User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Crossed wires and other humanly malfunctions.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Crossed wires and other humanly malfunctions.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-04-04, 03:46

Maybe it's the extra stress I've been under... but I caught myself doing some odd stuff today.

Firstly, earlier today I went to get bread out of the freezer... so I walked up to the microwave and opened the microwave door, wondering where the bread went. After realizing the microwave was not the freezer I quickly walked away pretending like nothing was wrong.

And just now... I finished washing my face, giving it a hard scrub, and I went to get some moisturizing cream. I opened the medicine cabinet and grabbed my shaving cream, popped the cap off, and started loading my hand up with foam. I just stood there looking at my hand covered with shaving cream, like I was about to give myself a smooth shave or something, wondering what in the hell was I looking for in the first place.

I truly hope it's just the stress effecting me... because other then that I think I'm getting old.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
v.noir

2006-04-04, 04:12

I wouldn't worry too much; I do things like that from time to time, and I'm only 19. Unless we're both going crazy? A frightening prospect.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 07:01

Sometimes, when I'm falling asleep and I'm about halfway there, if there's a sharp noise (like if somebody dropped something), I'll hear the noise but also see a bright flash of light. Definite crossed-wires action.

Ugh.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-04-04, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
Sometimes, when I'm falling asleep and I'm about halfway there, if there's a sharp noise (like if somebody dropped something), I'll hear the noise but also see a bright flash of light. Definite crossed-wires action.
that sounds pretty cool.

in school i'd always forget my pen/pencil, so i'd keep it on my ear. still very easy to forget, but when i ask someone else for one they are quick to remind me. some people were dicks about it, and would refuse to lend me one b/c "you already have one", and i'd be all "no i don't" they'd be like "yes you do" and i'd walk away angry at them only to find the pen an hour later. sometimes when i'm walking around like a zombie, i'll look for the remote control, but not paying attention i'll grab any small object around the house and start hitting buttons on it; pack of smokes, bottle of soda, bowl, anything. i haven't remembered to embed the microchips in them yet. i open the fridge looking for cigarettes so often that its not funny. in my place i only smoke in the kitchen, and its just natural to open the fridge when going in there. then i look and say, "i don't want any of that," walk back to the living room and work up an even stronger nic fit. i might go on a few empty-handed fridge trips before i remember that i was looking for my smokes.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-04, 12:12

Then there's Synaesthesia... a neurological crossing of senses. Less than 1 in 2000 people have it.

more sources and reports

Flash demo
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-04, 13:40

I do that stuff sometimes. I'll also think I'm saying one word, but a different word comes out of my mouth. It's definitely made my wife go WTF?!? a few times when I told her what I thought I said and she tells me that that's not what I said.

Weird, eh?

I've also found myself looking for milk in the cupboard, or PB in the freezer or what have you.
¡Damned!

2006-04-04, 13:54

I do shit like this all the time. Leaving my ice cream in the fridge door and mustard in the freezer and what not. That's no biggie. Losing my coffee pisses me off, but whatever, I'll eventually find it in an odd place and get a good chuckle. I'm always walking into the kitchen and forgetting what I went in there for...I don't know, I just consider that my brain has probably thought about 37 unrelated things in the hallway from bedroom to kitchen and it sometimes gets stuck. It's cool.

Although, mistaking the clothes hamper for a urinal was a tad embarrassing, but I was more than a bit drunk.

So it goes.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-04-04, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Although, mistaking the clothes hamper for a urinal was a tad embarrassing, but I was more than a bit drunk.
first year in college my ra told us this story: wild party in the non-dorm area. lots of drinking and fun all around. a young student stumbles back to the dorm area, looking to drain the pipes. wanders into the wrong doorway. procedes into a student room, and to opening a student's desk drawer, leaving a pool of urine, and dries his hands off with a few pieces of printer paper before leaving. the next day the kids were nonplussed, to say the least. lesson #1 for locking your doors in a dormitory.

i've walked into the wrong room more than once, seconds away from pulling peter out. perhcance i've managed to protect my dignity atleast while others are around.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-04, 14:48

I have this thing for going into the ladies changeroom in swimming pools. Seriously. Two weeks ago I was at a spa with my wife (before the boner-inducing warm oil massage), went to shower before hitting the mineral pool, and strolled right into the ladies showers.

I've done that two other times in recent memory. It's like my subconscious takes away my ability to distinguish the female and male figures above the doorways, in hopes of getting a look at some titties. Of course you don't know if you're get firm 20 year old breasts, sweet 30 year old tits, or oily 70 year old bush.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-04, 15:10

But it's that roll of the dice (and those great "unknowns") that make life sweet and worth living, m.

Cherish those moments, brother man.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-04, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
And just now... I finished washing my face, giving it a hard scrub, and I went to get some moisturizing cream. I opened the medicine cabinet and grabbed my shaving cream, popped the cap off, and started loading my hand up with foam. I just stood there looking at my hand covered with shaving cream, like I was about to give myself a smooth shave or something, wondering what in the hell was I looking for in the first place.
Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. I've had toothpaste in my hair on more than one occasion
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-04-04, 16:17

Haha, I'll often do something incredibly stupid like that. At various friends' houses, I'll often walk into the wrong door, thinking I'm in the bathroom... my hand reaches southward to let the cat out of the bag, euphemistically speaking, and then I realize it's his sister's room or something.

You ask me for a hamburger.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-04, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Haha, I'll often do something incredibly stupid like that. At various friends' houses, I'll often walk into the wrong door, thinking I'm in the bathroom... my hand reaches southward to let the cat out of the bag, euphemistically speaking, and then I realize it's his sister's room or something.
Sounds like a subconscious attraction to the sister rather than absent mindedness to me
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-04-04, 16:54

or the microsoft lady.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-04-04, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
or the microsoft lady.
haha
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-04, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball
Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. I've had toothpaste in my hair on more than one occasion
"Is that hair gel?"

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-04, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
I have this thing for going into the ladies changeroom in swimming pools. Seriously. Two weeks ago I was at a spa with my wife (before the boner-inducing warm oil massage), went to shower before hitting the mineral pool, and strolled right into the ladies showers.

I've done that two other times in recent memory. It's like my subconscious takes away my ability to distinguish the female and male figures above the doorways, in hopes of getting a look at some titties. Of course you don't know if you're get firm 20 year old breasts, sweet 30 year old tits, or oily 70 year old bush.
Dude, those aren't crossed wires, that's a cunning plan.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-04, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709

There's a classic tale about cybersex that brings to mind...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-04, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot

I did that at the Olive Garden a couple years ago. I remember thinking when I went in "Why aren't there any urinals in here?"

Of course it didn't hit me until I left the bathroom and my wife started laughing at me. Then the kids sitting on the bench across from us starting laughing too and a minute later their mother came out of the ladies room. Oops!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2006-04-04, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Dude, those aren't crossed wires, that's a cunning plan.
Tell that to Baldrick. He's the master of cunning plans.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 18:02

I was *so* tired one day that I was walking down the hall to head downstairs and on to class. I turn to corner, where the stairwell is on one side and another dorm room on the other. I, or course, walked into the dorm room (the door was open) as the guy was getting dressed, rather than the stairwell.

They still haven't forgotten that one...
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-04, 18:46

The worst is when you do everything backwards -- put your hat on before your sweater before your t-shirt; shoes before pants..
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-04-04, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
shoes before pants..
Done that too. hehe.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-04-04, 19:36

If you've got a good promoter, you can make it a hip hop trend...