Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

PCI ATA card for old Power Mac G4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCI ATA card for old Power Mac G4
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-14, 15:31

One of my three internal drives died recently, leaving me with two. Now, one of those is starting to buzz like it's on its last leg. So, I'm looking to buy some new hard drives. However, my old Power Mac is of the variety that is limited to ~120 GB drives on the main ATA bus and I am interested in buying a PCI card to alleviate this limitation.

I see that OWC has a PCI card available for US$70.

Has anyone else here purchased a card for this purpose? Is the US$70 price tag a fair price, or are there better deals available that are fully compatible with Mac OS X and the "gigabit ethernet" G4 towers?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-14, 15:36

I'd go SATA, personally. SATA hard drives are more common and the cards are actually cheaper. The cheapest one on OWC is just $40, but it only has two ports. The 4-port version is $58.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-14, 15:39

Interesting. I didn't realize SATA was cheaper now; I've not been following the market at all.

Thanks, Luca!
¡Damned!

2006-06-14, 15:44

I think that's a fair price. I've had a Tempo ATA133 in my Dual 1Ghz GE for a few years now and it's been a real trooper. Never had a problem with it. (*knocks on wood*)

So it goes.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-14, 15:50

It just doesn't make much sense to invest more money in dying technology when you could get something newer for cheaper.

Maybe it would be worth it if Brad had some old ATA drives he wanted to keep using, but if you need to replace the hard drives themselves too, you may as well just go with SATA. This also means that you'll be able to move your newly purchased hard drives to a new machine if/when you get one.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-14, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
This also means that you'll be able to move your newly purchased hard drives to a new machine if/when you get one.
That's precisely my line of thought now too. Future-proofing an investment like this is a big plus.

I have one ATA drive in there that seems to be doing okay, but it will continue to operate just fine off the built-in ATA bus.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2006-06-14, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
It just doesn't make much sense to invest more money in dying technology when you could get something newer for cheaper.
Agreed. I didn't even think about a PCI/SATA card. Good call.