Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Video Capture Solutions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Video Capture Solutions
old_blaggard

2006-03-02, 17:43

Hi,
I need a way to get some VHS tapes to my Mac. I have a digital camcorder (Handycam TRV-250), but unfortunately it only has RCA/S-video out, so I can't copy them over that way. None of the video capture cards I have found while looking on the net with acceptable resolution and price have been Mac compatible (eyeTV is too expensive, and there are a couple of Mac-compatible USB 1.1 converters that only give 358*288 resolution or something). I have a Powerbook, so I need it to be USB or Firewire (or PCMCIA).
Thanks for your help!

PS: Idea! Could iMovie recognize a Firewire converter as a camera and import from it that way?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-02, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_blaggard
(eyeTV is too expensive, and there are a couple of Mac-compatible USB 1.1 converters that only give 358*288 resolution or something).
The resolution of VHS is not much better than that is it? Just guessing here.
old_blaggard

2006-03-02, 18:06

Yes, I can copy the Digital8 tapes to the Mac, but I can't copy the VHS to the Digital8. There is no way to get them there: all the camcorder has is USB, iLink, and RCA and S-video out. My VCR only has RCA out. Hence my problem.

EDIT: About VHS resolution: Check this out.

Last edited by old_blaggard : 2006-03-03 at 11:42.
Motor

2006-04-28, 14:59

I am also looking for a video capture device. Preferably an analog-to-DV converter so that iMovie has no trouble recognizing it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at ADS and Canopus products but I am not sure of their quality and have not found any online reviews of their more affordable solutions.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-04, 15:00

Anyone have a solution to this yet? I need to capture some old VHS footage of old home videos so I can assemble a highlights reel of sorts for my mother's upcoming 60th birthday. I assume that between the RCA outputs of a VCR and the Mac needs to be some kind of hardware converter. I tried a Dazzle unit a couple of years ago for a similar project that didn't work at all.

C'mon, there has to be some readily available solution to import VHS a/v into the Mac for easy editing (whether that be iMovie or FCP). Thoughts? Thanks!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-06-04, 15:42

Well, if you happen to have a beige G3 lying around you could always get an Apple A/V personality card, and import video that way. However, if there's an easy and cheap way to do it with a modern machine I'd love to see it, since my VCR + beige G3 is my TV right now.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-04, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Well, if you happen to have a beige G3 lying around you could always get an Apple A/V personality card, and import video that way.
Er, thanks. But uh... no.

I'm looking for either a PPC (PM) solution or Intel (MBP) solution. There's gotta be something, folks!
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-06-04, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball
The resolution of VHS is not much better than that is it? Just guessing here.
Wouldn't it be 640x480, since it was designed for many of the TVs we still use today?
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-06-04, 19:04

http://www.synchrotech.com/product-1...verter_01.html
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-06-04, 19:15

You could find someone with a PC and a Pinnacle capture card.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-06-05, 04:39

old_blaggard & EngineJoe, Motor already mentioned Canopus. Did you take a look at their products yet?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-05, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
old_blaggard & EngineJoe, Motor already mentioned Canopus. Did you take a look at their products yet?
I'm going to be trying out the 110 model in a couple of days. I'll report back on the results if you're interested.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-06-05, 07:01

Yes. Please report your experiences. I'm interested and probably not the only one.