User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Changing the name in the "To" field - Mail App

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Changing the name in the "To" field - Mail App
trevo

2006-01-30, 07:37

I want to change my name in the "To" field in the mail.app. Obviously this is done on my computer because you don't write the name of the person your composing an email to, you just write the email address.

I presumed this was shown from whatever name you had yourself called in your address book, however that is not so.

Thanks
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-30, 08:13

Um, don't you mean the "From" field?
JLL

2006-01-30, 10:02

Your name is from the 'Full Name' field in Mail's preferences.

The receivers names are from Address Book or Mail itself if you have gotten any mails from the persons before.

- No matter where you go, there you are.
trevo

2006-01-30, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
Your name is from the 'Full Name' field in Mail's preferences.

The receivers names are from Address Book or Mail itself if you have gotten any mails from the persons before.
My name is already changed in mail's prefs to what it should be. I know i'm the only one that can see it but it bugs me, the scientist inside me wants to change it.

*Email address removed* thought i would mention it because it looks a little odd.

Last edited by trevo : 2006-01-30 at 19:42.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-30, 20:17

try editing the card in Address Book that is designated as your Card (it has a special icon).
trevo

2006-01-30, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
try editing the card in Address Book that is designated as your Card (it has a special icon).
Tried that already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O'Keyes
I presumed this was shown from whatever name you had yourself called in your address book, however that is not so.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-01-31, 05:23

Login to your Apple account and change your name that you have registered with them!

Honestly - think for 5 mins. That field is populated by Apple's mail server. It's got nothing to do with your client!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
trevo

2006-01-31, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Login to your Apple account and change your name that you have registered with them!

Honestly - think for 5 mins. That field is populated by Apple's mail server. It's got nothing to do with your client!
I've thought for much longer than 5 minutes. What happened to being polite?

About 90% of my emails are under Matt Trevarthen, about 10% are Matthew O'Keyes. Most, nearly all of my newsletters are registered under O'Keyes. As i said before when you compose an email you don't send the name of that person with it, you just write their email address so obviously this first part of the field is generated from somewhere?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-31, 10:47

Quote:
I've thought for much longer than 5 minutes. What happened to being polite?
unfortunately with "genius" comes condescension for some folks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-31, 12:41

Quote:
...you just write their email address so obviously this first part of the field is generated from somewhere?
No, what you are seeing is in the email itself. Whoever or whatever is emailing you is including what it thinks is your real name into the header of the message. When looking at a message like that, choose View -> Message -> Raw Source. I'll bet it's right there.

The only way to change your name in the "to" field of incoming mail is to contact the sending person/service and notify them that the name is incorrect.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
trevo

2006-01-31, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
No, what you are seeing is in the email itself. Whoever or whatever is emailing you is including what it thinks is your real name into the header of the message. When looking at a message like that, choose View -> Message -> Raw Source. I'll bet it's right there.

The only way to change your name in the "to" field of incoming mail is to contact the sending person/service and notify them that the name is incorrect.

Interesting.... Thanks Brad. However there is still one interesting twist in the story line.

I've looked at the raw source from the emails with "Trevarthen" and discovered that there is no mention of my name what so ever and under the raw source of an email the "to" field has only my email address. As to the emails that display "O'Keyes" are actually dispayed in the raw source and makes sense.
Gargoyle

2006-01-31, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
unfortunately with "genius" comes condescension for some folks.
Woo hoo, SKMDC called me a genius.... I think!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-31, 19:05

Quote:
Tried that already...
oops, I missed that. I wasn't even drunk yet when I posted, either.

have you tried viewing the Window for Previous Recipients, and removing your name and email address if it's there?
Gargoyle

2006-01-31, 19:10

The only interesting thing aboout this thread is that if you have two address book entries with the same email address, then Mail will only give you one of them as you start typing. For example, I created these to entries in Address Book...
Code:
Gargoyle, Guru of Zen - my@email.address Gargoyle, Lamer of Lamers - my@email.address
Then if I compose a new message and type Gargoyle, Mail only gives me "Gargoyle, Lamer of Lamers" as an auto-complete. But if I change one of the emails to my2@... then I get the drop-down to choose from!

Interesting.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!