AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Brad's iTunes 10 colorizer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Brad's iTunes 10 colorizer
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-11-14, 20:12

Back when iTunes 10 came out and Apple washed all the color out of iTunes, I created a custom resource file for iTunes that brought back the vibrant colors of iTunes past. I've updated that custom resource to work with the latest iTunes 10.4.

[Download Link]

To install:
  • Unzip the file.
  • Control-click iTunes.app in the Finder and choose "Show Package Contents".
  • Drop the iTunes.rsrc file into Contents/Resources/ to replace the existing file.
  • Restart iTunes.

My rsrc file brings back color to the source list (*both* small and large icon sizes), the Preferences icons (edit: Apple finally brought color back to these), the playlist checkboxes, and the playlist sorting headers.

I made my own edits because all of the others I'd seen lacked some piece or made another piece buggy.

Let me know if you use it. If it looks like people want it, I'll try to keep posting new versions when iTunes updates are released.

edit 2011-03-03: Updated for iTunes 10.2 compatibility!
edit 2011-07-13: Updated for iTunes 10.3 compatibility!
edit 2011-07-25: Updated for iTunes 10.4 compatibility!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-14, 20:17

Brad, you're my hero.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-11-14, 20:50

Thank you so much, Brad!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-11-14, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Brad, you're my hero.
Couldn't have put it better. Thanks Brad.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-11-14, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Weekend isn't over yet! I've updated and finally uploaded my modified iTunes.rsrc for 10.1.

[Download Link]

To install:
  • Unzip the file.
  • Control-click iTunes.app in the Finder and choose "Show Package Contents".
  • Drop the iTunes.rsrc file into Contents/Resources/ to replace the existing file.
  • Restart iTunes.

My rsrc file brings back color to the source list (*both* small and large icon sizes), the Preferences icons, the playlist checkboxes, and the playlist sorting headers. My rsrc file also flattens the bright header/toolbar gradients to match the system defaults for the full-size player with vertical buttons, full-size player with horizontal buttons, and mini player. Last but not least, I've also smoothed over the "baseball" volume knob.

I made my own edits because all of the others I'd seen lacked some piece or made another piece buggy.

Let me know if you use it. If it looks like people want it, I'll try to keep posting new versions when iTunes updates are released.
Is the "Purchased" category (under the STORE section) a custom part of your .rsrc file? I ask because somewhere along the way, mine disappeared and I haven't been able to get it back. I can make a smart playlist, but that gets buried in all the other playlists.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-14, 22:03

I deleted purchased a while back too, I've been wondering if there's any way to get it back...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-11-14, 23:02

Yeah, I don't really want it back but it's something that has crossed my mind. I was thinking that perhaps buying a song in iTunes might recreate the list but I don't really buy much digital music so it's not something I have the chance to try very often.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-11-15, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
My rsrc file brings back color to the source list (*both* small and large icon sizes), the Preferences icons, the playlist checkboxes, and the playlist sorting headers. My rsrc file also flattens the bright header/toolbar gradients to match the system defaults for the full-size player with vertical buttons, full-size player with horizontal buttons, and mini player. Last but not least, I've also smoothed over the "baseball" volume knob.
Jackpot!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-11-15, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Yeah, I don't really want it back but it's something that has crossed my mind. I was thinking that perhaps buying a song in iTunes might recreate the list but I don't really buy much digital music so it's not something I have the chance to try very often.
Unlike the iApp stores, music cannot be redownloaded for free. You may contact iTunes support and in some cases they'll help you, but it is on a case by case basis (read: what happened for someone else may not happen for you).

With my iPhone & iPad, I found if I right-click on them in iTunes, there is a "sync purchased content" or something similar that will copy stuff I've bought (both apps and music) from my iDevice into iTunes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-11-17, 13:40

One niggle with Brad's replacement .rsrc: the icon for the Purchased playlists is blue like regular playlists, but should be green. I'm not sure iTunes 10 still has separate icons for them, though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-11-17, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
One niggle with Brad's replacement .rsrc: the icon for the Purchased playlists is blue like regular playlists, but should be green. I'm not sure iTunes 10 still has separate icons for them, though.
I noticed that too and I can't fix that. iTunes 10.0 killed the internal distinction between the two list types.
chucker

2010-11-17, 17:10

Aw.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-03, 19:49

Bump! Updated for iTunes 10.2 compatibility. Link updated in the first post, also here: [Download]
chucker

2011-03-04, 01:19

Thanks.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-03-04, 13:23

I don't know how I missed this the first time around. Very cool! Thanks.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-04, 15:28

Just updated to 10.2 with Brad's modifier. Things working great. Thanks again Brad for making me tolerate iTunes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-04, 15:34

Man, by default OS X is getting so...bley.

Of course, it probably doesn't help that I have AppleNova open all the time. But still. Bley!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-06-08, 09:42

Just an FYI, the Brad Color Hack works with the latest iTunes update 10.3.1
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-08, 10:13

It may work, but I wouldn't recommend using it until I get a chance to actually verify the contents of the new resource file. There could be strings or icons or whole sections of interface missing that are stored as part of the new resource file.

I'll probably take a look at the new update tonight or tomorrow. I haven't bothered to update iTunes to 10.3.x on any of my systems yet.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-06-08, 21:59

Wow, I just installed iTunes 10 and it sucks big time. It doesn't see any of my music, and the few songs it did see only play through my iPod nano in 30 sec slices, WTF?

Kyros

2011-06-09, 13:52

Yay, my iTunes is pretty again (I'm still on 10.2 anyway because I'm lazy about updates).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-13, 20:32

Bump. I've slogged through the new resources and created a new file for iTunes 10.3.1. The new rsrc file from Apple for iTunes 10.3.x does differ from the file for iTunes 10.2.x. So, please update using the new file if you tried using the old one!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-13, 22:42

Wonderful! Thanks again, Brad. Some of us do really appreciate, you know, colors.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-21, 09:02

Just a reminder: don't try installing this over the new iTunes 10.4 yet. I may update my patched resources file over the weekend.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-24, 23:16

Updated for iTunes 10.4!

This is going to get really painful to update in the future. Despite iTunes now being a Cocoa app, it still uses the archaic resource file for various UI elements. However, all of the publicly available resource file editors are PowerPC apps, meaning you can't run them on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. How Apple plans to maintain these files is beyond me. Maybe they have a secret copy of RedEdit running in-house? Anyone have any ideas?

judy4cats

2011-07-25, 09:18

Thank you, Brad! I am now able to see the iTunes sidebar again!
Your fan, Judy
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-07-26, 12:55

Thanks Brad.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-26, 13:49

Glad to be of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy4cats View Post
Thank you, Brad! I am now able to see the iTunes sidebar again!
Your fan, Judy
Thanks for sending the reminder email, Judy. I'd have probably slacked off and put off finishing it for another few days if I didn't know someone was waiting for it!

Dr. H

2011-08-01, 16:15

Hello Brad, just registered to say thank you for colourising my iTunes! You rock!

Is there any chance I could persuade you to colourise Lion's Finder sidebar too?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-01, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. H View Post
Is there any chance I could persuade you to colourise Lion's Finder sidebar too?
Good idea. As soon as I upgrade one of my systems to Lion, it'll be at the top of my list! (I'm still holding out on a few third-party compatibility issues.)