes it takes to find some 'rusty' old disc in the attic?)

And even if you don't agree that it can be quite economical, you can't deny that many people simply are too lazy. The iTunes Store is all about convenience; the instant nature of "hey, I wanna hear this song right now". You wouldn't go to the retail store. You wouldn't look for it in the attic. You would, however, search for it in the store, wait a minute to have it downloaded, then play. It cuts the barrier of purchase so low that many just don't think about it any more.
And they may choose to re-master any Beatles album into a more "iPod-friendly" balance. Some modern re-releases or compilations have been extensively re-mastered in order to reduce things like dynamic range. A large dynamic range (the difference between quiet and loud bits in a track) doesn't necessarily suit environments where there is background noise where you might be using an iPod (such as in the car, walking in public, public transport, etc etc).
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 09:36

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
"Mums the word" is a slang term which means to keep a secret. The tagline implies that Apple no longer has to keep the secret.
I was trying to be funny... notice the double meaning of 'calling' your mother?

Can't blame anyone for expecting me not to understand the slang in the first place though, as I have proved to be a little bit of a noob in that area before...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-13, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedmacuser View Post
And they may choose to re-master any Beatles album into a more "iPod-friendly" balance. Some modern re-releases or compilations have been extensively re-mastered in order to reduce things like dynamic range. A large dynamic range (the difference between quiet and loud bits in a track) doesn't necessarily suit environments where there is background noise where you might be using an iPod (such as in the car, walking in public, public transport, etc etc).
*nod*

Would be nice if iTunes had an LDR filter, actually.
trainee

2007-09-13, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
God dang it, does Apple Expo mean nothing to them?
I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping for a keynote at Apple Expo this year, but after all these special events there won't be anything left to announce. Apple Expo would have been the perfect time to announce the iPhone in Europe.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 09:54

Quote:
I was trying to be funny... notice the double meaning of 'calling' your mother?

Can't blame anyone for expecting me not to understand the slang in the first place though, as I have proved to be a little bit of a noob in that area before...
I any event, "Mum is no longer the word" is a lame tag for such an event. And it just might relate to the iPhone and calling Mum.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-09-13, 10:17

Buying Bob Dylan songs when you have the CD and are too lazy to get off your ass and rip the tracks might work if you're the Apple CEO, but honestly, can't people think of a better way to spend their money?

I mean, think about it. If you get off your ass and find two CDs in your attic that you would have just bought from iTunes, you save enough to buy OmniWeb, with enough left over for a latte. Or whatever. I'm not too keen on buying stuff I already have.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 10:22

To me, The Beatles are a symbol of my youth. Having their music show up in the list of titles will sort of show iTunes has a complete selection of my kind of music.
MAJB

2007-09-13, 10:45

This might be something of a tangent, but "Mum's the word" is a very British phrase, used on WWII posters etc. Does that indicate that whatever the announcement is will be specifically to do with the UK (rather than Europe-wide)?
chucker

2007-09-13, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Buying Bob Dylan songs when you have the CD and are too lazy to get off your ass and rip the tracks might work if you're the Apple CEO, but honestly, can't people think of a better way to spend their money?
Can they? Yes. Will they? In a world where people spend $5 for a 15-second ringtone, no.
chris e boy

2007-09-13, 12:09

Ok. I think this article from the Times just about proves the event is an iPhone/O2 announcement.

Im sticking to my Nov 1st release date. Just in time for Chrimbo then.
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2007-09-13, 14:52

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/803

Quote:
UK Apple announcement hints at World of Warcraft iPhone/iPod touch edition

Apple’s special event invitation to the British media has the rumor community abuzz. The somewhat smaller choice of venue and cryptic invitation, reading simply “Mum is no longer the word.” have left many questions, and understandably, many people are jumping to conclusions. Most people are speculating that the announcement has to do with the iPhone making its UK debut, most likely on the O2 service, and indeed, this could be part of the announcement. However, these people are failing to remember that Apple always leaves clues to the real focus of their events, hidden away in the invitations’ text and pictures for only the most faithful to see. And it is looking like this time the fanboys have missed perhaps the most obvious clue Apple has ever dropped.

If one were to analyze the seemingly innocuous invite, composed primarily of text, one may understandably be tricked into taking the invitation at face value. However, it is in fact the text itself that Apple is taunting us with. You see, the phrase “Mum is no longer the word” is actually an anagram, and a clever one at that. If one were to rearrange the letters in that phrase, they would come up with “Ed Whelming Mourns Root”. Since that means nothing, they would then try again and come up with the more revealing:

“Lord, now the Grum is on me“.

Yes, as everyone knows, Grum Redbeard is a level 55 dwarf located in the Starfall Village barrow den in the contested territory of Winterspring in the World of Warcraft.

The choice of the event’s venue is almost as obvious. Since Blizzard Entertainment, makers of the Warcraft series, were bought by French company Havas in 1998, which was subsequently bought by French company Vivendi, the London Apple store is the closest Apple venue to Vivendi’s headquarters (sorry, we don’t count the Apple store-within-a-store inside FNAC).

So there you have it. World of Warcraft coming to the iPhone, and likely the iPod touch. Apple ALMOST slipped one by us, but luckily we caught it. We’re expecting a letter from Apple’s lawyers any second now asking us to take down this post so they may attempt to recapture a small bit of the thunder we just stole from them, so spread the word!
Maybe there is something in this???

Is the regent street BIG enough for all of europe's press? I would have thought the iPhone would be HUGE theatre announcement...
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
Ok. I think this article from the Times just about proves the event is an iPhone/O2 announcement.

Im sticking to my Nov 1st release date. Just in time for Chrimbo then.
This quote from that article is funny and seriously impressive:
Quote:
Ben Wood, a director of CCS Insight, the telecoms research group, said: “Some operators feel [revenue-sharing deals] set a dangerous precedent on the way they deal with handset manufacturers. History has shown that doing deals with Steve Jobs inevitably results in Apple being the ultimate winner.”
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-15, 22:32

This LoopRumors.com article from yesterday is interesting. Not sure how accurate or reliable they are, but I like the final paragraph, talking about an iPhone software update possibly coming this Tuesday.

From the article:

Quote:
Apple may use next week's event to showcase the new features of the software which will include an iTunes Wi-Fi Store, and possibly other applications. Early expectations from RBC Capital Market analyst Mike Abramsky indicated that the iPhone update is very likely to include new widgets, peer-to-peer applications (chat, picture messaging, social networking), location-based services, MMS support, home networking and integration with Mac OS X Leopard.
Is that too hopeful? How nice to get a meaty iPhone software update, with some new widgets, easier ways to move stuff about, e-mail multiple attachments (photos, mainly) if needed, etc. I think I'd also like a little drawing app. Nothing high-end or powerful, but just a fun "time-killer" app, where you can sit and "digitally fingerpaint" while waiting for the bus or whatever. Some pressure sensitive "brushes", colors to choose from, a way to save the finished photo to e-mail or sync to iPhoto, etc.

iDoodle...

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-09-16, 03:35

"Mum is no longer the word"

Clearly they're going to announce the iMom.
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2007-09-16, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Clearly they're going to announce the iMom.
Being an UK event, I think you'll find that spelt correctly as iMum
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-16, 14:50

No, because Mum is no longer the word....

MAJB

2007-09-17, 05:21

Appleinsider are reporting that the store on Regent's Street will be open until 10pm on Tuesday (not opening until 4 pm). I reckon iPhone carrier announcement (yes, yes, I know, I've changed my tune!) and then selling iPod Touches instore.

I can't believe the iPhone will actually be available to walk away with on Tuesday but I will be heading down to the store after work just in case!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 16:06

Hey, what is everyone expecting at this London event? I assume it's very iPhone-centric, but I just saw some pics at MacRumors where there are black curtains hanging up. Now this could be simply to "block out the world" and prying eyes. But I wonder if there are products, displays and signage covered as well? If this is an iPhone event, why bother with the heavy secrecy I wonder?

Might just be curtains up to maintain the private, intimate feel of the event.

But I wish it was for something a bit unexpected and cool (fill in the blank with your particular definition of "unexpected and cool").

I do hope we get a meaningful, "adds some new fun and features" iPhone update tomorrow.

One of the people posting about the pics says this, and it's an interesting point:

Quote:
Whatever is up, if they are staying closed until 4pm after a 10am press event, it is going to be something very exciting. Apple won't sacrifice 6 hours of business at the flagship store without very good reason.
Then again, "very good reason" might just be the iPhone, being that people over there haven't seen it or really gotten a good handle on it like we have here in the States for two-plus months.

I want this to be the iPhone...and something else.

Should I wake up at 5:00am to follow the proceedings? Hmmm...