User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

A&W + KFC? Frankenfood restaurants ahoy!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A&W + KFC? Frankenfood restaurants ahoy!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-02, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
Trying to eat a chili-cheese hot dog after driving through KFC is probably just as bad...
What in the hell kind of KFC are you going to that sells chili cheese dogs? Have they branched out from their chicken-based menu that much?

JohnnyTheA

2010-01-02, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What in the hell kind of KFC are you going to that sells chili cheese dogs? Have they branched out from their chicken-based menu that much?

The ones out here in SoCal have em. I think it is because KFC merged or bought out the A&W root beer restaurants who sell burgers and dogs as well as Root Beer ofcourse...

John
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-03, 00:07

Ah...I see. Okay, that makes sense. We have a few of those odd two-in-one places like that here too...not far from my house is a combo A&W/Long John Silvers. And I remember now, when I lived in Carlsbad, CA, there was a combo KFC/Taco Bell on the main drag through town. I wasn't even thinking of that.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-01-03, 02:41

A&W was bought out by KFC? Looks like it was, but the Canadian branch of A&W is a separate entity, which is why things haven't changed here.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-01-03, 03:30

There's a chain of ice cream stores in the Atlanta metro area called Brewster's (anybody else got them?) and last night I saw one that was combined with a Nathan's hot dogs, which blew my mind!! I think I might have stopped to check it out but I was helping somebody move and I couldn't stop because I was following the moving truck :/

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-03, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
A&W was bought out by KFC? Looks like it was, but the Canadian branch of A&W is a separate entity, which is why things haven't changed here.
There's been a half-KFC half-A&W in Raleigh for years. I always assumed they had some sort of partnership. The inside is weird because the register area is actually split down the middle like they're two restaurants sewn together.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 13:42

We have a KFC/Taco Bell frankenfood place just down the road. I've actually seen a triplet: KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut.

They're all owned by the same company: Yum! Foods.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-01-03, 14:14

Does anyone actually like the idea of frankenfood franchinse?

I mean, what if you find a chicken wing in your burger?!?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-03, 14:25

That wouldn't bother me (fried chicken and hamburgers are "go-together" picnic/patio type foods). What grosses me the hell out are the weirdo combinations like A&W and Long John Silvers (like I've got here in town)...I don't want to find part of a chili cheese-dog in my Fish 'n' More combo platter.

That's not a workable combination for me.

But that's exactly the sort of unholy, soul-draining travesty that could occur because some butthole at Yum! or PepsiCo decided to combine two such restaurants.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-03, 14:35

Thread split because, really, this discussion deserves its own thread.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-01-03, 14:52

I miss the KFC/LJS mix in Hamilton because I grew up on Long John Silvers and I wish there were some anywhere near me in Florida. But yeah, the whole idea of combo restaurants generally is bizarre to me.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 15:05

As opposed to a restaurant with a varied menu like Applebee's or TGIF's?

It is weird to have multiple brands in the same space.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-03, 15:14

There were tons of those little combo YUM! Brands restaurants in Vegas. A&W/Long John Silver's, Taco Bell/Pizza Huts (inside of Targets, no less!), you get the idea. In Silverton, OR there's a combo Taco Bell/KFC that just sounds absolutely disgusting to me. Not to go all "ethical" or anything, but KFC creeps me out. Even my sister (a total carnivore) won't eat there.

Plus, that Sanders guy makes me nervous. If I wanted to eat under the constant gaze of an old guy who won't stop smiling at me, I'd go to an "outreach" BBQ at my dad's old church, thx.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-03, 15:19

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-01-03, 15:22

That is such a classic comedy bit.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-01-03, 15:35

i haven't purchased food in a fast food restaurant in more than five years. of course i live in a city where better quality food can be had at the same cost and time.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 15:53

We have Long John Silvers/KFC, Long John Silvers/A&W, and Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combinations here.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 17:08

IIRC, there are also Arby's/Sbarro in Minnesota.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-03, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
IIRC, there are also Arby's/Sbarro in Minnesota.
Oh yeah! I remember those. Sbarro is such a weird restaurant. Nobody ever thinks about it. But it apparently has over a thousand locations.
¡Damned!

2010-01-03, 17:25

When I was coming back from Detroit last week I pulled over for some gas, and found a hybrid KFC/Taco Bell. That is, they were in the same building, and both of their menus were on the big drive-by brighty thing.

It was a little unnerving.

So it goes.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2010-01-03, 20:16

There's a KFC near me that just has all the Taco Bell items for sale on its menu. It's weird because, from the outside it looks like it's just a KFC (no Taco Bell branding). You walk in and it's like, "Oh yeah, by the way, you can also have any of Taco Bell's items with your chicken." It's as if a KFC ate a Taco Bell.

Ugh.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-01-03, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
There's been a half-KFC half-A&W in Raleigh for years. I always assumed they had some sort of partnership. The inside is weird because the register area is actually split down the middle like they're two restaurants sewn together.
Ah. As I noted, A&W in Canada separate (has been since 1972), so although I've seen KFC/Taco Bell together, I've never seen an A&W mixed with another fast food chain. Maybe that is why I never saw any down there when I was in California?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A&W_(Canada)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-01-03, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Oh yeah! I remember those. Sbarro is such a weird restaurant. Nobody ever thinks about it. But it apparently has over a thousand locations.
How could you forget Sbarro?

Michael Scott goes there every time he's in New York for an authentic NY slice.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-01-03, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I miss the KFC/LJS mix in Hamilton because I grew up on Long John Silvers and I wish there were some anywhere near me in Florida. But yeah, the whole idea of combo restaurants generally is bizarre to me.
Hamilton, NJ? Don't worry, it's still there. Not quite as scary as the Popeyes near Five Points though!!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-01-04, 01:09

Toledo has a TON of these places. We even have a frankenfood Tim Horton's/Cold Stone!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-01-04, 02:37

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. We've got a Tim Horton's/Coldstone hybrid here in my town.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-01-04, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Hamilton, NJ? Don't worry, it's still there. Not quite as scary as the Popeyes near Five Points though!!
Yeah, but I'm leaving college in NJ and moving back to FL, so I won't be able to coerce my boyfriend into taking me to the LJS whenever I'm down there It had become a running gag- he'd be like "where do you want to go to eat" and I would be like "LJS!"

Or the Grease Trucks in New Brunswick. Was never a huge fan of the food- I have never understood the appeal of a Fat Sandwich- but I'm gonna miss 11PM runs after club meetings let out.

...man, I never thought I'd say this, but there might be one or two things I'm gonna miss about Jersey.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-04, 10:28

And you'll miss this, right?

Foj
Veteran Member

2010-01-04, 11:02

Only if they worked at a KFC/Guido's.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-04, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That wouldn't bother me (fried chicken and hamburgers are "go-together" picnic/patio type foods). What grosses me the hell out are the weirdo combinations like A&W and Long John Silvers (like I've got here in town)...I don't want to find part of a chili cheese-dog in my Fish 'n' More combo platter.

That's not a workable combination for me.

But that's exactly the sort of unholy, soul-draining travesty that could occur because some butthole at Yum! or PepsiCo decided to combine two such restaurants.
Yea, we have a Taco Bell / Long John Silvers two towns over. Those are two great tastes that should not ever go together (fried jumbo shrimp crunchwrap supreme anyone?)