Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Emergency MacBook advice needed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Emergency MacBook advice needed
HOM
The Elder™

2006-07-13, 15:39

It was bound the happen. My 12" PowerBook is dead.

I had ruled out getting another Mac for numerous reasons, but now that I've got a Treo again the ultra portability isn't as important.

Here are my questions:

How long the does the battery last? I've seen reports from as low as 2 hours to as high a 5.

How heavy is it really? I'm talking travel weight more than speced weight. I'm coming from a 12" PB so reports from other sub 5LBS machine owners would be appreciated.

How many cosmetic issues do the black MacBooks have? I've been burned by Apple's shoddy craftsmanship on my 12".

Thanks. I'll likely go out and buy the sucker in an hour or two.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-13, 15:41

3.5-6 hours. Turn bluetooth off and screen to mid-level and its like 5.

It's well-built and feels sturdy, not heavy. It's like 5 pounds. What are you looking for? It does not feel heavy coming from a 12" iBook g4 user.

No cosmetic isues.
digitalprimate

2006-07-13, 16:06

Make sure and tell us how you think of it! I'm also in the market for a MacBook, so I'm very curious!

(One can't get enough opinions, even though there are quite a few threads out here)
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-07-13, 16:26

How did your PB die? And how old was it? And how was the craftsmanship shoddy?

I also second the request for a report, some of us might be thinking of replacing their aging PBs, too ...
dark54555

2006-07-13, 16:27

thirded...

...for those of us looking to buy a first mac.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-07-13, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
How did your PB die? And how old was it? And how was the craftsmanship shoddy?
It KPs every time I look at it. The fans haven't worked in about 6 months, the cable that connects the screen to the computer is loose so every time the back of the screen is touched in the least it crashed (including many times in my bag!), the battery lasts about 30 minutes (to be expected), I've gone through 4 power adapters that have all frayed at the same point at the end, and both palm rests are now bare exposed metal after the entire anodizing has worn away. Oh, I've also had a recent batch of dead pixels showing up. And this is weird, there is a little black splotch about 10 pixels high and 4 pixels across that started up at the top of my screen and is slowly working it's way down. It may be dirt or dust, but it's annoying as hell.

OOOOOOHHHHH! New problem!

Now the screen is 'tearing'. Looks like the video card is fried.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!

Last edited by HOM : 2006-07-13 at 16:43.
digitalprimate

2006-07-13, 16:42

I think it suffers from Laptop-Arthrosis. You should check it into an elderly laptop home, because it will become a burden to cater for its needs. There it can link up with other old laptops and share stories.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-07-13, 16:54

Man, that sucks. Sorry 'bout that

I also have a 12'' PB. It is 2 years old now (time flies..) and I haven't had any problems with it (knocks on wood repeatedly).

I didn't know that a messed up video card could screw up the screen like that. Did this happen because of overuse? or the age?

My computer has to last me at least another 2 years, that's why I'm asking. Anyway to prevent the trouble you are having with yours?

Deal with it.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-13, 17:00

Get a black MacBook. Other then cleaning it once in a while to get a smudge off it has no cosmetic issues. It is beautiful, the battery lasts anywhere from 3 to 5 hrs based on settings ( I generally get about 4 and I use the screen on one of the brightest settings). It is pretty light too. good luck with your decision.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2006-07-13, 22:33

If you havent bought a macbook yet, I'm trying to sell my black one with 2 gb of ram and applecare.

PM if interested
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-14, 01:16

bah, don't get a blackbook. Invest that 150 in something. That is essentially throwing money away.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-07-14, 12:31

I've had the base model MB for 2-3 weeks now and I have no troubles at all. Great little laptop, solidly built and I can get around 5 hours uptime on the battery while coding / surfing the net.
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-07-14, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
bah, don't get a blackbook. Invest that 150 in something. That is essentially throwing money away.
I disagree...I feel that the BlackBook is actually worth the money. It looks tons nicer, but also I don't have to clean it as much. I bought a white one then a black one. I feel great on the black one.

The battery lasts a good 5 hours but I rarely drain it all the way. Come fall and class I will, but not til then. I do wish I had a 2GB upgrade though for graphics reasons. The build quality is great, it isn't the nutwarmer that my 15" PB was, and it works great. My ONLY problem is the glossy screen. It is no biggie, but where I sit gets a slit of sunlight from behind onto it. Overall though, if you like black, spend the extra $150 or do what I did and be patient on eBay. I bought mine for $1345 with a 1GB upgrade. The last owner worked at the Apple Store in Boca Raton, FL.
digitalprimate

2006-07-14, 19:49

Any News on how HOM's purchase went?
HOM
The Elder™

2006-07-14, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate
Any News on how HOM's purchase went?
Quick one.

I got a "refreshed" black MacBook w/ 1GB of ram preinstalled for $1350 at the 5th Ave Apple Store.

So far I'm mildly impressed.

It's fast, but that's about all it is. It is almost too big for daily use and the battery life is just barely adequate (about 3.5 hours under normal usage).

Actually, the thing I'm most impressed with is the brightness of the screen. I had to turn it down to two notches bellow zero before I could use it.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2006-07-16, 00:25

Cool, but... how well does World of Warcraft run on it?
funduk

2006-07-25, 22:38

Wow i'm surprised you feel that way. I have a 12" pb and my fiance got the white macbook as soon as it was released. it's barely any heavier (only slightly according to the spec), only a bit wider and thinner.

You should make sure bluetooth is off, cpu stuff in the power saver set to reduced and all that to extend the battery life, my fiance keeps hers at full brightness and it easily lasts 4 hours minimum.
arnoct

2006-07-25, 22:51

If you're only getting 3.5 hours under normal use you might want to check the battery... I can generally get 4.5 hours with full screen brightness, wireless and bluetooth on
nskk

2006-07-26, 10:44

yea my 12" pbook just killed itself. The frame wasn't put together well. It poped out in the front and knoked the insides around. Now the cd drive is broken. And the kicker is that apple won't cover it under applecare. So they say it will cost 1240 dollars. Now i'm getting a macbook. But i just can't justify the extra $$ for the black macbook when it has the same specs of a white one.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-26, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskk
yea my 12" pbook just killed itself. The frame wasn't put together well. It poped out in the front and knoked the insides around. Now the cd drive is broken. And the kicker is that apple won't cover it under applecare. So they say it will cost 1240 dollars. Now i'm getting a macbook. But i just can't justify the extra $$ for the black macbook when it has the same specs of a white one.
Really? It poped out? Well, sic transit gloria mundi...

nskk

2006-07-26, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Really? It poped out? Well, sic transit gloria mundi...

i completly agree. Its also nice to see an other latin enthusiast on the forums
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-26, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskk
i completly agree. Its also nice to see an other latin enthusiast on the forums
That was pretty much all the Latin I know. Well, that, and memento mori.

Yeah, I have a pretty depressing view of the Latin language.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-07-27, 00:50

Carpe diem!!