Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

eMac G5 put on hold. G4 model back in production

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
eMac G5 put on hold. G4 model back in production
Quagmire
meh

2004-11-24, 23:06

AI reports the eMac G5 was put on hold and the current G4 is back in production. The main culprit for the delay is the shortage of the G5 chips. The emac G5 was going to use the 1.6 Ghz G5 but, they want the chips to go to the iMac G5. Also, the G5 eMac was going to have a significant component reorganization. Apple is planning to release the new eMac revision in early 2005. Which sounds to me it would be MWSF.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=760

giggity
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-11-24, 23:56

I don't think there even is an eMac G5. What's the point of it? A school doesn't need a G5. Yes, I know a lot of consumers have eMac's at home, but they just want an inexpensive computer, not a G5. If you want a G5, you buy a iMac for another few hundred. The eMac should just simply stay at a G4, and maybe drop to 5-699.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-25, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
they just want an inexpensive computer, not a G5.
Because god forbid Apple offer power at an affordable price.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-11-25, 02:04

if the g5 and g4 are the same costs, go g5....

i've heard that the g5 might be cheaper than the g4

ibm just needs to start making lots of them, especially if the ipod is helping mac sales

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-11-25, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
if the g5 and g4 are the same costs, go g5....

i've heard that the g5 might be cheaper than the g4

ibm just needs to start making lots of them, especially if the ipod is helping mac sales

g
Sorry gelding, doesn't make sense.

The G5 may cost a bit less, but the whole system around it would need to be redeveloped. No cost savings there.
ja0912

2004-11-26, 10:03

I'm thinking they wanted to have as many iMacs to sell as possible. I think this is more of a "we're selling more iMacs than expected and are in no hurry with the eMac" situation than a "IBM is providing fewer chips than we expected" situation. Not that IBM is producing tons of chips, but I'm sure their production ability had been factored into plans.

A cheaper eMac is currently a horrible idea for a company in Apple's position.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 11:33

Incidentally, is there, these days, any sign that the G4 chip is itself still under development for revisions, or is it essentially stagnant technology at this stage?
nowayout11

2004-11-26, 23:40

The question isn't what's the point, the question is, why not? Technology and products evolve.
ja0912

2004-11-27, 19:25

Just no one say that Apple would never put a G5 in an eMac before a Powerbook, or I'll flip. Powerbooks are irrelevant to eMacs.

With that said, I think the Powerbook will be G5 first. Not due to Apple speficially planning that, just fate. And I think it will happen in their next real revisions. But what do I know.
Quagmire
meh

2004-11-27, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja0912
Just no one say that Apple would never put a G5 in an eMac before a Powerbook, or I'll flip. Powerbooks are irrelevant to eMacs.

With that said, I think the Powerbook will be G5 first. Not due to Apple speficially planning that, just fate. And I think it will happen in their next real revisions. But what do I know.

Nah, the eMac will be the first to be introed at MWSF. But, the Pbook G5 will be the "one more thing". I don't think the eMac G5 would see the surprisement as an one more thing than the G5 pbook as the one more thing.

giggity
ja0912

2004-11-28, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Nah, the eMac will be the first to be introed at MWSF. But, the Pbook G5 will be the "one more thing". I don't think the eMac G5 would see the surprisement as an one more thing than the G5 pbook as the one more thing.
I would agree, if they were both to happen at MWSF. Both happening at the same event would be surprisement enough.