User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Do 'The Big Bang' simulation experiments scare you?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Do 'The Big Bang' simulation experiments scare you?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-06-23, 03:20

Just read this...

http://www.physorg.com/news70203742.html

Quote:
International scientists will recreate the immediate aftermath of the "Big Bang" in a bid to uncover the mysteries of the universe, a world physics summit announced Thursday.
Do any of you ever wonder if you'll wake up one day to a violent earth-quake type rumbling, and realise the stars are in the wrong place, and that everything seems a bit scary where your garden used to be.. Only to remember that Ed.Hoppenheimer and Yuchi.Ganawawa were going to conduct that experiement yesterday in Honolulu....

I mean if splitting an atom can cause the kind of havoc it does... What if one of these 'simulations' suddenly did just trigger another 'Big Bang'... I know what I am saying is a bit far fetched.. I am trying to illuminate the point.. But I guess you get my drift..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wrao
Yarp

2006-06-23, 03:27

Yes actually, I have thought about the possibility of some crazy power experiment going wrong and destroying or seriously fucking up the earth. It's a fun sci-fi type fantasy to consider. I don't think we have the ability to do that though, nor will we any time soon. I often think of what it would be like if we generated a miniature black hole in a lab and it just fucked up everything. heh. I kind of like apocalyptic fantasy, so what?

Makes you wonder about other life out there in space and what crazy space bending experiments they may have accomplished and if anything they could do would possibly affect us in anyway as well. But, space is too big for that. heh.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 03:35

I like John Stewarts take on it..

Apparently he thinks that the last thing a human will ever say is..

"Hey, It worked...."
Wrao
Yarp

2006-06-23, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt

"Hey, It worked...."

heh either that or "aw crap..."
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-06-23, 04:50

FlashForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashForward, by Robert J. Sawyer
It is April 21, 2009.
Physicists at the CERN particle collider facility in Geneva throw the switch on an experiment which they hope will detect the elusive Higgs boson particle. Instead, the scientists "Flashforward" -- experiencing visions of their lives twenty years in the future -- then return to discover that they've been unconscious for two minutes.

What they don't immediately realize is that the effect was planet-wide, creating an unprecedented disaster when everyone passed out. Car wrecks strew the highways, planes have crashed, patients bled to death on operating tables, and factory workers suffered horrific accidents. As the carnage is cleaned up, the inevitable hunt for scapegoats occurs, but a larger question looms: has mankind glimpsed the true, immutable future, or only one possible future?
Interesting book, although the ending was a bit of a letdown.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 05:16

Cool book.. A bit like an indie film out last year.. I forget the name, but will return with the title...
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-06-23, 05:45

Anyone else curious what the people saw who died, or where going to die from their blackout during those two minutes?

I've thought about this stuff before. Although I've also thought about killing people and making a shirt out of other people.

I guess my point is, that we should cryogenically freeze stephen hawking until we can do brain transplants.

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2006-06-23 at 05:54.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-06-23, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Anyone else curious what the people saw who died, or where going to die from their blackout during those two minutes?
The book does cover some of this... it's worth a read.

Quote:
I've thought about this stuff before. Although I've also thought about killing people and making a shirt out of other people.
*cough*
Quote:
I guess my point is, that we should cryogenically freeze stephen hawking until we can do brain transplants.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-23, 08:17

No it doesn't scare me.

1) The big bang is no more real than god

2) The energies needed to produce the big bang itself are contained in all the particles of the universe of which we have access to only tiny tiny tiny tiny^gogleplex amounts

3) The third points are almost always the weakest
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
No it doesn't scare me.

1) The big bang is no more real than god
I think that pretty much anything is more probable than god.

Quote:
2) The energies needed to produce the big bang itself are contained in all the particles of the universe of which we have access to only tiny tiny tiny tiny^gogleplex amounts
Agreed. My "fears" are more of a hypothesis. Even so it only takes a couple of pounds of Uranium to cause quite a large bang, not dissimilar, some would say, to the 'fabled' Big Bang.

Quote:
Glad to see you are not bucking the trend.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-06-23, 08:46

eh, i kinda believe in an accordion universe...expansion, followed by statis, followed by collapse, followed by bang, followed by expansion...

so no real "big bang", just multiple bangs...kinda like orgasims for women...after all mother nature is female

so we bring on a bang early by mistake....no biggie, gonna happen sooner or later

think of the universe as an average american male...violence of birth followed by rapid growth and development followed by a fairly boring middle age followed by a slow collapse to death...then violent rebirth as a banana slug to make up for not doing more with his previous life etc etc forever and ever

in a way it is freeing...no matter how much we kinda suck and fuck up, it is ok because in a trillion years some of our atoms will be in the next race trying to figure out what life is all about and trying to score with that cute chick at work or school or on the bus (though they won't call it a bus...they will call it a thakarog...and that cute chick will have 18 ovaries ringing her head like a crown of reddish dates...though, to that future man those will be see as a sign of great beauty, much like the 14 testes outlining his jaw like a dangly flesh beard shows his masculinity....etc etc)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegelding
feeling my oats

2006-06-23, 08:47

i will answer my own post with:

g
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-23, 08:55

Quote:
¡Damned!

2006-06-23, 08:57

Quote:
Cool book.. A bit like an indie film out last year.. I forget the name, but will return with the title...
Sounds like Primer. I liked it, but it's one of those movies you have to watch twice to truly 'get it'.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Sounds like Primer. I liked it, but it's one of those movies you have to watch twice to truly 'get it'.
Yes! Thank you. I have been trying to find it in our spare room in our stack of 10 gazillion DVDs!

Yes.. It's one of those movies a bit like Matrix, or Eternal Sunshine of the Mind (I think that's the title), or Existenze.... Good fun though.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-23, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Fuck, when you snap and wipe some people out, the news is going to be all over this place. "Why didn't you stop him?"

shatteringglass

2006-06-23, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
i will answer my own post with:

g
You made my day. Thank you.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-06-23, 16:58

Quote:

"Hey, It worked...."
I think it might be "Hey, watch this...."
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-06-24, 00:15

This reminds me of the issue around "Strangelets" when they fired up the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC).

For those that don't want to read the link: there is a very, very small (but critically, non-zero) chance of creating a "strangelet" with the RHIC, a type of matter that could (and would) destroy the universe as we know it. Many people argue that because the consequence has "infinite" impact, that there is no justifiable non-zero chance of it occurring.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-06-24, 08:56

Has anybody proven that strangelets even exist?

Edit: No. In fact they haven't been shown to exist. The standard model of the atom is incomplete and empirical, thus reducing our ability to believe everything it predicts. It would be one thing if these particles have been proven to exist and its an entire other to base ones' fears on the speculative creation of a speculative particle with speculative properties.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2006-06-24, 10:08

i have a couple of strangelets in my pants...come on over and i'll prove their existents

g
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-06-24, 15:48

You need to wipe your ass better if that is the case...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-25, 01:37

I had
Enki

2006-06-26, 13:07

Quote:
Do any of you ever wonder if you'll wake up one day to a violent earth-quake type rumbling, and realise the stars are in the wrong place, and that everything seems a bit scary where your garden used to be.. Only to remember that Ed.Hoppenheimer and Yuchi.Ganawawa were going to conduct that experiement yesterday in Honolulu....

I mean if splitting an atom can cause the kind of havoc it does... What if one of these 'simulations' suddenly did just trigger another 'Big Bang'... I know what I am saying is a bit far fetched.. I am trying to illuminate the point.. But I guess you get my drift..
More like the ending of Clarke's Nine Billion Names of God.

Quote:
"overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."