Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook wifi slowdown and WEP issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook wifi slowdown and WEP issues
HOM
The Elder™

2006-09-21, 21:15

Here's the deal. I just switched over to a cable connection from my DSL.

When I'm connected to the cable modem via ethernet, I get aprox 6mbps, but once I connect via a wifi router it drops to 3mbps even if I force the router into 802.11G only mode.

If that weren't weird enough, I can connect to the internet at large from my wifi router if and only if I disable any security like WEP or WPA. Once I turn on the security I can connect to the router, but the computer won't actually send or receive any data.

At first I thought it was the POS Belkin router I got, but I returned it for a D-Link and have had the same problem. It's got to be something on my MacBook that is barfing on the wifi security.

I've got a Rev A MacBook with all the latest software update.

Any ideas?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
HOM
The Elder™

2006-09-22, 11:55

Ok.

After hours and hours of research it would appear as if Apple's MacBook drivers suck ass.

I was able to get the computer connected to the router somehow. I'm not really sure at this point what I did to be able to connect.

I've also tracked down the cause of the wireless slowdown. According the this thread at Apple's discussion boards, connecting a MacBook to a D-Link router will result in a 37% loss of packets which just happens to be exactly how much slower my MacBook is wirelessly.

I guess the D-Link is going back today too.

Any suggestions on a router that should be good?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-09-22, 12:44

Linksys. Definitely go with Linksys.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-22, 13:01

You also changed from DSL to cable, don't forget. Are you sure your wifi router and cable modem are speaking to one another correctly? ie, you have DHCP off on the router, etc, etc?
HOM
The Elder™

2006-09-22, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
You also changed from DSL to cable, don't forget. Are you sure your wifi router and cable modem are speaking to one another correctly? ie, you have DHCP off on the router, etc, etc?
It's a new connection and a new router. None of the old settings should apply.

Well this is just fucking NUTS!!

I returned the D-Link and got a Linksys, but the Linksys is even slower than the D-Link was!

I get 625kbs from my ethernet connection, but now I'm only getting 350kbs via wif!

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-22, 15:05

That's kind of my point - it's an all new system, from end to end, basically. You've swapped out the middle point repeatedly, with no positive effect, so maaaaaaaaybe that's not the problem.

Some cable companies have funny restrictions that require setting up the router Just So(tm). Perhaps you've run into one. *shrug*
HOM
The Elder™

2006-09-22, 15:41

Quote:
That's kind of my point - it's an all new system, from end to end, basically. You've swapped out the middle point repeatedly, with no positive effect, so maaaaaaaaybe that's not the problem.

Some cable companies have funny restrictions that require setting up the router Just So(tm). Perhaps you've run into one. *shrug*
I understand that, but based on my testing the problem lies with the MacBooks communication to the router via WiFi

Situation History:

New broadband connection

Cable modem (wired) -> MacBook and cable modem = FAST!

Modem -> Belking Router (wifi) -> MacBook = no connection

Modem -> D-Link Router (wired) -> MacBook = fast

Modem -> D-Link Router (wifi) -> MacBook = slow

Modem -> Linksys Router (wired) -> MacBook = fast

Modem -> Linksys Router (wifi) -> slower than D-link (half speed of wired connection)

I'm not sure how the cable company comes into play. The only constant is that the wireless connection is slower than the wired connection. I've made sure that I'm on a different channel than any other network in range, I am sitting no more than 3 feet away from the router, and have disabled bluetooth.

Even at it's fastest the wired connection is never more than 5mbs so there is enough bandwidth between the router and the MacBook.

I'm really at a loss for what could explain me losing half my speed when I use wifi. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-22, 15:57

Well, the 625kbps *WIRED* on the LinkSys makes me think it isn't *just* the WiFi, but... ah well.

I mean, that's just slow no matter how you cut it.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-09-22, 16:01

Quote:
Well, the 625kbps *WIRED* on the LinkSys makes me think it isn't *just* the WiFi, but... ah well.

I mean, that's just slow no matter how you cut it.
I think I fucked up the KBS vs kbps vs MBps vs mbps.

The speed is the same for all wired connections 2/3 megabyte a second (.66MBps) the wireless is half that 1/3 megabyte a second (.33MBps).

Does that make more sense?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-22, 16:07

well yeah, except that's all you're getting??

Wow.

I'm getting about 12Mbps on my cable. Hell, I got 1.5Mbps on my DSL.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-09-22, 16:36

That's how fast it is. I'm paying for 5mbps and getting 4.5mbps. I could upgrade to 8mbps, but it would be an extra $20/m. Here in NYC we are stuck with Time Warner and they have no interest in really upgrading their systems.

That being said, I FUCKING FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!

After even more searching I came across a thread at DSL Reports that had a solution. The Linksys' MTU setting (Whatever the fuck MTU is) is set to 'Auto' by default. The default setting sucks. By setting it to 1468 I now get full speed wirelessly.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-22, 16:44

LOL Cool.

I have to throttle mine down to 1300 to be able to access the VPN at work from home. :P
kaporion

2006-10-07, 07:22

Quote:
LOL Cool.

I have to throttle mine down to 1300 to be able to access the VPN at work from home. :P
Hi Guys,
i was surfing the web looking for threads about this problem... Finally i found yours!!! I have the same problem

Macbook Pro
Router WiFi USRobotics USR9110
ADSL 4mb

If i connect through ethernet cable i reach 3,2/3,8 Mbps
If i connect through WiFi 400/600 Kbps

I updated the router firmware but nothing changed. I looked for MTU setting (as HOM said in his post) but i was not able to find it in USRobotics settings.
Please Help me