User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Log4j vulnerability in the wild (major bad news)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Log4j vulnerability in the wild (major bad news)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 09:22

Ars writeup about it: Zeroday in ubiquitous Log4j tool poses a grave threat to the Internet
Quote:
Exploit code has been released for a serious code-execution vulnerability in Log4j, an open-source logging utility that's used in countless apps, including those used by large enterprise organizations, several websites reported on last Thursday.
So this is a big deal. While it is best known for targeting Minecraft, Log4j is used in A LOT of other application. Heck, the java based map generation tool I used to use required it.

I'm looking through the details to see if there is something I need to patch on the ANMC server for it, but want to be sure many saw this since it will certainly effect more than our ANMC server.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-10, 09:34

Somewhat confused by the explanations. My understanding is: Java provides JNDI for lookup purposes, and this also used to support LDAP. log4j, in turn, supports loading code at runtime (for plug-in purposes, I presume). Someone figured out that if they trick your log4j code to log an LDAP URL, that in turn coerces (old unpatched versions of) the Java runtime into trying to load that code?

Something in there isn't quite right, is it?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 14:34

Log4Shell is the new name for the exploit.

Now I'm still trying to figure out how I can secure the ANMC server...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-10, 16:17

https://tfun.org/2021/12/10/urgent-a...vulnerability/ has a few details on mitigation.
chucker

2021-12-10, 16:20

Also, if you rename an iPhone, you can (could?) exploit Apple's servers. Which, come on, that's funny.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 16:36

Thanks, I'll look through those. I think our server version is in the clear but will have to dig to verify it.

Actually, I just checked and we don't have log4j installed on our MC server. It must only be the non-vanilla servers that are impacted.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 17:52

I'm actually impressed that MS put out a specific guide for mitigating this with Minecraft.

The relevant part for us is that I updated our server to 1.18.1 earlier today so we are golden, server side that is.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-10, 20:33

Yeah this ruined my Friday night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 20:38

Yeah, I messaged some people at work and the COO. I also got to walk away. Professionally it is out of my realm!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-13, 10:10

Sounds like this really is a big deal, Revenue Canada (our IRS), took its online service down as of Friday due to “a global security threat”, I can only guess based on the the timing that this vulnerability has something to do with it. I can imagine their IT guys haven’t slept all weekend.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-13, 10:12

Oh yeah, it is huge actually. Some of my coworkers are scrambling right now due to this actually. Thankfully we are a small fish in the pond of the internet relatively speaking. Not that we are immune to a probing bot, but still.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-13, 10:15

I know there were some stories last week that huge chunks of Amazon’s server network was down for a while last week, maybe this had something to do with it as well?
chucker

2021-12-13, 10:27

Possibly. I believe they haven't disclosed the reason for the us-east-1 outage yet.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-13, 14:24

Payroll company has fallen, undoubtedly more to come.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-14, 09:21

This looks like a cool way to track/block it if you use nginx.. You also have to install LUA for nginx but they seem to provide all the documents for the install. I haven't tried it but it looks like it is exactly what is needed.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-14, 12:13

Wouldn't it be faster just to install the patched version of Logi4 than add other things?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-14, 13:16

Basically it would be for those situations where log4j is nested deep and you can't directly update it due to dependency hell. Minecraft is running it though you can't touch it. Now in the case of Minecraft it uses custom ports but yet was still vulnerable. IF it were an app that have Nginx running in front of it then you wouldn't have to fight the dependencies or wait for the developer to release a new version of the app with the fix. Instead you block it at the nginx reverse proxy.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-14, 14:35

That makes sense. I was just curious since the post makes it sound like that may not actually work to solve the problem. More of a mitigation rather than a solution.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-14, 16:44

This is really cool. Huntress put out a means to test your system if it is vulnerable.

Basically it gives you a UUID and a string to put into the various fields and see if it actually gets to the Huntress servers. Nice way to verify that your server is or isn't safe.

chucker

2021-12-14, 17:23

Quote:
This tool will not actually run any code on your systems.
Exactly what someone who will run code on your system would say.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-14, 18:07

I know, I know... but they did post it to GitHub.... assuming that is what is actually running on the hosted site.

In my case I played with it after snapshotting my VM. I'm good with it.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-16, 12:52

And then more trouble, the patch has issues.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-18, 13:13

We're gonna be patching log4j for weeks or months.

I'm on-call for the week of New Years and I fully expect to be doing some emergency deploys.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-21, 20:54

Now this is an interesting way to check without using third party tools. It is a one-liner you run on your system to check:
Code:
find / 2>/dev/null -regex ".*.jar" -type f | xargs -I{} grep JndiLookup.class "{}".class "{}"
It actually works pretty well! At least the linux version, on a Synology forum there is a post I found this along with a Powershell version.

Code:
grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.11.2.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.11.2.jar matches grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.12.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.12.jar matches grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.12.1.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.12.1.jar matches grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.12.2.jar matches grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.13.2.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.13.2.jar matches grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.17.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.17.jar matches grep: /opt/minecraft/jars/minecraft_server.1.18.1.jar.class: No such file or directory grep: /opt/minecraft/versions/1.18.1/server-1.18.1.jar.class: No such file or directory ... grep: /opt/minecraft/libraries/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-core/2.14.1/log4j-core-2.14.1.jar.class: No such file or directory Binary file /opt/minecraft/libraries/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-core/2.14.1/log4j-core-2.14.1.jar matches
So the previous versions of Minecraft can be compromised as indicated by the "matches" where 1.18.1 doesn't match. Given there is still log4j core being used, it must just mitigate it via the MC jar.