User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 126 of 221 First Previous 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-04-04, 20:57

Someone put a camera in a dildo and then added Wifi to it.

You can guess what happened next.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...urce=mbtwitter
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-04-25, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Someone put a camera in a dildo and then added Wifi to it.

You can guess what happened next.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...urce=mbtwitter
Company name is Svakom, so I guessed possible foreign origin...
eventually, after video, tried to figure out if Siime Eye (pronounced See-Me Eye)
was misspelled/phoneticised oddly/marketing trying too hard to be cute...

Sadly, given font choice, at first impression I thought it was Slime Eye

Still not sure which suits.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2017-04-25 at 07:01.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-25, 14:23

I read about that one a little bit ago. I couldn't imagine anything thinking this is a good idea. A sex toy with a camera that is connected to IoT!? Really!? People actually bought it too? That's like the smartphone one that was compromised recently too. You know, so the company selling it to you can track and sell how often you get off. The fact that you bought something like this then complain about your privacy being violated? Really?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-04-25, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I read about that one a little bit ago. I couldn't imagine anything thinking this is a good idea. A sex toy with a camera that is connected to IoT!? Really!? People actually bought it too? That's like the smartphone one that was compromised recently too. You know, so the company selling it to you can track and sell how often you get off. The fact that you bought something like this then complain about your privacy being violated? Really?
Yeah, that's so spectacularly unappealing to me as a concept - I want a stupid silicone toy, thanks.
¡Damned!

2017-05-01, 13:10

This is about as gangsta as tech journalists get, imo. KaraWalt

Just brutal.

Last edited by 709 : 2017-05-01 at 13:31.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-05-01, 14:50

Can you blame the guy for hiding? I don't. Doesn't make it right, but then again I don't use Uber and have no plans to either.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-05-01, 15:02

At least Uber delivered a (highly damaging) product -- these other paper CEOs like Holmes merely skated along until someone (the government, ahem) started asking meaningful questions. Uber shouldn't survive, but not because of its corporate culture, which sounds awful, -- that should only really bring down Kalanick and a few other corporate leaders-- but because it is enriching itself while destroying the lives of its drivers.
Anonymous Coward

2017-09-29, 01:20

BBC news reported that China has shut down North Korean companies operating in Chinese territory to implement United Nations sanctions.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41431057

I have been tracking this story today, waiting to when CNN, Fox, or Reuters would report it and whether there would be any comments. None of these sites has made any mention of this. Now the story is no longer "front page news" on the BBC site, and is now only a link in its 10 most read stories list.

Doesn't this seem like an action significant enough to be mentioned by United States based news outlets?
Dr. Bobsky

2017-09-29, 11:48

I think part of the problem is that the Chinese didn't do anything as of yet -- these companies have been given notice that they should expect to be shut down in 120 days. It will be a bigger story if it actually happens...
Anonymous Coward

2017-10-01, 19:01

Thanks for your thoughts on that. I was under the impression that, based on previously reported Chinese actions, this seemed like a shift in policy.

Of course, my post was misleading in that I said the North Korean companies were shut down, rather than the 120 day notice. Still, from what I have seen of the CNN and Fox headlines, this seemed to have more substance.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-10-01, 22:43

I just don't think the American press is following this story or really any international story all that closely or accurately.
¡Damned!

2017-10-02, 16:01

Tom Petty dead at 66.

Ain't that some shit.

[edit]: Or not? WTF journalists.

Last edited by 709 : 2017-10-02 at 17:16.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-10-02, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Tom Petty dead at 66.

Ain't that some shit.

[edit]: Or not? WTF journalists.
Or WTF LAPD (According to the Guardian)

Don’t Back Down, Tom!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-11-08, 19:26

Is there a thread for when Twitter goes hilariously insane?

Because USA Today is being mocked endlessly for thinking Sharknado is a real thing.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2018-01-01, 17:23

Calgary Zoo too cold for Penguins

Canada be a wee bit frosty this winter, eh? ❄️🐧⛄️🌬☃️
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-20, 14:27

The guy in the audio: "Don't ride on carnival!"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 15:15

How does that even happen? The ocean is really big, every time I've checked.

That's like two guys push-mowing a football field and somehow running over each other. "You stay over there, I stay over here...if we start to get too close, jump up and down, wave your arms or make some noise, got it?"

That one ship just tore the crap out of the other. It's a miracle nobody was crushed, killed or tossed over/drowned. If those were rooms/cabins, can you imagine being in the shower or reading and all of a sudden your wall is getting ripped to shreds like that? There's no telling what would cross your mind, about what it could be, since it's so unusual. "I'm no geography or science buff, but I'm reasonably sure there's no icebergs in the Caribbean...I saw that Celine Dion movie. WTF is happening?!"

I'm sure the lawsuits have started...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-20 at 18:39.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-20, 15:22

Somebody is getting fired for that one! Likely a pilot too since normally you have to have a local pilot on the ship when docking in their port.

What is amazing is just how easily the bow of Legend ripped through the steel of Glory.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 15:23

I thought they were going to make it and kept waiting for the "collision". Even at that slow speed, so much damage! Can you imagine one of these things ramming into another at full ocean speed? Has that ever happened? Not a brushing side-swipe but a full-on perpendicular T-bone hit at full speed? Surely not.

Is it just me, or is Carnival always on the receiving end of weird, bad stuff (and the ensuing PR black eye)? People fighting in buffet lines, illness, food poisoning outbreaks, backed up toilets, loss of power, people falling (or jumping) overboard, etc. Seems a month doesn't go by that this company isn't in the news for something crazy or weird happening on one of their ships (and always in the Caribbean).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-20, 15:25

Not to my knowledge, but I'm sure at some point in the past it has. The bow of the ship is normally reinforced since it takes a pounding at sea where the sides not as much.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-20, 15:36

Exactly. It would be catastrophic! The ship taking the hit would probably split in two, pretty much killing (or injuring) everyone on board. And the other ship would certainly have tons of injuries as well. And deaths too, depending on where a passenger was when they collided.

Especially if it happened at night. Nightmare stuff.

Would actually make a pretty neat movie, done right. Seems like something that Roland Emmerich guy would've thought of by now...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-20, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Somebody is getting fired for that one! Likely a pilot too since normally you have to have a local pilot on the ship when docking in their port.
Just like the Navy, the captain is getting fired (or should be), regardless anything else that happens. The captain is responsible for the ship, and it doesn't matter if a harbor pilot was aboard or not. If htere was, his job is also likely on the line.

Carnival is not the Navy, but the captain is still 100% responsible for anything and everything that happens aboard his vessel (it is his vessel—and if not, then he should not be captain). The offending vessel was out of control under the captain's watch, and you better bet he doesn't get to blame the harbor pilot (if one was actively on duty on the bridge). The captain should know his vessel well enough to know that the bow thrusters were pushing the bow into the other vessel, and he should have taken corrective action. He either did not, or something broke. The bridge crew drastically underestimated the ship's speed, momentum, and position. This was not an "accident" (unless something broke). This was bad judgment, and it isn't the first time Carnival's captains have used poor judgement.

Basically, Carnival has a lot of very large ships, and to command them they have a lot of very small captains. These ships are incredibly large (some are bigger and heavier than aircraft carriers), and it takes a great deal of skill to handle them. They do not stop on a dime, yet a growing number of incidents tell me that command arrogance is at an all-time high. Were this the Navy, the Commander in Chief would be rolling heads at the highest levels of command—well up the chain and into the admiralty—or should be.

Believe it or not, if someone dies in an "accident" like this, the captain can be held directly responsible and brought up on charges of manslaughter. These men (there are very few women doing it) are responsible for literally thousands of people, and need to act like it. Seriously, this might be funny to watch, but there are several thousand people aboard that ship and showing off your parking skills is not the way to treat them.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-20 at 18:26.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-12-20, 19:03

This all reminds me of that ship that was involved in an incident off Western Australia, the one where the front fell off
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-20, 22:02

"Can you book me a cab?"

"You need me to book you a cab?"

"Yes."

"What happened to your car?"

"Well, the front fell off."

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-31, 16:00

Only in Canada. Give the man a hand.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-31, 16:05

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-12-31, 18:07

That's neat and I'd do it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-31, 19:08

Eww...it would just be a painful reminder for me. Once something’s gone, I want it gone. YMMV.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-13, 17:47

Wow. Thank God this kid called, first.

I think this may be the first instance of this happening? Hopefully, investigators can learn something from this case that will help with in the future. Suicide by school shooting is not a solution.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-31, 21:10

Well, amidst all this End of the World™ nonsense, we just got teased with a tiny little earthquake.

We were just getting ready to close up the shop and a 6.5 ringer gave us a bit of a shake. Nothing serious, but we don't know about the mountain communities yet. Just what you need when the world is falling apart is more falling!

The news people came off the rails, though. As usual. Some old duffer up in the hills lost his chimney and a few windows and the news was going off about how "real" property damage can be. Yeah, those San Francisco and LA people would straight up roll their eyes at the buffoonery our local news folks were sewing. Sheesh.

Anyway, all is well.