AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Obama's new campaign ad...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Obama's new campaign ad...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-03-19, 17:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWvHbOoG3tI

Wow, it's been on Youtube since March 6, interesting. National news was just talking about it like it was new.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-03-19, 18:01

Funny, but it's worth noting that there's no evidence this is actually connected to his campaign. Still funny, though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-19, 18:02

Not an official campaign ad. Just something rather mediocre (the idea is blown way out of proportion, and while I don't care the least about Hillary, I don't really think it applies much to her?) from a random dude.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-03-19, 18:21

It was on the news, and they said that it was an official ad. The one they aired had the official logo on it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-19, 18:29

Then either Obama's campaign has adopted the ad as an official one*, or the news is (intentionally* or out of ignorance*) misleading. For everyone's convenience, I've marked the retarded possibilities with an asterisk (*).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGHNONEPS1.DTL
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-19, 20:23

Guys, it's the Apple ad, simply with some other crap inserted. It's not real, from anyone. They'd get their balls sued off (does anyone here truly think Apple would allow that famous, iconic used, even for a Democrat?).

Some numbnut with a computer and some software inserted - badly, I might ad - those Hillary montages.

And the "media" is spurting all over itself, as though this is somehow the greatest thing that's ever been created. That's the worst part about it all (or funniest, depending how how it strikes you).

It's shitty compositing work (watch the logo on her shirt...at least Apple did the iPod thing a bit better). And they're basing their "logo" off that colored Apple logo that hasn't been used in about seven years. Anyone in the know would know better.

Oh, and the really crappy type at the end with the straight quote marks...kinda hacky, and, to me, a dead giveway that it's a) not real, b) not a huge amount of thought/smarts was put into it, c) it's nothing official from Obama (he can't be that stupid) and d) someone's *this close* to a letter from Apple legal.

It's a big deal about nothing (I'd have a bit for interest or respect for it if they made their own, and adapted the style and tone of the 1984 ad and filmed one from scratch, with their own, new actors, sets, but geared it toward a political ad (no running big-tittied womens with iPods). Then it enters "clever parody" territory, and you can give it some points or a bit of a appreciation. But it's a straight lift (someone got the Apple commercial off YouTube or some Mac geek website and went to work), and a pretty weak, lame one. If Obama's campaign does "adopt" this (which they won't), they're bigger know-nothing, all-spark-no-substance tools than I'd previously suspected.

Oooh, he's not on the Obama train...shoot him!

Sorry if I sound pissy...I've just heard about this thing all day long and I've it, or a link to a story about it, e-mailed to me about 942 times since this morning.
rasmits
rams it

2007-03-19, 22:13

It doesn't even make much sense, especially the text at the end.

Obama and Hillary are in the same freaking party. It blows my mind how stupid the Democratic party can be sometimes. All this infighting is exactly why they lost to George effing Bush, the worst president we've ever had.

I see they've learned nothing.

You had me at asl
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-03-19, 22:35

rasmits said it best, that all this party infighting is just ridiculous.

wrt to the "ad" though, it was made but a "group of Obama supporters." Whoever created it did it with the intention that it would go viral and, well, the fact that we're talking about it means they accomplished their goal.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-03-20, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Then either Obama's campaign has adopted the ad as an official one*, or the news is (intentionally* or out of ignorance*) misleading. For everyone's convenience, I've marked the retarded possibilities with an asterisk (*).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGHNONEPS1.DTL
Best part of the article:

Quote:
Gardner said the success of "Hillary 1984" means that now "every candidate will have to worry about some guy with a video camera and a Mac being able to do whatever he or she wants."
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-03-20, 06:11

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph (Sydney)
A VIDEO clip attacking Hillary Clinton has established the internet as the new battleground in the 2008 US presidential race.

Quote:
Launched on YouTube, the sophisticated clip parodies Senator Clinton's presidential campaign and urges voters to support her rival Barack Obama.

Quote:
Experts believe the 74-second pitch could become a watershed moment in 21st century political campaigning and be the beginning of the end of traditional TV and radio advertisements.

Lesson: Don't pay attention to Murdoch media...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-20, 06:50

That link above from the SF Chronicle uses the same kind of language and tone. Let's not make this about what it isn't...every news outlet was gushing, and getting all over themselves over this silly thing.

"Lesson": take just about anything you hear these days - from any news outlet - with a pinch of salt and a look of

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-03-20 at 07:02.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-03-20, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
"Lesson": take just about anything you hear these days - from any news outlet - with a pinch of salt and a look of
Certainly one should think about the veracity of what they are reading or watching, but I don't believe that all news outlets have an equal factor. Maybe that's not what you're saying, though.

I think there are a number of solid news outlets that may have a certain bias but report solid news and analysis 24/7. Edit: my sources do not include any national media outlets, with the exception of NPR.

As far as this ad goes, I think it is stupid, and not persuasive, intelligent or sophisticated. Just the work of some bored hack. I can't even remember what the message is.

Also I think party in-fighting is fine. The problem as I see it is that the two party system doesn't work on many levels. The right should have room for Lott's and Chafee's. (Well maybe not Lott, the farking eegit ). The left should have room for a spectrum of views too. How is it that traditional, fiscally conservative voters on the right should have to sign up with Bush and Reagan, neither of whom had/have a fiscally responsible bone in their bodies? Edit: For clarity, I'm a fiscally responsible member on the left, but regardless of the side, one shouldn't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Without Obama and Hillary going after each other, how are primary voters supposed to know whom to support? In any event, the system's broken and my thoughts on it are irrelevant. So I'll stop wasting eveybody's time.

Don't these pols have jobs, anyway?

Last edited by AWR : 2007-03-20 at 10:36.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-03-20, 08:27

Didn't see this until now. Doubt it's in any way going to be affiliated with Obama. Just a way to get him some free publicity. Pretty clever idea, too bad the media has to ruin everything as usual and turn people off to what could've just been a fun thing to watch. Sidenote: all national media outlets should change their name and slogan to "Buttheads R Us: Whoring Ourselves to Advertisers, Every Hour of Every Day."

...into the light of a dark black night.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-03-20, 12:57

Or maybe it was actually a Republican....

Quote:
Chris Finnie, a Santa Cruz-based Democratic operative, said the widespread coverage given to the "mashup" in GOP circles suggests the ad could have come from a Republican operative and smacks of "Swift Boat" tactics used in 2004 against Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

"It killed two birds with one stone," she said, by sharply attacking Clinton as being a political drone and smudging "Obama's positioning as the 'Mr. Clean' of politics. This is politics as usual, and by running a smear ad that is associated with him, it puts a dent in that image."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-20, 13:48

Of course! It had to be...what were we thinking?!?

Whoever it is, they suck at video. That - red state and blue state folks alike - can all come together and agree on.

<cue swelling music as thegelding and I run arm-in-arm together on a hillside, laughing and talking about the future>

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-03-21, 19:45

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070321/..._pr/clinton_ad

Quote:
Philip de Vellis, a strategist with Blue State Digital, acknowledged in an interview with The Associated Press that he was the creator of the video, which portrayed Clinton as a Big Brother figure and urged support for Obama's presidential campaign.

De Vellis said he resigned from the firm on Wednesday after he learned that he was about to be unmasked by the HuffingtonPost.com., a liberal news and opinion Internet site.

Blue State designed Obama's Web site and one of the firm's founding members, Joe Rospars, took a leave from the company to work as Obama's director of new media.

"It's true ... yeah, it's me," de Vellis said Wednesday evening.

He said he produced the ad outside of work and that neither Blue State nor the Obama campaign was aware of his role in the ad.

"But it raises some eyebrows, so I thought it best that I resign and not put them in that position."

In a statement released Wednesday evening, the Obama campaign said:

"The Obama campaign and its employees had no knowledge and had nothing to do with the creation of the ad. We were notified this evening by a vendor of ours, Blue State Digital, that an employee of the company had been involved in the making of this ad. Blue State Digital has separated ties with this individual and we have been assured he did no work on our campaign's account."

The Clinton campaign had no immediate comment.
nina24

2018-11-14, 14:24

don't really think it applies much to her?) www.prolapseme.org
heymargaux

2018-11-14, 20:42

It surely gains a lot of views.
¡Damned!

2018-11-14, 22:46

I knew you were a bot, bitch.
murbot
Hoonigan

2018-11-14, 23:23

heymargaux, you ignorant slut

¡Damned!

2018-11-15, 11:07

Who knew fetlife was still a thing? At least I learned that from this latest barrage.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-11-15, 13:29

POP goes the weasel!