User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Does an iMac make a good TV replacement?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does an iMac make a good TV replacement?
Chellovek

2006-10-27, 13:07

Well, just as the thread title says. I need to buy some form of new TV but I'm pushed for space. Any comments regarding using an iMac and a DVB tv tuner to create a tv replacement? Anyone out there on the intarwebs use such a setup?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-27, 13:11

DVB-T, DVB-S (or S2) or DVB-C?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-27, 13:13

Lots of people use Macs as TV-replacements. It's not hard at all, and the quality can be very good with the right tuner.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-27, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Lots of people use Macs as TV-replacements. It's not hard at all, and the quality can be very good with the right tuner.
But since an iMac doesn't have HD inputs, nor any interface with the necessary bandwidth for HD input, you're probably limited to something like 720p, if even that.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-27, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
But since an iMac doesn't have HD inputs, nor any interface with the necessary bandwidth for HD input, you're probably limited to something like 720p, if even that.
Right. I can't think of any HD tuners for Macs at the moment.

[edit]

I stand sort of corrected. The Elgato Eye TV Hybrid apparently will feed HD content to your Mac, but you have to have an external digital antenna. It can't take feeds from a cable or satellite box, though.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
chucker

2006-10-27, 13:24

Chellovek, Elgato makes hardware and software for watching and recording TV. Miglia also makes hardware, but uses Elgato's software.
Chellovek

2006-10-27, 13:35

Well maybe I'll come clean

I bought a Miglia DVB-T 'tv-mini' tuner and the elgato eyetv software about a month ago; it's done me proud for watching tv on my powerbook. However, I was really interested in seeing if folks have made the step of replacing their 'main' tv with a mac, and to see what those suggestions were without any preconceptions of what my existing hardware was.

On the finer details: eyetv does seem to do the trick, but it doesn't really integrate that cleanly with frontrow. Other options (mediacentral, centerstage, etc..) just don't cut it. The best I can imaging would be eyetv / frontrow with RemoteBuddy to do the switching. Ideally I'd like to ditch iDVD and replace it with VLC, but I can't see a simple way of doing that in a manner that any idiot can pick up the remote, wave it around, and get the tv to work.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-27, 13:38

I thought the newest EyeTV software had a link to Front Row on the menu. You might check to see if you have the latest version.

Also, I think you're confused about iDVD. iDVD is for making DVDs--DVD Player is for watching them.

chucker

2006-10-27, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellovek View Post
Ideally I'd like to ditch iDVD and replace it with VLC
Chellovek

2006-10-27, 13:57

Thanks for the speedy responses. I must say, having lurked on applenova for >2 years this is about the most coherent and informed bunch of apple ner-do-wells I've ever come across.
Quote:
I thought the newest EyeTV software had a link to Front Row on the menu. You might check to see if you have the latest version.

Also, I think you're confused about iDVD. iDVD is for making DVDs--DVD Player is for watching them.
Yes, EyeTV does have a link into FrontRow - however the Miglia remote doesn't always behave when driving FrontRow. Hence I think RemoteBuddy might help, being able to drive both eyetv and FrontRow from the apple remote (or if 5 buttons don't suffice, something larger).

You're right I am mistaken, I mean the DVD player app, not iDVD.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-27, 14:02

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy responses. I must say, having lurked on applenova for >2 years this is about the most coherent and informed bunch of apple ner-do-wells I've ever come across.
Thanks. We do love to help.

Quote:
Yes, EyeTV does have a link into FrontRow - however the Miglia remote doesn't always behave when driving FrontRow. Hence I think RemoteBuddy might help, being able to drive both eyetv and FrontRow from the apple remote (or if 5 buttons don't suffice, something larger).
It's a bit big, but you might try the ATI Remote Wonder. It's a pretty solid remote, and I'm sure you can probably get it to work with Front Row and EyeTV.

Chellovek

2006-10-27, 14:12

Quote:
It's a bit big, but you might try the ATI Remote Wonder.

Thanks! I think the Keyspan Express might be my best bet if the apple remote is too small!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-27, 14:15

Quote:

[IMG]http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbnBE8s654-0dmnM:http://www.offshore-technology.com/contractor_images/kanfa/3_oil_tanker.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks! I think the Keyspan Express might be my best bet if the apple remote is too small!
Haha, I love the boat analogy... yeah, it's a big-ass remote. It works well, though (I had one for my Home Theater PC).

Keyspan looks pretty good. I don't know if I'd seen that before or not.