User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iMac vs Powermac for Editing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac vs Powermac for Editing
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-01-12, 14:23

I work for a church and I am looking to buy a dedicated computer for just graphics work and video editing. The software I would be getting is Adobe CS2 (Standard) and Final Cut Studio.

Here is my delima.... I have $3200 to get both the computer and FCS. (I am going to get Adobe stuff later on) Which computer should I get? I was leaning towards a Power Mac G5 Dual-core 2GHz with a 160 GB HD and 1GB of Ram for $2,099.00. But the new 20" iMac 2GHz Intel Core DUo is very tempting. I can get a 250GB HD and 1 GB of Ram for $1,799.00. PLUS, i get the added benifit of not havng to share my existing monitor with the new Mac. (I am keeping my old computer for other purposes).
Since FCS is not "Inteled" yet, i would wait until that time to buy the software.

Some help pointing me in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS: It should be noted that if I got the iMac I would probably buy an External Hard Drive for the video editing stuff and just archive on the main hard drive.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-12, 14:31

I'd probably go with the iMac, and consider adding another GB of RAM after purchase.

However - the fact that the FCS will not run on the new iMac until March, may affect your decision.
http://www.apple.com/rosetta/
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-01-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
I'd probably go with the iMac, and consider adding another GB of RAM after purchase.
However - the fact that the FCS will not run on the new iMac until March, may affect your decision.
http://www.apple.com/rosetta/
I am looking towards march for the purches. If nothing else, I would get the iMac in the next month and get the software later.
mercmerc

2006-01-13, 06:05

I'm also leaning towards getting the new Intel iMac and waiting for the software, I just don't know that I can afford to wait 2 months with a new computer on my desktop, and being unable to use my main application (FCP) on it. Apple has really made this a hard transition in the area of choices.

The other reason to choose the iMac is that based on your Powermac price/config., you won't have enough left for Final Cut Studio, which is $1300 plus tax (ultimately about $1400 give or take). Add the Powermac G5 tower for $2100 (plus tax, say $2200) and you're at $3600, about $400 over what you have. Go with the iMac (only choice now is, G5 or Intel).
JKitterman

2006-01-13, 14:44

What are you currently using. You may want to wait a few months and get it as a package when FCS gets updated.
AtHomeBoy_2000

2006-01-13, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKitterman
What are you currently using. You may want to wait a few months and get it as a package when FCS gets updated.
Current: a custom built computer with a 2 GHz P$ and 265MB of Ram. It sucks big time. It was a nice start when we needed it and has served me well. but it's time has come. I need something nicer and more efficiant.

I am considering waiting until FCS is Universal and I'll just buy the whole thing as a set.

Still doesnt help me decide between an iMac and PowerMac. (Please note: We are tax exempt, so factoring extra tax isant an issue)
JKitterman

2006-01-13, 23:39

Get some more memory for your current computer! Use that until the Universal binaries come out. If the memory helps, wait some more for the new workstation Macs and choose. FCS is going to want 1 Gb min and wants 2Gb. Considering the iMac maxes out a 2Gb, I would wait for a workstation model.