Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Tiger Build 8A268
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-13, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I don't know if it's been discussed before now, but Tiger now has a hidden setting to change the pixel:virtual pixel ratio. So really tiny or really huge interfaces ahoy!
Yeah, that'd be the resolution-independent scaling that people have been whining for for years... now it's a stealth feature. Gotta love it.

This is going to make displays of all sorts (think small, think huge) suddenly much more usable.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-12-13, 06:09

According to the PDF, "Eventually, scaling factors will be a user-controlled setting."

So stealth feature now, happy lucky GUI feature later.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-13, 06:21

Yeah, and that combined with a few other details in that document... oh my goodness the next couple of years are going to be interesting.

BTW, that's the WWDC rundown, from June.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-13, 17:51

Is there a link to that document on any of the US-based ADC servers? I couldn't find anything last night.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-12-13, 20:47

Lol, is everyone that scared of the China servers?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-13, 20:49

No, the server simply isn't accessible. Not for some of us, at least. It looks like Moogs couldn't get to it either.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-12-13, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
just realized the server is in China... stopping download now for fear that Big Red Brother is watching me.

Watch out! It's a Chinese government spy!
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-12-13, 21:11

http://www.chucker.rasdi.net/mirror/...chOverview.pdf there you go, just mirrored it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-12-13, 21:12

FYI, you can check out a demo of the resolution independent feature in Quartz a little less than halfway through this WWDC presentation (streaming QT). Great watch all the way through, if rather technical for me.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-13, 21:17

Really, it's just the same overview document from June at WWDC - I don't see anything in there that hasn't already been leaked elsewhere. In fact, much of it is out of date.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-13, 21:18

Well, in any case, here it is:
Attached Files
File Type: zip TigerTechOverview.pdf.zip (980.6 KB, 12 views)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-13, 22:30

Barto:

Kick: bummer... I thought it had descriptions of the new features that were alluded to earlier? Maybe a different ADC PDF has that... I'll get off my virtual keaster and check my free acct. for something similar.

[no dice... don't see any Tiger PDFs anywhere for download]

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2004-12-13 at 22:36.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2004-12-14, 17:15

FWIW, that crackpot John Manzione has a bunch of screenshots up of build 8A323:

http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=540_0_10_0
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-12-14, 18:00

Some interesting Safari menu tidbits and the More Info thing was neat though I think that's old news.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-14, 18:11

*sigh*

Apple's UI direction keeps getting more and more haphazard every time I see updated pictures like this. It's a sad shame. Mac OS X gave 'em a clean slate to work on regarding the interface and here they go fucking it all up far worse than the Classic Mac OS or even Windows.

Sure, Apple's got big gorgeous icons and gradients and alphas and such, but none of that means a hell of a lot of none of the apps are consistent among each other.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-12-14, 18:27

From John 'I am going to stop writing MacNet if you're nasty to me again' Manzione:

Quote:
Along with tons of new features and plenty of polish, Tiger’s biggest gain is in the area of speed.
Cool.

I. Love. Speed.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-12-14, 18:27

200th post! Yay!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-14, 18:31

Brad: Such as?
Quagmire
meh

2004-12-14, 20:12

This is related to Tiger itself and coreimage. Even though my GPU is the 5200, I am hearing at other Mac sites especially Macrumors that coreimage requires 64 MB of Vram to work. As I stated above I have the 5200 but, the vram is 32MB. Will coreimage not work entirely or will it just be slower than if my 5200 was 64 MB?

giggity
MCQ
Veteran Member

2004-12-14, 20:53

It will likely just be slower. I'm in the same position you're in. CI is functional, but it's certainly not optimal I assume a vram boost would make things somewhat more fluid.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-14, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Brad: Such as?
The most obvious example right now:

Aqua v. Metal v. The New Smooth White

And the mix of widgets that seem to have no clear definition or purpose.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-12-14, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
FWIW, that crackpot John Manzione has a bunch of screenshots up of build 8A323:

http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=540_0_10_0
The screenshots seem to have disappeared. Any chance that Brad "Quick Draw" the Moderator has copies he could post in this thread as a ZIP file?
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2004-12-14, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Yeah, that'd be the resolution-independent scaling that people have been whining for for years... now it's a stealth feature. Gotta love it.

This is going to make displays of all sorts (think small, think huge) suddenly much more usable.
Does this have anything to do with why Steve's keynotes look so great? Or are they just using a super nice projection system?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-15, 01:05

The latter, I'm sure.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-15, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
The screenshots seem to have disappeared. Any chance that Brad "Quick Draw" the Moderator has copies he could post in this thread as a ZIP file?
I got em. And that's Brad "Quick Draw" the Admin. One sec...

Okay, I recompressed them as JPGs. There was no sense in wasting bandwidth on them as PNG because he'd already done something to totally kill the quality of them; they were all grainy as if passed through some dither or noise filter.

Split into three ZIP files to ease server load:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tiger shots 5.1.zip (819.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: zip Tiger shots 5.2.zip (579.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: zip Tiger shots 5.3.zip (812.8 KB, 45 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2004-12-15, 09:18

I'm pretty sure "new smooth white" = Aqua.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-12-15, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

Okay, I recompressed them as JPGs. There was no sense in wasting bandwidth on them as PNG because he'd already done something to totally kill the quality of them; they were all grainy as if passed through some dither or noise filter.
They were passed through an "I'm a retard" filter...
HowardG

2004-12-15, 13:37

You didn't think those would last very long did you ??
byzantium

2004-12-15, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
As I stated above I have the 5200 but, the vram is 32MB. Will coreimage not work entirely or will it just be slower than if my 5200 was 64 MB?
CoreImage is a framework that's part of Quartz. As such, any applications written using it will (have to) work, but it will use your CPU to do the most of the graphics work, instead of using the GPU.

64mb will be the minimum vram required for the GPU to be used, and from what I've heard 128mb is what is recommended. It will also require a supported video card.

--added:

For example, on a eMac (which has 32mb vram), Dashboard doesn't use the ripple effect when opening a new widget. It does on the iMac G5.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2004-12-15, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzantium
CoreImage is a framework that's part of Quartz. As such, any applications written using it will (have to) work, but it will use your CPU to do the most of the graphics work, instead of using the GPU.

64mb will be the minimum vram required for the GPU to be used, and from what I've heard 128mb is what is recommended. It will also require a supported video card.

--added:

For example, on a eMac (which has 32mb vram), Dashboard doesn't use the ripple effect when opening a new widget. It does on the iMac G5.
Unless something's changed (which is possible... I have no access to new builds), the above doesn't sound entirely accurate. Dashboard doesn't use the ripple effect on the eMac because it doesn't have a CI capable GPU (Radeon 9200), not because it has 32mb vram. The iMac G5 does it, because it has a 5200FX Ultra, which is supported.

My PB with a 32MB Fx5200 Go does the ripple as well (as it should, it's in the list of supported GPUs), though slowly. As stated above, my guess is due to the lesser vram, it's not as fluid.