Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

MBA rev. 2 in June?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MBA rev. 2 in June?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Roberto Alvarez

2008-05-22, 06:12

SSD in standard? Any FireWire or USB more? Better battery life?

What are your guesses?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-05-22, 08:13

Perhaps an ethernet port? That would seem to be the biggest omission. I realize that kind of defeats the idea of 'air' but sometimes you just can't help be be tethered.
mjteix

2008-05-22, 08:16

MB Air rev.2 in Q3 (september?).

No external changes. Faster. Better battery-life. Faster GPU. Montevina SL series cpu. GS45 chipset.

What I'd like Apple to do is:
- Offer only the 1.86GHz cpu (economy of scale, price difference with the 1.60GHz cpu is only $31)
- Offer a bigger HDD (100-160GB) if available
- Offer two, less expensive, SDD options (Intel?)

Example of line-up:
$1799 1.86GHz 120GB HDD (or whatever capacity is available in 1.8"/5mm)
$2499 1.86GHz 64GB SSD
$3199 1.86GHz 128GB SDD
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-05-22, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix View Post
MB Air rev.2 in Q3 (september?).
This, or a little later, is probably a much more likely ETA. I believe the next-gen Intel platform suitable for the MBA isn't due for a few months after Montevina in June (??).
dglow

2008-05-22, 15:44

Apple: offer an MBA config with 4GB RAM, please... Parallels no likey 2GB.
mjteix

2008-05-22, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
This, or a little later, is probably a much more likely ETA. I believe the next-gen Intel platform suitable for the MBA isn't due for a few months after Montevina in June (??).
The SL/SP/... Montevina parts are still planned for a Q3 release, so it can be anywhere between July and September.
I only suggested September because of Apple Expo Paris, it could be a good stage to release the revised MBA, the quad-core iMac, etc.
And usually October is the iPod update month...
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-05-23, 22:47

Still haven't bought myself an MBA. So I'd be all over Rev.2. Wish it would come in June. But that seems too early. Sept. would appear more likely.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Jerman

2008-05-24, 01:54

If rev2 has a firewire port, I will have to heavily consider it. I don't need the fastest computer in the world, but all of my external hard drives are firewire (800 actually). Also, I use a Firewire audio interface, so Firewire is pretty much a requirement for me.

I used a Macbook Air this last week at Best Buy, and was so impressed with how it actually felt to use. The lighter weight would be so nice to have when I am sitting on the couch and programming...

Anyway, here's to hoping!
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-05-25, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Alvarez View Post
SSD in standard? Any FireWire or USB more? Better battery life?

What are your guesses?
I'm planning on going on a round-the-world study tour in January (HK > Dubai > London > Paris > Madrid > NY... WHOOOO!) so I'm now seriously considering buying an Air before leaving - the plane flights will be a good oppurtunity to work on my reports and I don't much fancy lugging anything much larger around the world with me, along with all the other crap I'll need!

SSD standard? Judging by the price of the current one I certainly hope not! The price of the SSD version will certainly come down but the price of the base model will be huge if they do that! Would probably be a bit surprised if there was no 128GB SSD version by the end of the year though - probably in addition to the two current models. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they bump the HDD size up to 160GB (the size of the largest iPod). For my needs, I only use around about 30GB on my current computer, so I'm not concerned about space at all - I'll take whichever option is cheapest thanks!

I'm not too sure if an Ethernet port would come in handy... I know at least one of the hotels has WiFi... A second USB port would be nice although at the moment I only tend to use a second USB port for my mouse, so 1 would probably suffice with with the extra-large multi-touch touchpad!

The thickness of the bezel around the screen annoys me slightly, so that's really about the only thing on my wishlist... I really just want a price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix
Offer only the 1.86GHz cpu (economy of scale, price difference with the 1.60GHz cpu is only $31)
Would certainly be nice, but this is a $300 BTO option on the U.S. Apple Store... where did you get $31 from? I'd certainly stick with 1.6GHz for my $300!

EDIT: Oh, and certainly wouldn't complain about a better battery life!
mjteix

2008-05-26, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Would certainly be nice, but this is a $300 BTO option on the U.S. Apple Store... where did you get $31 from? I'd certainly stick with 1.6GHz for my $300!
$32. sorry!
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-05-26, 09:33

You are looking at the wrong product mjteix.
The processors in the MBA are most comparable to the L7500 and L7700 (in special packages), so that's what you should look at.
Intel Specs (choose "Processor Numbers" then "Low Voltage Processors")
The special small package the MBA CPU is in necessitates a compromise on the voltage requirement, making them 20W TDP parts instead of the 17W of the L7[5|7]00 parts.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3203

Converted 07/2005.
mjteix

2008-05-26, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
You are looking at the wrong product mjteix.
The processors in the MBA are most comparable to the L7500 and L7700 (in special packages), so that's what you should look at.
Intel Specs (choose "Processor Numbers" then "Low Voltage Processors")
The special small package the MBA CPU is in necessitates a compromise on the voltage requirement, making them 20W TDP parts instead of the 17W of the L7[5|7]00 parts.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3203
No I'm not, we are talking about the next rev of the MBA, not the current one.
The table above is one of the upcoming Montevina cpus.
In the part number, S means Small package, P means "regular Power", L means Low-voltage, U means Ultra-low-voltage.

If the MBA receives new cpus later this year, those will certainly be the SL9300/9400 (small package, low voltage). My point was that Apple could only use the SL9400 model (1.86GHz, $316) instead of offering both 1.60 ($284)/1.86GHz models because the price difference will be only $32. We don't know the price of the current custom cpus, but it could be quite different from the Montevina (regular manufacturing) ones.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-05-26, 13:47

Guess I utterly failed to see your argument then, my bad
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-26, 14:08

Quote:
I'm planning on going on a round-the-world study tour in January (HK > Dubai > London > Paris > Madrid > NY... WHOOOO!)
Wow! What course of study is this, if I may ask, and what university offer this wonderful tour?

You lucky dog.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-05-27, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Wow! What course of study is this, if I may ask, and what university offer this wonderful tour?

You lucky dog.
It's a marketing study tour... so we talk to senior managers and marketers from DDK (ad agency), DisneylandHK, GM Dubai, Harvey Nichols (shopping centre), BP, Vodafone, JCDecaux (another ad agency), Loreal, NBA Europe, Xanadu (another shopping centre), Zara (clothing label that we're told is massive in the Northern hemisphere), Google (NY office) and MTV. Ask them questions, sit in their boardrooms, tour their facilities, hear their strategies, etc.

A truly awesome opportunity, I'm so excited! The institution would be Monash University in Melbourne, Australia Not confirmed yet, but my fingers are crossed, it shouldn't be too difficult to get into or anything. Expensive though! I have to work out my personal itinerary soon too, i.e. what I want to do between NY and LA

Anyway, what was the topic again? Oh right, MBA processors. Well if it's only $32 I'm all for it!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-05-29, 20:44

I'm looking at a trip to Europe in June (London, Brussels, Frankfurt), a possible trip to Asia in July (Manila), possibility of Switzerland in September, and definite return to Frankfurt in October. The question now is: do I (1) get a Rev.A MacBook Air now, or (2) hobble along with VPN on random computers and my BlackBerry until I can get my hands on a Rev.B MBA?

I'll have to spend my own money on the MBA. So I'm still inclined to wait for Rev.B. But there's nothing like the instant gratification of pushing the 1-click buy button on Amazon.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-05-29, 20:49

Buy it now.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-05-29, 21:00

Quote:
It's a marketing study tour... so we talk to senior managers and marketers from DDK (ad agency), DisneylandHK, GM Dubai, Harvey Nichols (shopping centre), BP, Vodafone, JCDecaux (another ad agency), Loreal, NBA Europe, Xanadu (another shopping centre), Zara (clothing label that we're told is massive in the Northern hemisphere), Google (NY office) and MTV. Ask them questions, sit in their boardrooms, tour their facilities, hear their strategies, etc.
That sounds just... fantastic! They seem to have an innovative business dept. at that university. I honestly can't imagine how much such a trip would cost. Does the university get a discount rate of some kind for the students signing up?

Quote:
A truly awesome opportunity, I'm so excited!
You lucky dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I'm looking at a trip to Europe in June (London, Brussels, Frankfurt), a possible trip to Asia in July (Manila), possibility of Switzerland in September, and definite return to Frankfurt in October. The question now is: do I (1) get a Rev.A MacBook Air now, or (2) hobble along with VPN on random computers and my BlackBerry until I can get my hands on a Rev.B MBA?

I'll have to spend my own money on the MBA. So I'm still inclined to wait for Rev.B. But there's nothing like the instant gratification of pushing the 1-click buy button on Amazon.
Sounds like you should get one *now* to me, no question about it.
apple007
BANNED

2008-05-29, 21:12

Quote:
I'm a pleasure delayer, so I'd lean toward waiting, but with that possible itinerary, and the fact there's no guarantee of when Rev.B will be announced or shipped, and with the 2-month delay fiasco that just unfolded with Intel and Centrino 2, ...

EDIT: If you really want to wait for Rev.B, why not get an iPhone or an iPod Touch? That would set you back far less than the MBA and be much more useful on trips like the ones you mentioned (in-flight music and videos; email and internet on the ground with a much better UI than a Blackberry).
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-05-29, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Buy it now.
Quote:
Sounds like you should get one *now* to me, no question about it.
My oh my! No dissenters? The finance minister would kill me if I followed your advice. Unless I hide it from her and only use it when I'm on a business trip.

Seriously. I have to transfer my Eudora e-mail archives from the 12-inch PowerBook to Mail.app on the iMac (or .Mac IMAP) and sell the PowerBook first. Then I can splurge on a MacBook Air. I've delayed migrating my e-mail since February, in the hopes of seeing a Rev.B MBA. Ack!

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-05-29, 21:25

Quote:
I'm a pleasure delayer, so I'd lean toward waiting, but with that possible itinerary, and the fact there's no guarantee of when Rev.B will be announced or shipped, and with the 2-month delay fiasco that just unfolded with Intel and Centrino 2, ...
Ah! So there is a dissenter after all! Thank you, apple007!

Quote:
EDIT: If you really want to wait for Rev.B, why not get an iPhone or an iPod Touch? That would set you back far less than the MBA and be much more useful on trips like the ones you mentioned (in-flight music and videos; email and internet on the ground with a much better UI than a Blackberry).
Well, I already got my wife an iPhone. I'm fine with my personal Moto KRZR, the work-provided BB, and 8GB iPod nano. Given that work pays for international roaming on the BB (T-Mobile), I'm not ready to get my own smartphone. And if I were, I would hold out for the 3G iPhone, which is just around the corner. Admittedly, I've been tempted by an iPod touch. But maybe I'm just a cheapskate or a "pleasure delayer," which sounds much fancier!

apple007
BANNED

2008-05-29, 21:26

Quote:
Seriously. I have to transfer my Eudora e-mail archives from the 12-inch PowerBook to Mail.app on the iMac (or .Mac IMAP) and sell the PowerBook first. Then I can splurge on a MacBook Air. I've delayed migrating my e-mail since February, in the hopes of seeing a Rev.B MBA. Ack!
Sorry, but I believe there's a 90-day cooling-off period between using Eudora (!!) and being able to buy an MBA. It's for your own safety. Otherwise, a technological leap of that magnitude could be harmful to one's health.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-05-30, 23:32

Quote:
Sorry, but I believe there's a 90-day cooling-off period between using Eudora (!!) and being able to buy an MBA. It's for your own safety. Otherwise, a technological leap of that magnitude could be harmful to one's health.
That suits me just fine, apple007. What I forgot to mention in my earlier posts is that I hate the idea of having to use a dongle to connect to an Ethernet network. WiFi is abundant in cafes and other public locations. But corporate offices, where I inevitably end up when I am on a business trip, typically continue to be equipped with Ethernet-only for cost and security reasons.

So, here's my commitment. If the Rev.B MBA comes with an Ethernet port, in addition to the USB port, I will buy one the day it's introduced. This gives me a convenient excuse for holding off on an MBA. Kind of like waiting for the US to start using the Metric system for me to seek citizenship, except that hopefully the wait on the Ethernet-equipped MBA will not be futile.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-05-31, 00:27

Yeah. I think it's time to start learning the Pledge of Allegiance, Escher.
apple007
BANNED

2008-05-31, 15:07

Quote:
That suits me just fine, apple007. What I forgot to mention in my earlier posts is that I hate the idea of having to use a dongle to connect to an Ethernet network. WiFi is abundant in cafes and other public locations. But corporate offices, where I inevitably end up when I am on a business trip, typically continue to be equipped with Ethernet-only for cost and security reasons.

So, here's my commitment. If the Rev.B MBA comes with an Ethernet port, in addition to the USB port, I will buy one the day it's introduced. This gives me a convenient excuse for holding off on an MBA. ... hopefully the wait on the Ethernet-equipped MBA will not be futile.
Unless Apple breaks from history, it seems unlikely an Ethernet port will show up on the MBA Rev.B.

I don't want to start getting flamed for being anti-MBA again, so I'll just leave it at this: I think the MBA is an amazing machine, but I wouldn't sacrifice functionality to buy one. If an Ethernet port is important to you, I wouldn't go without it just to shave two pounds off the weight of my briefcase -- two pounds someone like you might add right back anyway in the form of an external SuperDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
Kind of like waiting for the US to start using the Metric system for me to seek citizenship ...
If for no other reason, Americans' love of sports will likely prevent the Metric system from being implemented in the U.S. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-05-31, 20:15

Quote:
That sounds just... fantastic! They seem to have an innovative business dept. at that university. I honestly can't imagine how much such a trip would cost. Does the university get a discount rate of some kind for the students signing up?
Let's just leave it at "you don't want to know" As far as I know the uni doesn't get any discount although I'm sure the travel agent is looking after them. The uni gives us $500 for going, which is crap all in the scheme of things. The best thing about it though, is it's on a round-the-world ticket, so I basically have free travel within North America, more or less .

Quote:
If for no other reason, Americans' love of sports will likely prevent the Metric system from being implemented in the U.S. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
Because your football grounds have yards marked out on them?
apple007
BANNED

2008-05-31, 20:48

Quote:
Because your football grounds have yards marked out on them?
(American) Football:
"Hand-off to Tomlinson ... he crashes through the line for a gain of 1.6 meters."

Baseball:
"Rollins beats out an infield single after really hustling the 27.432 meters to first."

"Cabrera strikes him out with a 157-kilometer-per-hour fastball!"

Basketball:
"A spectacular dunk by Wade! He makes that 3.038 meter jump to the rim seem like nothing."

Nope. Not gonna happen.

(Now back to the regularly-scheduled MBA speculation ...)
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-06-01, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah. I think it's time to start learning the Pledge of Allegiance, Escher.
Honestly, Brad, I've given up on the Metric system becoming commonplace here in the US. At least my Japanese-built Subaru uses Metric parts.

So Escher reciting the pledge of allegiance is likely going to happen in 2009. The only part that scares me about the citizenship test is if I were to be asked about who the governor of my state is (since DC is not a state and does not have a governor).

Quote:
Unless Apple breaks from history, it seems unlikely an Ethernet port will show up on the MBA Rev.B.
Well, Apple did add Ethernet (or was it USB?) to the original clamshell iBook in the second revision. And Apple started adding CD-burners across the line after originally spurning the technology. So there is precedent. As Mandricard used to say, "hope springs eternal."

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-01, 14:09

Quote:
Well, Apple did add Ethernet (or was it USB?) to the original clamshell iBook in the second revision.
The iBook always had Ethernet and USB. Apple did, however, add FireWire in a later revision.

Quote:
And Apple started adding CD-burners across the line after originally spurning the technology. So there is precedent. As Mandricard used to say, "hope springs eternal."
But isn't the MacBook Air more of a downsized, simplified MacBook Pro, with features deliberately removed as a compromise for lower weight and thickness?

I think a more suitable example would be when the first-revision MacBook Pro had no FireWire 800, whereas its 15-inch PowerBook G4 predecessor did. With the second revision, FireWire 800 was added back.

So it's possible that, should Apple find ways to cram more into the limited space, they'll re-add another port. But I find it more likely such a port would be FireWire, simply because there is already a workaround for Ethernet, whereas none exists for FireWire at all.
mjteix

2008-06-01, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
So it's possible that, should Apple find ways to cram more into the limited space, they'll re-add another port. But I find it more likely such a port would be FireWire, simply because there is already a workaround for Ethernet, whereas none exists for FireWire at all.
Despite the fact that the motherboard would need another controller chip (space constraints) for Firewire, that would turn the "Air" more "Pro" than it is today.
Just a FW800 port would suffice since there are many FW800/400 adapters available.
I'm all for it.

Also, if redesigned as a Firewire device, the external Superdrive could better be powered by Firewire and have another port to chain other devices. And free the unique USB port.

From the developer's notes:
MacBook Pro: Both of the FireWire connectors provide unregulated 9 to 12.6 V at 0.9 A maximum (fused). Developers should design to < 7 W maximum sustainable power.
MacBook Air: The external USB port supports 500 mA at 5 V for 2.5 W.