AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Late '12 iMac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Late '12 iMac
Page 10 of 10 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10]  Thread Tools
tomoe
Veteran Member

2013-01-25, 17:44

Honestly, after using the 11" MacBook Air for the past 5 months, there's no way I'm going to get a larger laptop ever again. About the only things I would like to see are a) Retina display, b) trimmer bezel, and c) matte screen.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-02-10, 07:24

Just got my 2010 27" iMac back from that extended warranty harddrive replacement job that Apple was offering. Having to lug that beast into town by the metro and back home again would have been a lot nicer if it was eight pounds lighter.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2013-02-10, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Just got my 2010 27" iMac back from that extended warranty harddrive replacement job that Apple was offering. Having to lug that beast into town by the metro and back home again would have been a lot nicer if it was eight pounds lighter.
It would have been even nicer if Apple had made the hard drive user-replaceable, and then they could have just shipped us the drive.
I hope the warranty program cost them a boatload of money, like half their profits on these iMacs. That'll teach them!

How long did your replacement take Mugge?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-02-10, 09:59

I think the potential for user fuck ups are much bigger with DIY replacements than the hassle of having trained techies doing it. That said, this could have been a bigger pain the ass for them if it had been the glued together iMacs. Not that I have any illusions about Apple backpedaling on user serviceability.

It took them 6 days to replace it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-02-15, 16:38

Hey, this may be of interest to many...the current-generation iMacs are now available at the online Apple Store's refurb section. The entry level model is going for $1,099, which is $200 off the new price.

As is often the case, these have hit about three months after street release. Glad to see them showing up.

I finally saw one in person a week or so ago while over at MacAuthority dealing with a repair situation.

The display was gorgeous, and the overall thing looks snazzy. I sat at one for about 10-15 minutes and it was very nice.

I'm going to run this current iMac into the ground, however. I'm hoping it'll make it through one more major OS X release, and that should put me well into 2014, at which point I'll review/assess all my options based on all the usual criteria (what I'm doing, budget, how much freelance work I'm doing, am I traveling at all, what's available from Apple and how much does it cost, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-02-15 at 16:48.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-02-16, 12:17

Hmmm that is a bit more interesting. I've been holding off a new Mac purchase. Curious if the new minis are up on refurb store yet.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-02-16, 13:16

Not yet. The only Mini (at least on the Canadian refurb store) is from 2011.
Boomerangmacuser

2013-02-18, 23:37

I'm hoping my late 2007 21" iMac dies... is that a bad thing? Then I can get the new 27" with Fusion. I can't justify the purchase as long as this machine is functioning. I think they made some wrong decisions with the new ones though; thin at the price of Optical disk, non-upgradable RAM on the 21", and a glued on screen. That being said, I've spent some time with one at the Apple store and it's light years ahead of my machine.

Won't go back
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-02-19, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerangmacuser View Post
I'm hoping my late 2007 21" iMac dies... is that a bad thing?
Not bad, but definitely counterproductive. With that kind of thought in your head it will work flawlessly until 2017–2018.

You need to start thinking something along these lines: ‘I just fixed the car and now you’re telling me my dynamo analysis apparatus is on the blink? I’m already broke! Please please please don't die on me this month, my precious iMac.’ It’ll act up in days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerangmacuser View Post
I think they made some wrong decisions with the new ones though; thin at the price of Optical disk, non-upgradable RAM on the 21", and a glued on screen. That being said, I've spent some time with one at the Apple store and it's light years ahead of my machine.
The usual Apple story, then.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-02-19, 07:25

Why not just sell the old one and put the money towards a new iMac? Even a six year old iMac will still fetch you abot of money. It's not some worthless PC after all.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2013-03-01, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Hey, this may be of interest to many...the current-generation iMacs are now available at the online Apple Store's refurb section. The entry level model is going for $1,099, which is $200 off the new price.
Not that I would buy a machine where I can't upgrade the RAM (the hard drive is bad enough), but I just went to the Canadian refurb store and it says that the 21.5" refurb iMac will be available to ship in "2-3 weeks"

What? Is Apple manufacturing refurbs to order now?

Isn't the point of a refurb to buy a machine that initially failed Apple quality standards and has been "refurbished" to meet them?
Is Apple promising me that this listed machine will fail and be refurbished for me a fortnight from now?

Or is Apple tracking machine failures and listing them for sale before they have been repaired?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2013-03-01, 22:55

I think refurbished means customer returns.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-03-06, 11:33

$1,099 education-only iMac is now available.

Quote:
With little fanfare, Apple this week launched a new version of its low-end iMac for educational institutions.

The machine sports the same iconic iMac design, but with scaled-down specs and a more affordable price tag compared to consumer iMacs. It has the same 21.5-inch display, but on the inside there's a cheaper 3.3-GHz dual-core Intel i3 processor instead of a 2.7-GHz quad-core Intel Core i5. The machine also has 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB and a 500GB hard drive, instead of 1 terabyte.

The newly redesigned iMac starts at $1,099, which is $100 more expensive than its predecessor. Even so, it'll save educational institutions $200 over the entry-level consumer iMac.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2013-03-14, 12:02

Interesting development. Apparently you can now BTO the iMac with a VESA mount built in. Looks like doing so looses the stand though, so be sure VESA is the only way you will use to mount the machine.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...for-40-premium