User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Web Sharing, MySQL, and PHP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Web Sharing, MySQL, and PHP
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-11-25, 20:17

Hey. I just purchased an iMac Core 2 Duo with Leopard installed. It is nice. But during the transfer I lost most of my IDE components. And no, I have Coda and that is working just fine. It is more the system installed components. So hopefully I can explain it well enough...

Web Sharing

This is how I test all my scripts. Very important to my workflow! I enabled it inside System Preferences -> Sharing. It gave me my computer's IP access address and such. That works when I go to the root directory in that link. But as soon as I go to my directory, it is giving me a 403 Error saying that it is forbidden to access the current page. This is my main problem here.

PHP

Before, I had PHP installed on my eMac G4 with Tiger so that when I fired up my personal web server (see web sharing), it would be able to parse my script files. Now I don't think that there is a PHP build for Leopard or am I misinformed? If someone could take me through the install of PHP on my new computer that would be amazing (I actually forget how I did it).

MySQL

I have the mySQL GUI tools, since I transferred all files. Now my only problem is that the preference pane that I used to actually manage and turn mysql on for my personal web server (see web sharing) to be able to access databases and such, System Preferences told me that mysql.prefPane does not work on Intel Macs... Now this is a HUGE problem for me. Since I do all my scripting around vBulletin which is a mySQL driven software. Installation of mySQL (latest stable version) and to have a way to control it would be extremely helpful...

Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help me out here...

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-11-25, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
But as soon as I go to my directory, it is giving me a 403 Error saying that it is forbidden to access the current page. This is my main problem here.
I assume you're accessing it by something like http://localhost/~username/ correct?

If so, in the Finder, select the Sites folder in your home folder, Get Info, and note the Sharing & Permissions section. Does everyone have at least read access?

Quote:
Now I don't think that there is a PHP build for Leopard or am I misinformed?
Actually, Mac OS X 10.5 includes PHP 5.2.4. You can check this by opening Terminal.app and running "php -version".

Quote:
Now my only problem is that the preference pane that I used to actually manage and turn mysql on for my personal web server (see web sharing) to be able to access databases and such, System Preferences told me that mysql.prefPane does not work on Intel Macs... Now this is a HUGE problem for me. Since I do all my scripting around vBulletin which is a mySQL driven software. Installation of mySQL (latest stable version) and to have a way to control it would be extremely helpful...
Learn to manage MySQL from the command line?

Actually, have you checked to see if there's a newer version available? I'm not sure if this is the one you're using, but this page claims to have a Universal Binary version that will work on Intel Macs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-11-25, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I assume you're accessing it by something like http://localhost/~username/ correct?

If so, in the Finder, select the Sites folder in your home folder, Get Info, and note the Sharing & Permissions section. Does everyone have at least read access?
No, I am accessing my directory (/~Jeremy/) from the IP address given to me in System Preferences -> Sharing. This worked fine on my old mac.

Quote:
Actually, Mac OS X 10.5 includes PHP 5.2.4. You can check this by opening Terminal.app and running "php -version".
Thanks! That saves me trouble! And php -version did spit out 5.2.4.

Quote:
Learn to manage MySQL from the command line?

Actually, have you checked to see if there's a newer version available? I'm not sure if this is the one you're using, but this page claims to have a Universal Binary version that will work on Intel Macs.
Me and command line isn't really good. Since I don't know a lot. But does mySQL come installed on my computer? But I downloaded that, and it wasn't meant for 10.5.x because it wouldn't actually install.

Also, since you said from the command line, is there a list of Mac OS X command line commands so that I can keep it as reference?

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-11-25, 20:42

Quote:
No, I am accessing my directory (/~Jeremy/) from the IP address given to me in System Preferences -> Sharing. This worked fine on my old mac.
For reference, "localhost" is a shortcut to your local IP address so you don't have to find it each time.

That said, did you verify that the Sites folder has the correct permissions?

Quote:
But does mySQL come installed on my computer?
Unfortunately, I don't believe Mac OS X 10.5 includes MySQL.

Quote:
But I downloaded that!
'fraid I can't help you much with that. Hopefully someone else will have another suggestion.

Quote:
Also, since you said from the command line, is there a list of Mac OS X command line commands so that I can keep it as reference?
There are hundreds (about 1400 on my PowerBook with a relatively clean 10.5 installation) of possible commands available to you from the command line interface. I have no no quick and easy guide for beginners, but if you're really interested, I'd suggest looking into some O'Reilly books.

Also, you may find these threads useful as a primer:

The cd command in the Terminal
What do you do with Terminal

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
King Kovifor

2007-11-25, 20:47

Thanks. Guess I should find mySQL for 10.5.x (Since mySQL Community isn't very helpful). And what should the permissions be? I have:

Jeremy (me) - Read & Write
(unknown) - Read Only
Everyone - Read Only

Should I have the set to something else? And I just made sure that that was set for everything inside the Sites folder on my account.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-11-25, 20:53

Check Hivelogic for a walk-through on getting mySQL on 10.5. The forums over at Marc Liyange's site are also helpful. www.entropy.ch .

For your mySQL management, have you tried using phpMyAdmin?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-11-25, 20:54

Those permissions look correct to me. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, then.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-11-25, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Check Hivelogic for a walk-through on getting mySQL on 10.5.
Build and configure it from source? Yikes! Not the best first lesson on the command line, methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The forums over at Marc Liyange's site are also helpful. www.entropy.ch .
I've never used his forums, but I agree that entropy.ch is definitely a good resource for these types of packages.

King Kovifor

2007-11-25, 20:59

Quote:
Build and configure it from source? Yikes! Not the best first lesson on the command line, methinks.

I've never used his forums, but I agree that entropy.ch is definitely a good resource for these types of packages.
I think I could handle it if I actually read the instructions carefully.