Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Setting up W2K3 Server for Mac OSX

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Setting up W2K3 Server for Mac OSX
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-11-03, 14:05

technically this is a W2K3 Server issue. But, as it is directly related to configuring for use with OSX i'm hoping i'll get away with this here

this is my first experience with setting up W2K3 server. for the record, i'm setting it up on a new piece of hardware that came preloaded with it. so, when i first boot the machine i have to go through all the setup.

one of the first things i have to do is assign server a Full DNS name for the internal domain. the setup explicitly says that .local should not be used for the suffix of the local domain if Mac OSX 10.2 or later is to be used on the network because it uses .local as the Rendevous suffix.

o.k. fine. but, what *should* i use? and will changing this suffix completely complicate my installation/configuration of the W2K3 server as a domain controller for the network?

i'm hoping to hear from some sys admins who've gone through this already. anyone?

thx.
toadkicker

2004-11-03, 21:42

It depends on your network's DNS really. If this is the only W2K3 server, and the entire namespace doesn't depend on a FQDN, then you can use .local as long as an OS X server is the authority for the .local namespace. You could simply install rendevous on the server, since Apple gives it out (http://developer.apple.com/macosx/re...zvousSetup.exe).
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-11-04, 12:55

thanks.

we dont have any osx servers. just several osx 10.3.5 users.

my concern was with these mac users being able to properly access the W2K3 shares. from others i've gleaned that any suffix can be used fine, e.g. .lan, .office, etc....

it would have been interesting installing rendezvous on the server. but, time doesnt allow for much tinkering these days

/me longs for the good ol' days :/