User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Late '09 Mac mini

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Late '09 Mac mini
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-20, 11:13

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...announces.html
  • 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
  • GeForce 9400M
  • 160 GB, 320 GB or 1 TB drive (server)

$599, $799; $999 for the server edition which ships with OS X Server
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-20, 11:22

Considering OS X server is $499 by itself, that's not at all a bad price on the server mini.
SpecMode
Wait what

2009-10-20, 11:22

The server config is a great deal, considering you're getting the high-end base config (CPU, RAM) less the SuperDrive, but you're getting dual 500GB HDDs and Snow Leopard Server, with the now standard unlimited-user license (which, with Leopard Server and earlier versions, cost as much as this machine does now).

And if you really need an optical drive, you can use the MacBook Air SuperDrive (or any other USB or FireWire drives you have handy).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-20, 11:31

The MBA SuperDrive requires double-powered USB and as such only works with the MBA. Unless they added such a port to the server mini and I missed it
SpecMode
Wait what

2009-10-20, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
The MBA SuperDrive requires double-powered USB and as such only works with the MBA. Unless they added such a port to the server mini and I missed it
Look near the bottom of the Mac mini server product page.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-20, 13:02

I blame my iPhone!

The Mac mini server just looks so weird without the disc slot. It reminds me of Neo after having his mouth disappear in The Matrix.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 13:11

Mac Mini Server + RAID is pretty awesome.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-10-20, 13:11

So... realistically what kind of server roles could a mini fill with its limited processing and bandwidth capabilities? Simple web site / email? Seems an odd bundle.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-10-20, 13:12

The Mini sever looks like one sweet machine! I could sell my PC and pick up one of those little guys! Err, don't tempt me like that Apple!!!!

Moogs, it would make a for a great file server, that's what. It is Apple's answer to Windows Home Server.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post

Moogs, it would make a for a great file server, that's what. It is Apple's answer to Windows Home Server.
^^^this

It would essentially do what my Mac Pro does now.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2009-10-20, 13:44

Wow ..there we go! A mini server.

This is better than WHS by a leap because you have Calendar and Email servers included and much more configurablity plus unlimited users.

Apple's done well here. If I can just get my mother off of PC and move to a Mac system with virtualization for the few PC apps she truly needs I'd be in hog heaven

omgwtfbbq
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-20, 15:12

I have one thing to say: OH HELL YES.

Coworker says he can get me the money by mid-next-week. Unless my other friend can get the money earlier, that means Mac mini either end of next week or week after. SO EXCITED.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-20, 15:19

Awesome news. I know you've been eagerly awaiting this update! Enjoy.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
So... realistically what kind of server roles could a mini fill with its limited processing and bandwidth capabilities? Simple web site / email? Seems an odd bundle.
Um, until very recently I had a G4 Cube working in this capacity, 24/7. Hosted all of our email, web, files, music, media, etc, etc. It's not exactly a CPU or GPU intensive set of tasks...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-10-20, 15:24

I also wonder how much load it can carry: How many visitors can it serve running as a web server and how many clients can it host as an email server? Or is it even possible to put figures on such stuff?

I think it will also make for a nifty testbed/development platform for new upstart entrepreneurs. Now that they can get SL Server plus hardware at a ridiculous low price. It will be interesting to see how people put this Mini to use.

Oh yes, and it makes WHS look like a leper.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-20, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Um, until very recently I had a G4 Cube working in this capacity, 24/7. Hosted all of our email, web, files, music, media, etc, etc. It's not exactly a CPU or GPU intensive set of tasks...
Yeah, I had a Mini G4 doing the same for a long time. I might just have to get the updated version now. Nice bump if you asked me.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

Oh yes, and it makes WHS look like a leper.

LOL so true. When you look at the 10 client limitation of WHS and lack of email or calendar serving it's a Model T compared to the Mac mini server's Mustang.

omgwtfbbq
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-10-20, 15:28

Quote:
No shit?! Man... I am not teh server savveh! I thought hosting email / web etc required more than just gigabit ethernet and a big HD... apparently I was mistaken.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:31

Can someone explain the benefits of things like 'email and calendar serving' - cause I honestly don't see how these would or could be better than what I have now with MobileMe.

I can definitely see the benefits of central storage for things like photos, documents, music, movies, etc.. But I see others talk about the email and calendar aspects, and I just don't get it.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:33

You can't share calendars in editable form between users on MobileMe.

You can with Server.

That alone is almost worth it for my family.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:38

We've only got 1 computer in the house right now, so maybe that's where I am missing the need. We do have 2 iPhones, and we can each edit whichever calendars we want on those. That must stem from the fact that they ultimately synch to the same computer.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:39

Quote:
You can't share calendars in editable form between users on MobileMe.

You can with Server.

That alone is almost worth it for my family.
People just aren't realizing how COOL an Apple "blessed" mini server is. Wow ..there's not much you can't do with this product. Kudos Apple.

I was "this" close to buying a Mediasmart server but now I'm thinking that I can do so much more with a mini server.

omgwtfbbq
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
People just aren't realizing how COOL an Apple "blessed" mini server is. Wow ..there's not much you can't do with this product. Kudos Apple.

I was "this" close to buying a Mediasmart server but now I'm thinking that I can do so much more with a mini server.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in something like this just for the benefits that I already understand. I'm just trying to figure what the other benefits are.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:42

Well, actually, to the same account, right? You can have two phones sync to the same account with different sets of calendars syncing to each phone.

In our case, I have my calendar, my work calendar, my projects calendar, etc, etc, my wife has her set, but then we would like to have one joint Home calendar for things like social events that we both can edit.

We *could* merge everything into one big mess on a single account, but instead we use MobileMe... but we can't jointly edit that one calendar. One of us owns it, the other can subscribe, but read-only. This is less than optimal.

With a copy of Server, you can set up a calendar as truly shared among many users.

What's funny is that I bought a mini just a few months ago, and moved all of our services (mail, web, etc) *OUT* of the house (was running Server!), because I got tired of doing my own hosting, and wondering if the net would go down or power would go out when we were on travel.
Partial
Stallion

2009-10-20, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I blame my iPhone!

The Mac mini server just looks so weird without the disc slot. It reminds me of Neo after having his mouth disappear in The Matrix.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:56

Can anyone else spot the problem with the stock photo?
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:58

Quote:
Well, actually, to the same account, right? You can have two phones sync to the same account with different sets of calendars syncing to each phone.

In our case, I have my calendar, my work calendar, my projects calendar, etc, etc, my wife has her set, but then we would like to have one joint Home calendar for things like social events that we both can edit.

We *could* merge everything into one big mess on a single account, but instead we use MobileMe... but we can't jointly edit that one calendar. One of us owns it, the other can subscribe, but read-only. This is less than optimal.

With a copy of Server, you can set up a calendar as truly shared among many users.

What's funny is that I bought a mini just a few months ago, and moved all of our services (mail, web, etc) *OUT* of the house (was running Server!), because I got tired of doing my own hosting, and wondering if the net would go down or power would go out when we were on travel.
Ah. Yes - the same account.

And while we're chatting, since I know you have to use it at work also.... Do you have any idea how easy it is to get iCal Server 2 and Lotus Notes to work together?

zippy
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

Can anyone else spot the problem with the stock photo?
I saw that. It kinda makes me chuckle.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Ah. Yes - the same account.

And while we're chatting, since I know you have to use it at work also.... Do you have any idea how easy it is to get iCal Server 2 and Lotus Notes to work together?
Dear god man, why not just ask for world peace while you're at it?!?

(No clue, but given Notes' normal penchant for not playing well with anyone, including itself, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "not easily.")
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in something like this just for the benefits that I already understand. I'm just trying to figure what the other benefits are.
I wasn't aiming that at you specifically (just to make sure) I have 3 mac users (including myself) to manage here and I'm not doing it in any centralized fashion. I have so many daily updates to do for 3rd party apps and just general stuff to manage I would have to add a 4th Mac and have the same duties.

I'm glad I can see Apple giving some attention to low end server needs. It hopefully means that the groundwork is being layed to have a Mac at the center of our computing infrastructure at home that is affordable and eases the tedium. Thank God i'm not worried about sharing calendars yet.

omgwtfbbq