User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple retail stores and MacBook RAM installation...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple retail stores and MacBook RAM installation...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-22, 22:24

A simple question: do the Apple retail stores offer the $100 512MB > 1GB RAM upgrades, like the online store does, on the MacBook? That seems to be a pretty decent price.

I didn't know if that was something Apple sold/installed in their stores (and at the same prices as online). What's the deal on this?

I have a friend looking to get one. She'd much rather just walk into an Apple store in her town and have it that day (and pay the $100 for the 1GB upgrade), as opposed to ordering it online, waiting a week or so for delivery, having it slung around the back of a hot UPS or FedEx truck all day, etc.

Was curious about that one aspect...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-05-22, 22:37

Maybe.

The "retail" price of the ARS RAM is usually overpriced.

However, if you point out the "online" RAM price, and ask them to match it, they probably will.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-22, 22:38

When I purchased mine (got a black one) I asked about the configuration and they said this was all they had. I decided not to ask much more about the RAM upgrade because I figured it would be cheaper to do it myself and I wanted it that day because it was the last black one in the store (day after they came out). They show that they sell ram on their website though so she might be able to buy the MB and then just buy the ram their and have them install it for her right there. Also, does she not want to order it from somewhere like macsales.com or newegg and install it? It is the same price as the 1GB upgrade when building and she could ebay the ram to get some money back.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-05-22, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
Also, does she not want to order it from somewhere like macsales.com or newegg and install it? It is the same price as the 1GB upgrade when building and she could ebay the ram to get some money back.
Definitely the best route to go.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-22, 22:54

Especially if you want more than 1 GB. I am getting 2 GB from newegg for 185 with shipping and then I am going to ebay my ram to hopefully end up with it only costing about 150 total. (How much do I ask for the 2 X 256 MB sticks in the MB?)
neiltc13

2006-05-23, 01:23

It's very wasteful to do it yourself. You end up with 2 unused 256mb cards.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-23, 01:29

You can sell the 2 unused 256 MB sticks of RAM. Also that is a lot less wasteful then paying 500 dollars for 2 GB of RAM that I was able to get for 186 with shipping and tax.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-05-23, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
You can sell the 2 unused 256 MB sticks of RAM. Also that is a lot less wasteful then paying 500 dollars for 2 GB of RAM that I was able to get for 186 with shipping and tax.
QFT
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-05-23, 08:50

my concern with buying ram from a 3rd party is having seen lots of people trickle in the apple store only to find that the ram they bought was causing all these errors etc, the retail stores should sell you the ram for the online prices, you can also buy it off the apple site keep the package sealed and you can pay $30 and have it installed once you recieve it.

anyone have any thoughts on 3rd party ram being the root of system errors? what is the best non Apple ram?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-23, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpace
my concern with buying ram from a 3rd party is having seen lots of people trickle in the apple store only to find that the ram they bought was causing all these errors etc, the retail stores should sell you the ram for the online prices, you can also buy it off the apple site keep the package sealed and you can pay $30 and have it installed once you recieve it.

anyone have any thoughts on 3rd party ram being the root of system errors? what is the best non Apple ram?
Most third party RAM is covered for life. If it causes you errors, give it back and get a new one. When the stick of third party RAM went bad in my Mini I contacted the store I bought it from and they sent me a new stick. I mailed them back mine and we were all happy. To add to this, yes, I had about 8 kernel panics caused by my RAM going bad.

Apple just wants the money. That would be why they are in business. What you might not have noticed is the number of people going into the Apple store with bad Apple RAM. RAM is RAM and Apple doesn't make it either. They just want you to think you have to get it from them, in the name of "ease" to you the consumer.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
k squared

2006-05-23, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
...She'd much rather just walk into an Apple store in her town and have it that day (and pay the $100 for the 1GB upgrade), ...
It's really $100 for a 512 MB upgrade, as Apple replaces the dual 256 MB chips with dual 512 MB chips.

Best Buy sells RAM also, so it could be bought and installed the the same day.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-23, 12:37

Best Buy will overcharge you almost as much as Apple will.

$100 to go from 512 MB to 1 GB, if it's also a convenience issue, isn't too terrible. Technically it's a bad deal but you're not being ripped off too badly. It's the upgrade to 2 GB that really hurts.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-05-23, 12:38

Yeah, Apple tech support sometimes seems to enjoy telling people that their 3rd party RAM caused their system problems. Sometimes it seems a bit harsh.

However... all those Apple Store "tricklers" with the bad RAM could have easily removed their RAM and retested their system, and thus completely avoided the need to trickle into th Apple Store.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-23, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Yeah, Apple tech support sometimes seems to enjoy telling people that their 3rd party RAM caused their system problems. Sometimes it seems a bit harsh.

However... all those Apple Store "tricklers" with the bad RAM could have easily removed their RAM and retested their system, and thus completely avoided the need to trickle into th Apple Store.
Bingo, that's what I did...well with the help of the Genius Bar here that is.