Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhone email

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone email
Partial
Stallion

2009-09-17, 20:16

I don't know much about this, so please bare with me.

My girlfriend uses gmail over pop on her iPhone. I manually set this up for her versus using imap and the pre-configured gmail set-up.

She has a 200 message limit evidently.

She has 170ish messages in her inbox.

The phone won't pull down any new messages right now, despite having 50 or so new emails.

What should I make of this?

Thanks!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-09-17, 20:19

I'd delete the account and then set it up again using the pre-configured gmail setup.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-17, 20:20

Same here.

Was there a specific (good) reason you guys didn't do that?
Partial
Stallion

2009-09-17, 22:19

She is very against imap. She doesn't like how she can have a max of 200 messages on the phone, so she would have to delete some - which in turn would delete them from her gmail inbox account.

I deleted the account and reset it up with pop and it picked up the messages now. Very weird.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-17, 22:40

Mailboxes.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-09-17, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
She is very against imap. She doesn't like how she can have a max of 200 messages on the phone, so she would have to delete some - which in turn would delete them from her gmail inbox account.

I deleted the account and reset it up with pop and it picked up the messages now. Very weird.
There is no limitation on message count for imap accounts, as imap stores the messages on the server and only caches them to the phone on demand. I just scrolled down to the bottom of the list for one of my imap accounts and there is a control to press that says" "Load More Messages...
4,621 messages total, 0 unread"

I don't have my gmail account on my iPhone, but I'm sure it would work the same way. I might add it as a test, just to see....
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-09-17, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
There is no limitation on message count for imap accounts, as imap stores the messages on the server and only caches them to the phone on demand. I just scrolled down to the bottom of the list for one of my imap accounts and there is a control to press that says" "Load More Messages...
4,621 messages total, 0 unread"

I don't have my gmail account on my iPhone, but I'm sure it would work the same way. I might add it as a test, just to see....
Consider it... CONFIRMED