Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Office 2010/2011, will you get it?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Office 2010/2011, will you get it?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2010-08-31, 13:46

While beta testing office 2010, I found it to be pretty good. Moreso, I've come to like outlook. It integrates with social media, seems more organized and easier to use.

What I heard is that office for Mac will be pretty much identical, ribbon and all (correct me if I'm wrong). More importantly, outlook is finally making a valiant return, P
.pst format and, finalky easy to move the Mac platform. N

With outlook's improvements, I think it might be pretty good. What do you guys think if it's true that moving office for windows to office for Mac actually working? Will people move to macs more because of this fact alone?

Personally I use google apps, but obviously office is far more powerful of a tool. I wish google would make docs more than a collaborative text edit. :/

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-31, 14:14

I've been using Office 2010 (as an MSDN member, I get it early), though the only app I use extensively is Outlook (in part because our mail server is still Exchange Server 2003, which OS X's Mail cannot interface with; it requires 2007). It's got some nice improvements.

I do think that the availability of Office is a safety net for people unsure of whether to move to the Mac, much like the ability of running Windows has become one with Intel Macs.

Google Docs is little but a collaborative basic text editor and spreadsheet. It works nicely, and has some neat bonus features on the side (like making surveys), but I see the occasional "it will crush Office" hype article.

Haven't played much with the Office 2010 web apps yet.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-09-01, 00:09

Not personally, but we're running office 2004 in the studio still, so we will be upgrading to 2011. We're in the same boat as Chucker, our Exchange server is still 2003.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2010-09-01, 05:10

I work in a corporate environment and was provided with a PC. It bugged me, so I bought in my own Mac last year and got myself sorted with Snow Leopard and Mail/iCal/AB. I resisted Microsoft software to prove that it could work and persisted with the Pages/Keynote/Numbers combo. It worked pretty well for the most part. Granted, there were a few incompatibility gripes from other staff - and the inability to decline an invite without a comment from Mail was frustrating for me - but I continued on this path and made the most of it.

However, when a staff discount offer to pick up Office 2008 for about $28 came around, I thought I'd give it a shot. A key reason was to be able to use Entourage to help migrate my email from my PC across to the Mac on the cheap, as once it is in Entourage it's a doddle to get it in Mail. I found, though, that using the MS suite actually made life easier at work. The Word/Excel/Powerpoint combo solved the small incompatibility issues and Entourage provided tighter Exchange integration. However, it is a mixed bag; the inability to book a room as well as have notes sync from my existing account are key gaps. The pedestrian UI is also a pain to deal with and the single database is not great for system wide OS X integration.

With Office 2011 for Mac containing Outlook, I see this (room bookings, notes syncing, new database based on individual files) changing and - to that end - am quite excited about it.

I still rely on OS X Mail/AB&C and Pages/Numbers/Keynote for personal stuff (can't stand Word and Powerpoint), but, in terms of corporate harmony, this is getting closer to the ideal.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-01, 08:28

Not for myself, but my workplace will be going straight from 2003 to 2010. Eventually. We're still switching people from XP to 7 (we skipped Vista too).
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-09-01, 12:49

Undoubtedly.

I've been using the Word beta as my main writing tool for about six weeks, and I absolutely love it.

I've been back and forth with Pages and Word for a couple of years, and I think that this Word is fantastic. That's the only app I'll ever use (I haven't even tried the other apps in the Office package once) but it's really great.

gibberish
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-09-23, 16:12

Word 2011 is a huge improvement over 2008, but it still doesn't match Pages for me. The ribbon interface, IMHO, doesn't translate well to an OS that isn't designed around every window always taking up the whole screen. The result is tiny buttons in the ribbon, with part of it simply getting cut off or selectively removed.

From what I can tell, Office 2011 will make dealing with office documents easier when I'm collaborating, but I envision very few cases where I'd use it rather than Pages for something only I am working on.
Partial
Stallion

2010-09-23, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I've been using Office 2010 (as an MSDN member, I get it early), though the only app I use extensively is Outlook (in part because our mail server is still Exchange Server 2003, which OS X's Mail cannot interface with; it requires 2007). It's got some nice improvements.

I do think that the availability of Office is a safety net for people unsure of whether to move to the Mac, much like the ability of running Windows has become one with Intel Macs.

Google Docs is little but a collaborative basic text editor and spreadsheet. It works nicely, and has some neat bonus features on the side (like making surveys), but I see the occasional "it will crush Office" hype article.

Haven't played much with the Office 2010 web apps yet.
I didn't see Office for Mac 2011 in MSDN. Is this what you're talking about? I would like to get the Mac version. I love 2010 at work on my PC.

Remote Desktop in Office 2011 for Mac works really good. I'm quite happy with it in Beta 6.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-09-23, 21:22

AFAIK, Mac products are not available via MSDN.
Partial
Stallion

2010-09-23, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
AFAIK, Mac products are not available via MSDN.
That's what I thought. I didn't see any the other day when browsing. Thought maybe I was missing them Bummer. Mac Office 2011 (I downloaded Beta 6) seems like a huge improvement. I have been using remote desktop like a menace. Was this the first version they've included RD? I don't recall seeing it in the past.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-09-24, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I didn't see Office for Mac 2011 in MSDN. Is this what you're talking about?
No, I'm talking about Office 2010, responding to the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
While beta testing office 2010, I found it to be pretty good. Moreso, I've come to like outlook. It integrates with social media, seems more organized and easier to use.

What I heard is that office for Mac will be pretty much identical [..]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Remote Desktop in Office 2011 for Mac works really good. I'm quite happy with it in Beta 6.
I'm confused. Are you talking about the Remote Desktop Connection client? It's version 2.1.0, i.e. a fairly minor update to the version that's been publicly, freely available since mid-08. I can't seem to find any changes; certainly no overwhelming improvements. It apparently doesn't do Aero Glass, it's still 32-bit, there's no dynamic size adjustment, etc. It works just fine (and feels more reliable than CoRD, though it is less flexible), but there's nothing new that I can see?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-09-24, 03:14

I’ll get it, but I’ll never use it except for the odd document that iWork can’t handle.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-09-24, 07:23

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you talking about the Remote Desktop Connection client? It's version 2.1.0, i.e. a fairly minor update to the version that's been publicly, freely available since mid-08. I can't seem to find any changes; certainly no overwhelming improvements. It apparently doesn't do Aero Glass, it's still 32-bit, there's no dynamic size adjustment, etc. It works just fine (and feels more reliable than CoRD, though it is less flexible), but there's nothing new that I can see?
Tangent:

You know, I actually have both RDC and CoRD; I've yet to decide which should be my preferred client. I found RDC to be quite funky - close a window and it quit immediately. So un-Mac-like and it seems to freeze up now and then. CoRD OTOH "feels" reliable (but this could easily be just a stroke of luck) but I find it annoying that it try to implement the command key as Windows key. So it's pretty much a toss-up for me.
chucker

2010-09-24, 07:37

Quote:
You know, I actually have both RDC and CoRD; I've yet to decide which should be my preferred client.
Ditto.

CoRD recently has been randomly losing tons of settings and keychain items for me over and over again (huh?), making it a bit of a tough love.

Quote:
I find it annoying that it try to implement the command key as Windows key. So it's pretty much a toss-up for me.
I actually find myself trying to press win-E a lot (for Explorer) in RDC, which does "Edit a Connection…". Ew. I prefer CoRD's approach, despite it being a bit… unconventional, and probably HIG-violating in more ways than one.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-09-24, 07:48

That's inconvenient. I've yet to see that happening (CoRD losing the settings) but yes I agree it does some UI stuff very weird and inconsistent.

Well, I hope that a better client come up one day and make it straightforward just as it is with VMWare which thankfully handles the keyboard sanely in contrast though it's not the same application.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2010-09-27, 15:58

I used to hate outlook.. to be honest, until they do away with PST files, I'll always hate it. But it finally feels useful, with it's integration of contacts emails and other activities all in one place. Also integrates social networking for more info. Still the calendar confuses me, overcomplicates something that's so simple. :/

Outlook is a winner, but PST data files really suck man.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
chucker

2010-10-05, 01:19

Interesting. We'll see.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-10-26, 12:07

ars article

Office 2011 for Mac out today for those interested. I'll get it when my school bookstore has it for $10
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-10-26, 12:21

As soon as it becomes available through the University service, we'll get it. I still have Office 2004...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-10-26, 12:21

I'll get it when my school puts it up on their STP server.
chucker

2010-10-26, 12:35

Confirmed. Added today.

Quote:
Available to Levels: VS Pro with MSDN Premium (Empower); VS Premium with MSDN (MPN); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (MPN); BizSpark Admin; BizSpark; VS Ultimate with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (MPN);
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-10-26, 12:38

cheap at amazon...almost picked up a family pack for 129...but do I even need Office anymore? I like keynote over powerpoint. And word is word is word...so keeping my old version running is no biggie...

mmmm, not sure yet if I'll get it...but if you need it, go to amazon through the applenova link.

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-26, 13:53

I sent my Dad some reviews and info, thinking maybe he can get it to work on his Mac the way he needs (and get rid of all this "Windows on his MacBook Pro" stuff he's been doing lately (because he's too much of a hardhead to learn the Mac version better).

Maybe Office '11 is a bit closer to what he's used to? Or has better compatibility with the Windows version? I don't know. Some of the reviews I've read mention this, but I don't know what features/functions they're talking about specifically...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"I don't like the Mac version of PowerPoint!"

"Well, have you taken the time to learn it, inside and out, and realize it's probably not going to be exactly like what you used on Windows XP 6-7 years ago?"

"No. I'm just going to install and configure all this other shit, which kinda negates the whole point of having a Mac in the first place, and buy/run the Windows version instead...".

Good thinking. Way to spend $1,799 when you could've just gone to Staples and spent $699 (and probably got a bigger screen, more RAM, bigger hard drive, etc.).

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-26, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I sent my Dad some reviews and info, thinking maybe he can get it to work on his Mac the way he needs (and get rid of all this "Windows on his MacBook Pro" stuff he's been doing lately (because he's too much of a hardhead to learn the Mac version better).

Maybe Office '11 is a bit closer to what he's used to? Or has better compatibility with the Windows version? I don't know. Some of the reviews I've read mention this, but I don't know what features/functions they're talking about specifically...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"I don't like the Mac version of PowerPoint!"

"Well, have you taken the time to learn it, inside and out, and realize it's probably not going to be exactly like what you used on Windows XP 6-7 years ago?"

"No. I'm just going to install and configure all this other shit, which kinda negates the whole point of having a Mac in the first place, and buy/run the Windows version instead...".

Good thinking. Way to spend $1,799 when you could've just gone to Staples and spent $699 (and probably got a bigger screen, more RAM, bigger hard drive, etc.).

And the best part is that somewhere down the line he'll probably complain that you turned him onto this "Mac" thing for $1,800 and it didn't even work.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-10-26, 16:15

I'll wait for a proper review from Ars or someone. Can't believe they are not providing two licenses in the Business edition (the only one with Outlook). So now to run on my laptop or desktop I have to fork over $279? Bite me, MS.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-26, 16:38

Yeah, that's kinda strange. I guess they figure business people can swing it.

AppleInsider has a fairly in-depth review up, since yesterday. It covers several pages and gets into some details.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-27, 09:43

Quote:
I actually find myself trying to press win-E a lot (for Explorer) in RDC, which does "Edit a Connection…". Ew. I prefer CoRD's approach, despite it being a bit… unconventional, and probably HIG-violating in more ways than one.
After installing the 2011, I noticed they also installed an updated version of RDC. Tried out and right now, it just looks a bit nicer than the one I had (1.0.4). The newer one has a proper Preferences dialog. By default, Win-E would still get "Edit a Connection" but at least keyboard shortcut can be edited which was not the case and after a quick tweak, Win-E now can work just like what I'm doing on VMWare, so there's that.

Will have to use it for a bit more to see if it'll eke out ahead of CoRD so I can be done with this toss-up.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-27, 17:40

Any first hand reviews?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-10-27, 17:48

For me, it's too early to say - I've only used it for couple of hours.

However, off the first brush, one they did right: the applications are much more responsive. I've not had a beachball where 2004 would not only beachball but constantly grab my attention to tell me it was beachballing.

Of course, having said that, I'll be getting beachball and getting my focus grabbed.