User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Mac mini with an integrated iPod dock?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac mini with an integrated iPod dock?
mattf

2005-03-01, 10:20

The register are reporting that somebody has investigated a riser card within the Mac mini and found a firewire bus with no connections on it. This, they say, points to a "missing" iPod dock.

What does everybody think?

Personally, I don't believe it. Firstly, I think it would ruin the aesthetics of the unit, but more importantly I think that they'd have a problem with the various iPod / iPod mini / iPod photo sizes. I've seen the solution that Altec Lansing use with their inMotion speakers (little bits of plastic that clip in to provide the various sizes), but I'm not convinced that that's a route Apple will go.

Then again, I didn't think that the Mac mini would look anything like it does, so what do I know!

Matt

P.S. Oh yeah, 1st post. Be gentle.
+++

2005-03-01, 11:24

Supposedly Apple was going to ship the mini with an iPod dock but decided against it..One of those reasons being the difference in iPod sizes across the generations and the mini.

The Oldest Mac Gaming Clan on the 'Net
1.5ghz 12" Powerbook w/Superdrive
octavist13

2005-03-01, 13:13

Maybe, maybe not. We'll find out sooner or later.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-03-01, 16:23

Before the Mac mini was announced, the rumors of the "headless Mac" included a bit about a built-in iPod dock.

It would be a cool idea...

"Wow, you have a big iPod dock, Bob."
"No, I just have a really small computer."
"Wha...you don't mean...that is...whoooaaa."
Quagmire
meh

2005-03-01, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by +++
Supposedly Apple was going to ship the mini with an iPod dock but decided against it..One of those reasons being the difference in iPod sizes across the generations and the mini.
I would think apple would ship different pieces for it like my Bose sound dock did. It came with a 20 GB 4g iPod piece, mini piece, and the 3g iPods pieces. So Mac Mini comes in and there is a piece of it missing with the iPod dock connector in the middle and then the pieces will fill the missing spot. The reason they scrapped it I do not know. Maybe they found to many glitches and decided to give it to rev b models or whenever it is ready.

giggity
satansam

2005-03-01, 18:14

maybe it meant auto CD ripping to iPod? just stick an iPod in to power up a little sub-OS, insert an Audio CD and wham-bam thank you mam! it rips straight to the iPod.

perhaps? perhaps not?
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-03-01, 20:41

the ipod was only designed to mirror a music library that is already on your computer, so ripping straight to an ipod wouldnt work so well.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-01, 23:10

i'd assume it was for front mounted firewire and usb ports. would make the most sense. an integrated iPod dock would be retarded and very unApple
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-03-01, 23:27

Does anyone remember the profile switching rumour that was floating around a year ago where you stored your profile on your pod. Given that the Mini could make inroads into larger organisations, this might be revived.

Or not. Have never been good at this apple cloak and dagger stuff.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-01, 23:48

It was more than a rumor. As I recall, it was actually functional in some builds but was removed. I think it's still generally a bad idea because those drives aren't meant to be constantly accessed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Asmodeus

2005-03-02, 12:27

Prolly removed because apple knew they were going to use USB2 for future iPods.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-03-02, 18:41

In order to fix the problem with different iPod sizes, they'd probably have different docks that you could fit in a slot. Think of the expansion bays on the G3 PB, except vertical, and with iPod docks on the exposed side. The slot would probably have a door, so that if you didn't have a dock in there, it wouldn't look bad - kinda like the DuoDock.
MacGregor

2005-03-03, 13:45

I understand that to us it might seem "retarded," but I thought months ago that the new iMac might have some way of integrating an iPod dock. I still think it could/should be done. Why?

Cost: Negligible if the connectors are already there and negligible compared to the fact that it may convince a few more people to buy the Mini and iPod as a bundle - that means alot more money for a small standard accessory connector.

Aesthetics: If it could be integrated well, Apple-like, with a door or something, it would not be a "negative" at least. Also it would eliminate one more cable.

Practicalities: There are FW and ethernet ports in the back of all Macs and for many consumers, they would use the integrated iPod dock 100 times more often than the ethernet port. With all of the accessories for iPods now, the iPod dock connection itself is becoming a de facto standard I/O on Macs anyway. Also the integrated dock would free a FW or USB2 port. One of the major drawbacks of the Mini.

Philosophically: This option would increase the MacMini's functionality as more than being a computer. It would more easily find a place on a stereo shelf if it was the place to also dock your iPod.

Coolness: Imagine a bundle of a Mac Mini, iPod and iPod Shuffle and Airport Express - all for $999 - all integrated (Shuffle to the USB obviously) as a package with few cable needs! Can you think of a better way for a newbie or Switcher to enter Mac-dom? Okay, that's going beyond the thread, but...

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-03, 18:33

It would make sense, especially with none of the new iPods coming with Docks. I've long that this could happen. But something about the plastic of the iPod going into a port doesn't appeal aesthetically. Now, brushed metal, mmmmm. That would work.