User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New PowerBook
del-uks

2005-01-22, 10:59

So it sounds like we're about to get a new PowerBook line pretty soon... ( next tuesday?... http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0501briefly2.html )

And despite recent rumors ( http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050114A7040.html ) the long-awaited G5 PowerBook is apparently not ready yet.

If we look at the speculated details about the upcomoing PowerBook line ( http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050114A7040.html ), we can be quite disappointed... 9 months of wait for a speed bump of 170 MHz!... and they don't even think about a 7200 rpm HD or any better graphic card option...

Let's refresh our memory:

-First G line PowerBook was introduced in november 1997 with a G3 processor at 250 MHz. Then, there was no iBook and no iMac either.
At its time, it was the fastest notebook in world!

-First iMac appeared in May 1998 with a G3 processor at just 233 MHz, that is to say the slowest clockspeed available in the PowerBook line wich was available from 233 to 292 MHz. Nevertheless, as you may know, it was a real bestseller.

-First iBook line only appeared in July 1999 with G3 processors at 300 and 366 MHz, when iMacs where G3 at 266 and 333 MHz, and PowerBooks where G3 at 333MHz and 400 MHz. The iBook line was a real revolution making Apple laptops affordable at a respectable clockspeed.

-First PowerBooks G4 400 and 500Mhz where introduced in january 2001. In the meantime iBooks where G3 366 or 466, and iMacs where G3 from 266 or 333 MHz, then (from february 2001) from 400 to 600 MHz.

-First iMac G4 line came up in january 2002, with clockspeeds at 700 and 800 MHz, while iBooks where G3 at 500 and 600 MHz and PowerBooks where G4 at 550 and 667 MHz, then (from april 2002) at 667 and 800 MHz.
For three months, the iMac line had faster processors than the "pro" PowerBook line for the first time!

-First iBook G4 line was introduced in october 2003 at 800, 933 MHz and 1 GHz, when iMacs where G4 at 1 and 1.25 GHz and PowerBook where G4 at 1, 1.25 and 1.33 GHz. Since then, the fastest iBooks stay close to the slowest PowerBooks.

-In August 2004, Apple introduced the first iMac G5 line at 1.6 and 1.8 GHz.

Now, for the first time, there is a clear gap between the iMac line and the PowerBook line wich stays until now with G4 processors at slower clockspeed... making the iMac the second choice in term of performance after the PowerMac line.

Let's take a look at the Apple's Q1 2005 conference call ( from AppleInsider: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=837 ):

"-Apple shipped 456,000 iMacs and eMacs (combined), up 101% year-over-year to $620 million in revenue.

-iBook shipments totaled 271,000 iBooks, up 35% year-over year to $297 million in revenue.

-The company sold 152,000 PowerBooks, down 29% year-over-year to $307 million in revenue."

Now, if Apple comes up next tuesday with the expected speed bump mentioned above, I'm afraid this situation is not about to change.

My question is: why the hell didn't they upgrade there PowerBooks when they did for the iBooks, last october?

After 9 months, the disappointment caused will just be an illustration of the lack of prospect concerning their PowerBooks.

Aleks.

BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-22, 11:14

Jeez, you're making it sound like Apple is going to kill off the PowerBook.

And if you're going to nitpick on numbers, the iBook was only available with a 300 MHz G3 in its first release (like the one I've got sitting in a bag by my TV). It took a while before they added the 366.

BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-22, 11:16

And...

If you really want a G5 Powerbook that badly, then go build it yourself. Or, offer to head up the team that Apple's got working on it already and see if you can whip them into shape.

Griping is gonna get you nowhere.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-22, 11:26

... and next lets look at the freaking thread that's already on this page about this very subject. This kind of shit is what makes a ban on newcomers to the boards look really, really good right now.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

del-uks

2005-01-22, 14:09

I'm pleased to meet you too guys...

Next time I'll keep for myself.

Quagmire
meh

2005-01-22, 14:24

When the Powerbooks went G4 the iMacs were at 350 Mhz to 500 Mhz. Right now the consumer line is heading the switch campaign. The Pro line is not the prime line for switchers. Why do people still think the iMac( desktop, consumer) can't have a G5 while their Powerbook( Portable, pro) is left behind with the G4. Right now apple could fit a G5 in the iMac and can't fit the G5 in the Powerbook. I think it was a perfect decision to do so. Have G5 power in an affordable machine. That is why I believe we will see an eMac G5 when the eMac gets updated( Tues?). I do suspect a G5 Powerbook this year. It will probably be at WWDC. But, there is also Paris.

giggity

BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-22, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by del-uks

I'm pleased to meet you too guys...

Next time I'll keep for myself.
Sorry, man, we're a little antsy after having had several "newbies" show up in the past couple weeks that had no other function besides spewing rhetoric about Apple vs. ThinkSecret.

Still, I think that unless you're in Apple's R&D, you won't know the answers, so it's pointless to complain about them.

I also think it's best for Apple to hold off on the G5 Powerbooks until they get the power consumption down to a reasonable level. No use in emulating the PC laptop builders' method of dropping in a power-hungry processor that can only run for an hour and a half.

thegibbon

2005-01-22, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
... and next lets look at the freaking thread that's already on this page about this very subject. This kind of shit is what makes a ban on newcomers to the boards look really, really good right now.
i really wish disagreements wouldn't be so nasty on here... isn't this supposed to be a discussion? it's just speculation and rumors, isn't it supposed to be all for fun? i don't see where the hostillity comes from - it just looks horrible.

del-uks

2005-01-22, 14:37

No prob.
I agree with BarracksSi... G5 PowerBook line should be available when it's going to be ready...
But why an update of this kind... this late?

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-22, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegibbon
i really wish disagreements wouldn't be so nasty on here... isn't this supposed to be a discussion? it's just speculation and rumors, isn't it supposed to be all for fun? i don't see where the hostillity comes from - it just looks horrible.
I agree

FearlessLeader

2005-01-22, 14:50

The late update probably reflects that there were simply no faster chips for Apple to put in new machines.

A G5 won't go into a PB form factor right now, and it has taken Freescale until now to come up with a "bump" to the G4 chip (the 7447b).

I'm not sure Apple could have updated it any earlier ... (except by maybe a week or two)

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-22, 15:25

Yeah, there's already that big thread about PowerBooks and the gripes and speculation about them. Read through it to see if what you have to say has already been said. Post in it if you have something genuinely new to offer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.