User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

windows XP freezing in parallels

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
windows XP freezing in parallels
milky

2007-05-09, 13:21

I have parallels installed on my mac using windows xp.
Everything has been fine until today, when I open parallels now the windows xp desktop appears but i cannot select anything on desktop including start button.
Parallels seems to be working fine but XP is frozen, anyone know how i can restart windows (guest operating system) through parallels.

Any other useful advice would be much appreciated as well

The only thing I did different today was use it for the first time over a network?

I should have said I am running Parallels 3188 and XP home edition.

Last edited by milky : 2007-05-09 at 13:21. Reason: Posts merged
rasmits
rams it

2007-05-09, 14:49

Does the Windows cursor react at all to your mouse? It might not really be frozen - it could just seem like it.
milky

2007-05-09, 15:09

I just opened up parallels again after shutting down mac for 10mins
and its fine.

I had tried restarting mac a few times but nothing.
Desktop still appeared frozen.

The mouse cursor was still visible as it moved across desktop but desktop was completely inactive
any ideas what may have caused that?

The battery on my laptop ran out earlier so it hadnt been shut down properly, might that have caused it? Have you any advise on how to get desktop out of this 'frozen' state other than shutting down and turning on again.

This is my first mac had it 4 months now, not had a problem at all,
installed parallels/windows xp for drafting purposes about a month ago
and its chug a bug stutterin, added to this sort of thing when virtual machine/windows is on is doin ma head in!
vlads

2007-05-11, 12:46

milky,
Looks like going over network with Windows wasn't a good idea MS OS is quite vulnerable to various bugs and virues
I had similar issue (my bad ), after trouble shooting it with Parallels Support I can suggest you the following steps:
1. Try starting Windows in Safe Mode (hit F8 inside VM while Windows is booting, fn+F8 on Macbook), when is Safe Mode - try uninstalling Parallels Tools, then reboot and install them in normal mode again
2. If step 1 doesn't help - boot VM from Windows installation CD, proceed with installation until you select partition where to install and Windows asks you if you want to repair an existing installation. Just hit R and hope it will help (takes some time )
3. If step 2 fails too - just create new VM and re-install Windows, its Parallels, not real PC, can always easily start from scratch