AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

I wish Yahoo! Music worked on the Mac.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I wish Yahoo! Music worked on the Mac.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-08, 16:58

Their Unlimited plan is a pretty good deal. Even though they make you pay for a full year now to get the awesome $5.99 rate. (You used to pay for three months at a time.) And they make you pay $11.99 a month if you want to put music on a portable audio player. (Or $14.99, if you don't pay for a full year.)

And, of course, you lose all your music if you stop paying your Yahoo tax.

But it's still not a bad deal. I mean, all the music I really love and want to own forever I'd buy on CD anyway. It would basically be like buying one magical mix CD per month that included almost every song I'd ever want. I'd buy that.

And if you pay for it with a Mastercard, you get two years for the price of one. And no mail-in rebate shit. So that basically brings the price back down to six bucks a month for all-you-can-eat music for your PC and portable player.

But that's the problem. It's for the PC, not the Mac. And it doesn't work on the iPod, either.

I know you all hate subscription services, and maybe I am being a bit short-sighted, but there really is no way I could pay a buck a song for every song I want to listen to.

Which is why pretty much everybody I know still pirates music.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-03-08, 17:06

If I'm going to subscribe to something, I would get a satellite radio service rather than something like that.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-03-08, 17:08

What would be a price you'd be willing to pay per song? I'd wager to say that most people don't believe that they should have to pay for EVERY song they want*, but don't have a problem paying a buck/song for the stuff they love.

I have no idea how the music industry can get around this issue. I think they should go to an honor system. Pay for what you want to support and get the rest for free. (Of course this would significantly cut down on pop music because most it's crap. But that's not a bad thing.)

* this is no a value judgement. Much of what's out there isn't worth paying for on an item-by-item basis.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-08, 19:38

I just have such a problem with "renting" music. Aside from the fact that it would entrench DRM for eternity, it just doesn't seem right.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-03-08, 19:52

My problem would be what happens when it's another "Play for Sure" debacle where today's DRM doesn't work with tomorrow's devices, because lo and behold someone cracked the DRM.

No thanks. I think I'll buy my music and keep my music. I don't need some dipwad at corporate headquarters trying to wring another dollar a month out of me.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
rasmits
rams it

2007-03-08, 21:59

I wouldn't mind Yahoo music just for the online listening capabilities.

Then if I liked a song, I'd buy it in iTunes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-03-09, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
I wouldn't mind Yahoo music just for the online listening capabilities.

Then if I liked a song, I'd buy it in iTunes.
I would do that, but iTunes don't work with the music phone I'm looking at getting anyway, so...