AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Happy 4th of July, Yanks!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy 4th of July, Yanks!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-04, 08:23

1) God Bless America

2) Find a way to get out there and enjoy some friends and good food (Fireworks are the icing)

3) Politics (!) / drunk driving / car accidents / grilling explosions / setting the neighbor's roof on fire...
... are not allowed.

Have a blast everyone! *rim shot*

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-04, 08:39

Totally!

Despite the craziness, infighting and all that is "wrong" at times, we're truly blessed. Easy to lose sight of sometimes...

And yes...please be careful with your fireworks.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-07-04, 09:27

Man, I wish I had some plans today. My families all out of town, my friends all have plans with their families, and the girl I was supposed to hang out with ditched me. Swell.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-04, 09:31

The freedom of flying solo is sometimes rewarding. You can, now, pretty much do whatever you want, with no one else's approval and involvement, or all the logistics required for organizing holiday get-togethers with multiple people.

Glass half full.

In other words, go get sideways at your favorite pub, load up the jukebox, ask the bartender to put the game on and shamelessly flirt with every put-together vixen who looks your way. Put back $20 for a safe cab ride home and you're set.

The day isn't a total loss, trust me...it's now a wide-open, blank canvas. Grab your brushes!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-07-04, 10:27

I'll be barbecuing some big thick beef ribs later today. Can't wait.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-07-04, 10:30

YeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa..........................
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-04, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Man, I wish I had some plans today. My families all out of town, my friends all have plans with their families, and the girl I was supposed to hang out with ditched me. Swell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The freedom of flying solo is sometimes rewarding. You can, now, pretty much do whatever you want, with no one else's approval and involvement, or all the logistics required for organizing holiday get-togethers with multiple people.

Glass half full.

Exactly.

You don't need other people to have a good time, even on a holiday. I foresee a day of junk food and Super Mario Galaxy 2 and really loud synthpop and sugary beverages and The Matrix Reloaded. Everyone else I know is going to some rodeo thing. I think the winner here is clear.

Stay safe, everyone.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-07-04, 10:48

So far I've just been laying around watching Bond movies on G4. A junk food day sounds really good. I think I'll load up on fast food, but I wonder how many of those places are even open today? I'd love some Chipotle but I don't think they're open. Maybe KFC? Haven't had it in ages.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-07-04, 11:17

off to lab I go... must finish science so i can move on...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-04, 11:30

I'm in Canada. Gonna grill some steaks!
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-07-04, 12:09

One thing that annoys me about the Fourth this year is that since it falls on a Sunday there will be some people who will get tomorrow off from work. As if a holiday doesn't count if it falls on a weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we move all holidays to either Mondays or Fridays to ensure three day weekends.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-07-04, 12:44

Happy Birthday America!
We love what you've done with the place, by the way.

Please send more iPhones and Movies. Thnx.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-04, 13:07

Well I think many employers give Monday off on a Sunday holiday as a day for travel. But I may be wrong... And biased. Because I get tomorrow off, hell yeah!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-07-04, 19:36

The monday following a weekend Federal holiday is generally a holiday by one of Nixon's executive orders.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-04, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
So far I've just been laying around watching Bond movies on G4. A junk food day sounds really good. I think I'll load up on fast food, but I wonder how many of those places are even open today? I'd love some Chipotle but I don't think they're open. Maybe KFC? Haven't had it in ages.
BBQ chicken CPK + Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos + super cold Coke in a glass bottle (of course!) = summer! Also, bad for you. But summer!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-04, 22:20

I don't know what in the hell is wrong with me. Not only did I turn down grilled steaks at one late-afternoon gathering, I also turned down grilled dogs/burgers (and all the expected side dishes) a couple of hours later.

I wound up getting a Subway tuna...

Guess I wasn't in much of a "people/gathering" mood today. I opted, on three separate offers (the third didn't involve a meal, but hanging out and socializing a bit), to stay in and just enjoy the day by myself. Sometimes I think I might be getting a little too good, and comfortable, with that...

I didn't even go to my sister's...where my monkey niece and nephew and Mom would've been, along with a boatload of food and some major fireworks action. The time for it rolled around and I thought "I really don't feel like putting my shoes on, or sticking the key in the damn ignition...". So I didn't. I put on pants once today, for a 10-minute Subway run...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-04, 22:30

We were feeling like something like a steakhouse... and ended up going to Outback.

Go Austrarica!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-04, 22:54

I shit you not... someone within 1-2 miles of my house, has acquired some Class A explosives and is throwing them in the lake and detonating them or something. UNBELIEVABLY loud (like... lightning hitting a quarter mile away loud, only lower pitched and shakes the damn house). I'm not bothered by loud fireworks or shotguns but this is freakin nuts. Someone is definitely doing something that's out of their league here. Normally my dogs are just a little nervous during thunderstorms and fireworks but they're "run into the cave!" instincts are taking over these are so loud. If it's not Class A, it's Class B being detonated at 50' or something. WAY louder than anything I've heard from a fireworks show.... and the shows are all done.

Unincorporated of course where they're being detonated so no cops.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-04, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Guess I wasn't in much of a "people/gathering" mood today. I opted, on three separate offers (the third didn't involve a meal, but hanging out and socializing a bit), to stay in and just enjoy the day by myself. Sometimes I think I might be getting a little too good, and comfortable, with that...

Aww.

If you're not in the mood, you're not in the mood. I used to do things I didn't want to do just because ZOMG it was a holiday. Now, I don't.

"Hey, do you want to come to the rodeo with us? Then maybe we could go see the fireworks, which totally aren't like every other fireworks ever!"

"Uh...hold on, I'm at the part where the castle transforms into a giant ninja robot and beats the shit out of Satan."

"...that's a no, then?"

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-04, 23:36

Was it a hybrid ninja with laser sights?