Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

No more push with Gmail for iOS on January 30th

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No more push with Gmail for iOS on January 30th
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-12-16, 23:18

So Google will be dropping consumer support of Google Sync. That means no more Exchange for mail, the way to get push mail with a gmail account. Windows Phone users are fucked, but for iOS, Google is suggesting the Gmail app... yeah right.

Not sure about that part
Quote:
Those who rely on Google’s services can currently enable EAS support on their devices but after January 30, only existing users will continue to be able to use EAS
Don't know if that means I'll still be able to use my account setup as Exchange past that. If yes, for how long ? Anyway...
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012...windows-phone/

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-12-17, 06:21

For what it's worth, I really like the Gmail app. In fact, all of Google's apps post iOS 5 are great. The YouTube app is way better than the old one, and Google Maps is fantastic. Apple should have dropped Google sooner!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-12-17, 09:07

I am still trying to figure out what the dropping of support for Google Sync, Google's implementation of Exchange ActiveSync, will mean technically. First, on reading a couple of articles on the net, my own understanding is that Google's announcement means that no new accounts will get Exchange ActiveSync support for mail and contact sync as of January and, the same for calendar sync, except that applies immediately. However, I understand that Google will continue to support existing accounts, so I have nothing to worry about....for now.

A potential variation on the above that I have read is that it is not existing accounts that will get grandfathered, but existing devices. That is, you will not be able to set up any new device with Exchange ActiveSync even on an existing Google account. This variation actually represents a big difference in effect. Still, I am ok...for now.

I find it hard to believe though that Google would continue to offer 'legacy' support in the above ways for any long period of time. I figure that eventually they will force that legacy group to transition to their new sync solutions, which do not have Exchange ActiveSync at their heart. What does that mean though for Apple iOS and OS X users that use Google's implementation of Exchange ActiveSync as part of their basic sync setup? I am not sure. It is not just a matter of transitioning to Google's Mail app on iOS - although I have no desire to do even that - because Exchange ActiveSync is, if I understand it correctly, at the core of how my devices/computers stay synced more fundamentally.

I suppose there may be work arounds using Google's new sync offerings, but I doubt those will be as good, at least for those outside of the Android world, because part of Google's specific strategy here is to stop offering its systems as the free sync solution for everyone. I imagine that I will have to try an all-Apple solution, though I am not sure exactly how that will work, especially in bridging the gap between my Microsoft computer at work and my all-Apple world at home and on the road. I did not have perfect sync in that regard because our office does not allow it, but I had been using Google's syncing as something of a work around, and I think that will likely disappear.

I think that I can see where this is headed. Even as computers and devices become more and more capable in their actual capabilities, they are going to become more and more hamstrung in their effective capabilities in syncing, and maybe even in talking with each other, as individual platforms try to convince you to stay in their environment. Complete compatibility is in the consumer's interest, but it is not in the interest of Google, Apple, or Microsoft or others. Billions are at stake from their perspective in keeping you as far as possible in their individual worlds. I predict that each of these environments will become more and more closed, offering 'some' support for those outside, but not the full support that those on the inside get.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-12-17, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
For what it's worth, I really like the Gmail app. In fact, all of Google's apps post iOS 5 are great. The YouTube app is way better than the old one, and Google Maps is fantastic. Apple should have dropped Google sooner!
True that the YouTube and map app are way better now. Maybe I should give the gmail app a second chance now
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-12-17, 10:13

I don't have push mail, but I have my gmail set up to give me push notifications so I know as soon as I get an email then I can reload mail and get it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-12-17, 23:42

Just tried the gmail app. It's too slow. Like every time you open it, it logs in and it takes like 5-10sec. Apple Mail is instant...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-12-18, 01:13

ANOTHER PROBLEM with the new Google Maps is that it doesn't seem to talk to the Address Book.

I need to go back and read to see if Gmail can talk to the inboard phone book or if they're stealing me away to their cloud address book.

This is IMPORTANT shit.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-12-18, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
ANOTHER PROBLEM with the new Google Maps is that it doesn't seem to talk to the Address Book.

I need to go back and read to see if Gmail can talk to the inboard phone book or if they're stealing me away to their cloud address book.

This is IMPORTANT shit.

I really like the new map app. But the Address Book thing can be a pain. Hope they get it back in asap. What were they thinking !?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-12-18, 13:17

Back to the "mail" portion of this, I suppose that there is no way to get iCloud to "push" email on a gmail address, correct? I have started to use iCloud for some sync'ing, and I am impressed with it so far (though I realize that it has had some hiccups in its early stages, for those that adopted it right away). If I understand correctly, it can sync any email account, but can only push .icloud addresses (or the old .me or .mac addresses).

I wonder if this is a feature that Apple could add, however. Though direct push would have to come from Google - which Google is not going to do anymore for new setups, beginning in January - given that iCloud can already detect when you have a new email with respect to any email address you give it, including gmail, why could iCloud not do a secondary push?

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-12-18, 15:34

iCloud doesn't sync any third party email no ? Just @icloud or @me...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-12-18, 16:17

I thought that it sync'd it, but did not push it. I could be wrong about the sync'ing though.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-12-19, 08:03

I looked into it a bit more, and I was wrong about that. iCloud only syncs Apple email. I suppose that Apple could set up iCloud to sync email from any source on your devices, but I can see why Apple would not get into that, as they presumably would have to store other providers' emails.

Still, it means that push mail except with iCloud email addresses, or with gmail through the dedicated iOS Gmail app, may be on the way out. Too bad.