User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPod Touch won't charge

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Touch won't charge
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-09-09, 14:22

My 10 month old iPod Touch won't charge when I attach it to my computer (or my car-charger, or my iPod docking alarm clock), but it will sync to the computer, and will not run down power when connected to a power source; it just won't charge up.

Any ideas?

I have the receipt in an email somewhere. I bought it from the Apple Store in Glasgow on the launch day of Leopard. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll swap it over for a new model....
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 19:35

The weakest link is the cable. Have you tried more than one?
Disko

2008-09-09, 23:05

There's not much you can really do to trouble shoot problems on the iPod Touch/iPhone.

If I were in your position, I'd just give it a full restore to see if it solves the problem.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-09-14, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
The weakest link is the cable. Have you tried more than one?
Each device uses a different cable, so yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disko View Post
There's not much you can really do to trouble shoot problems on the iPod Touch/iPhone.

If I were in your position, I'd just give it a full restore to see if it solves the problem.
Updated to 2.1, and it's still not charging. I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to see what they say.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2008-09-15, 05:07

Blah.... waiting about in the store for a genius bar appointment. It's quiet in here today
Enki

2008-09-15, 10:06

I found my first gen iPhone sometimes doesn't look like it charges but it really does. Try a full reset and turn it back on again to see if it is charging but the battery icon's are stuck, or if it really is a HW no charge problem. I've seen this happen twice when the battery gets so low the phone goes into self-preservation conserve mode. Not every time though (I tend to be bad at remembering to recharge).
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2008-09-15, 14:10

It's being replaced. Not a new model though, but decent result nonetheless. They just happened to have none in stock, so I need to make another trip to Glasgow next week.
babyb

2008-09-16, 04:07

You said Apple are doing a repair or replace under warranty?
There's only two reasons they do that...

so it was a faulty unit or a known issue?
Can you ask them for us.. if it's a known issue others might benefit from your experience.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2008-09-16, 04:36

It's being replaced under warranty. It seemed like the guy hadn't seen it before.

I did get mildly irate I think. I hate nothing more than tech people thinking I don't know what I'm talking about.
him: "Did you try other cables?"
me: "Yes. Three cables"
him: "Look, it's showing the charging icon. Maybe the three cables failed at once"
me: "I know, but it doesn't actually charge"
ten minutes later:
him: "It looks like it's recognising that there's a power source, but not actually charging"
me: "That's what I said 10 minutes ago"

They're lucky I was planning on going to Glasgow next week anyway, since it's 60 miles away from me otherwise I would have asked for a refund.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2008-09-21, 13:31

New iPod is currently being updated to 2.1. Woo!

I was hoping there'd be new ear buds, but alas, it's just the iPod.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-21, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
New iPod is currently being updated to 2.1. Woo!

I was hoping there'd be new ear buds, but alas, it's just the iPod.
congrats on your victory so to speak.