Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMovie Camera Compatibility

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMovie Camera Compatibility
hunt_brian

2005-05-10, 06:43

Hi All,
I have had a Sharp DV Camera for several years but when I recently upgraded my Mac operating system and purchased the newest version of iLive it installed iMovieHD over my older version.
I can still control the mechanism of my camera via Firewire but it no longer sense video (if it does it is just for a second or so). Am I committed to buying a new camera or is there a work around?

Please advise,

Brian

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-05-10, 07:11

*For future reference, you'll want to put questions like this in the Genius Bar. The mods will probably move it there, but make sure you try to post in the correct areas of our forums.*

As far as I know, there are no drivers for Firewire DV cameras, so I doubt the problem lies there. You may want to check your cables, try new cables and try your camera on another computer to see if the problem persists.

Google is your friend. If you're not able to diagnose the problem yourself, do a search on your Sharp's model number and see if others are having the same problems. When I'm having a problem with a product, one of my first steps is a google search.

Hope this helps.

Edit: oh, and welcome to Applenova.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs

Last edited by sunrain : 2005-05-10 at 07:15. Reason: manners
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-10, 07:23

Have you checked if it happens on more than one tape?
Have you recorded the tape on another camera and then played it back on a different one? (This causes problems sometimes)
Check the format matches what you're importing. The format is selected when you create a new project, but auto-senses NTSC or PAL, so make sure the camera is connected before creating a new project.

And, as he said ^^^ welcome to Applenova.
hunt_brian

2005-05-11, 07:20

Thanks much. I did only use this camera for both recording and playback. The camera was also on when I opened the application. I have tried it on 2 different tapes from 2 different times and it does the same thing. I can sometimes get it to start but within seconds the picture on the computer monitor goes to a blue screen and says the camera is playing but the picture is not being transferred.

Thanks so much for your response.

Brian
hunt_brian

2005-05-11, 07:23

Thanks for the input. I will have to check what you mean by the Genius bar. This is all new to me as I have never participated in one of these but I will most assuredly learn the proper protocol. Sorry about that.

The cable is good as I can control the camera's functions just fine but the transfer process will not hold. It's almost like a handshake problem or something.
I will try the Google thing. I use it all the time and yet did not think to use it for that.

Film at 11!