User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

People are Running X on PC's?!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
People are Running X on PC's?!
Mark_TS

2007-01-23, 02:07

from MR: Running Mac OS X on Generic PCs with Parallels/VMWare?

CNN profiles the growing Mac virtualization market that allows Mac users to run Windows (and other Intel operating systems) on their Macs.

An interesting side effect of this virtualization software is that it suddenly has also become easier for PC users to run Mac OS X on their PCs

Quote:
VMware's CEO Diane Greene told me last week that her company's existing x86 desktop product is already being used by some to run Mac OS on computers from Dell (Charts), Hewlett-Packard (Charts) and others, though this is not intentional on VMware's part.
Parallels will reportedly be upgrading its software further "in a way that by coincidence will make it easier to run Mac OS on a non-Apple computer." It appears that both VMWare and Parallels have been "crippled" to satisfy demands from Apple that users not be encouraged to install Mac OS X on PCs. VMware's CEO says their initial shipment delay has been, in part, due to Apple's demands:

Quote:
"We were trying to do it the way they wanted to, but in hindsight we should have just gone ahead, I wonder what Steve Jobs is going to do, because there is so much pressure to run Mac OS on non-Macs. There's no technical reason not to do it. He's so proprietary about everything, yet it could be a very strategic move for him to make"
--------------
Some are pointing out that this is crazy, because Apple makes their money from Hardware.
I ask you, is selling a bajillion more copies of OS X chopped liver?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-23, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_TS View Post
VMware's CEO says their initial shipment delay has been, in part, due to Apple's demands:
Yeah, right.

Maybe he should be a real man and openly admit that they totally underestimated the relevance of Intel Macs?

Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-23, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah, right.

Maybe he should be a real man and openly admit that they totally underestimated the relevance of Intel Macs?
How manly can he be when his name is Diane??

flynnstudio
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-23, 04:19

This just has to be the question that keeps Bill Gates awake at night...

"When is Steve going to open up OSX for all PC's"...

Interesting points raised about hardware...once upon a time Apple's hardware was extortionate but I personally went onto Dell's website the other day and configured a 20" desktop with the exact same specification as the 20" Imac ( without the incredible ilife and OSX of course!) and the imac was only $100 dollars ( £50 ) more expensive...THAT IS INCREDIBLE...

Crappy 'traditional' plasticy box and screen PC vs sleek sexy Imac = $100 dollars...

but it means one more thing...

That the day Steve Jobs says ' ok, release the universal version of OSX' the floodgates will open and the sales of macs will actually INCREASE dramatically not decrease as the installation halo effect becomes exponential....

In fact just imagine if Apple offered a $30 'XP/Vista to OSX' crossgrade program with a copy that runs on their own PC - ESPECIALLY if it mean they didn't have to go out an buy a NEW one in order to run Vista!!..How many millions would switch then ??

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-23, 04:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
How manly can he be when his name is Diane??

I lose.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-23, 07:48

flynnstudio, they've licensed OS X before. People almost completely stopped buying Macs. The hardware isn't the reason people buy Macs, but it is the reason Apple sells them. Personally, I'd never buy Apple hardware again if a legal version of OS X came out. Once driver compatibility became stronger, I'd just go back to building my own machines. Loads of people would do the same. Apple knows this, and they absolutely will not license OS X for anything other than Apple hardware.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-23, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
flynnstudio, they've licensed OS X before. People almost completely stopped buying Macs. The hardware isn't the reason people buy Macs, but it is the reason Apple sells them. Personally, I'd never buy Apple hardware again if a legal version of OS X came out. Once driver compatibility became stronger, I'd just go back to building my own machines. Loads of people would do the same. Apple knows this, and they absolutely will not license OS X for anything other than Apple hardware.
Bingo. Although, it was the old Mac OS 7 that was licensed, not Mac OS X.

That VMware can run Mac OS X is no surprise. People have been doing for many months. It's entirely unsupported, breaks the EULA, and in some cases requires you to muck with Mac OS X's internals.

That said, the subject of licensing Mac OS X has been covered countless times before and this particular thread isn't offering anything new. Since fcgriz has already summarized the basic "it's not gonna happen" story that gets hashed out every time, I'm closing this thread.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.