Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac Pro Arrives! 14 DEC 2017

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac Pro Arrives! 14 DEC 2017
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-12-15, 02:39

Well gosh I guess I get to announce this one?

Check it out!

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...ailable-today/

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-12-15, 03:10

Would be nice if the MacBook Pro's idea of "pro" matched the iMac Pro's more closely.

Why can I get the iMac Pro with eight times the RAM? That's a broken disparity. Other aspects make far more sense: twice the maximum SSD size, for example. And once Coffee Lake-based tbMBPs presumably launch in six cores, the maximum core disparity will 'only' be six vs. eighteen, i.e. thrice as much. But the RAM? The RAM will still be a factor of eight.

Sorry, I just really don't want a desktop. And if I did, it'd be more something I can stuff in a corner — a Mac mini with 32 GB in addition to my MBP would probably be fine for me.

One silver lining: the iMac now allows post-purchase RAM upgrades by authorized dealers, so maybe we'll see that trickle down to an MBP. But probably not.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2017-12-15, 13:20

The one you "want" is $7k.

Yikes.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-12-15, 17:55

The iMac Pro looks interesting, but I don't need it. Especially if the tradeoff is soldered-in-everything.

I'm wondering how the intro of the Pro will affect the regular 5K iMac. I'm hoping there's an update in the late winter with USB 3.2 and a few other small things.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2017-12-15, 19:02

I'm in Canada, so please excuse the pathetic prices in CAD:

I priced a similar build for a custom PC workstation, and things don't look great for the PC.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro
$6300 for the base spec.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RxvZgL
$8600 for the PC. (Plus, no Thunderbolt, nasty-ass case, no single case etc etc)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2017-12-16, 19:49

Of course most people would not opt for the Xeon, and just get a core i9, and standard DDR4 memory rather than ECC, much cheaper. Unless you are doing scientific data simulations, or ultra precision 3D modeling ECC is a waste of money. Why pick such an ugly case? There are much nicer looking cases that would work, for less. Windows/Linux users can also opt for a Ryzen/Threadripper based system, which would also save a lot of money, and offer more cores/threads for less. The AMD Vega GPU's are also a poor choice, unless pure compute power is what you need. Perfomrance of the 56 and 64 are less than the GTX 1080 and about on par with the 1070/Ti. Of course Apple sticks with AMD because it's a little cheaper and better for OpenGL, but Vega cards have poor performance per watt, and create a lot of heat. Not a good thing for an AIO. Apple may also have shipment issues, due to poor yields of HBM2 for those GPUs.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-12-17, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm in Canada, so please excuse the pathetic prices in CAD:

I priced a similar build for a custom PC workstation, and things don't look great for the PC.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro
$6300 for the base spec.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RxvZgL
$8600 for the PC. (Plus, no Thunderbolt, nasty-ass case, no single case etc etc)
Note that you picked a Xeon E5 (and one from 2014 at that). The iMac Pro uses the somewhat cheaper Xeon W models.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-12-19, 21:58

Why doesn’t it have FaceID?

I’m only half joking.
chucker

2017-12-20, 10:32

Timing is my guess. They wanted as many chips as possible for the iPhone X launch to go smoothly. A year or two down the line, no problem.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-12-20, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Timing is my guess. They wanted as many chips as possible for the iPhone X launch to go smoothly. A year or two down the line, no problem.
Yeah, I guess I’d accept that. From the looks of more recent reports though, the supply is ample now. I expect the next rev of MBP to have it...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-12-20, 19:45

There is also the logic behind FaceID, and its tie-in to the neural processor in A-11 series processors.

Not that Intel chips haven't got the power (although I suspect they may not, because see above), but Apple does not engineer Intel chips, and getting the tech into them means getting the tech into competitor's hands.

What this means is that FaceID in Macs may be a ways off.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2017-12-20, 22:01

There's nothing operationally special about the neural processor, beside the extra security hardware, and it's not exactly fast, it's actually one of the slower cores on the A-11. Any CPU could carry out the task in terms of computing power, it's the hardware isolation from the main CPU that makes it secure, that's it main purpose. The IPCs of a modern Intel desktop chip would knock the socks off the neural processor, sorry to burst your Apple dream land bubble.
chucker

2017-12-21, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
There is also the logic behind FaceID, and its tie-in to the neural processor in A-11 series processors.

Not that Intel chips haven't got the power (although I suspect they may not, because see above), but Apple does not engineer Intel chips, and getting the tech into them means getting the tech into competitor's hands.
Sure, but they could have conceivably integrated that into the T2. I think it's purely a prioritization thing. They could've done it, but it wouldn't have significantly increased iMac Pro sales, and instead might have needlessly hampered iPhone X's shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The IPCs of a modern Intel desktop chip would knock the socks off the neural processor, sorry to burst your Apple dream land bubble.
That's neither here nor there and of puzzling relevance.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2017-12-21, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's neither here nor there and of puzzling relevance.
It was specifically mentioned that the individual thought Intel CPU’s couldn’t possiblely handle the workload of the nureal processor, which from a pure computing standpoint is nonsense. Seems relevant to me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-12-21, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It was specifically mentioned that the individual thought Intel CPU’s couldn’t possiblely handle the workload of the nureal processor, which from a pure computing standpoint is nonsense. Seems relevant to me.
Misquote much?

What I said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Not that Intel chips haven't got the power (although I suspect they may not, because see above), …
I said I suspected they may not have the power [for this particular task], not that they "couldn’t possibly handle the workload". And I prefaced that by saying "not that Intel chips haven't got the power". In other words, if you are going to quote someone, at least try to quote within context.

If I had to bet my marbles, I would bet on this: Intel's architecture would require a significantly higher expenditure of resources (including software, power, and hardware footprint).

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2017-12-21, 14:07

No I get you. What you said was that, Intel chips couldn't possibly do it, but yet that can in the same sentence. What a load of crap. Yes, the A11 is an in order design, vs an out of order design. I doubt that would make much of an impact for FaceID, which is what we are talking about here.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-12-23, 19:11

I've been gone for so long and you two are STILL at each other's throats in a bucket war!! Nothing like coming home for the holidays. Family, eh? CHEERS!!!