User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Poll: Will you switch to Snow Leopard as soon as it arrives?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Will you switch to Snow Leopard as soon as it arrives?
No 14 22.58%
Yes 48 77.42%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Will you switch to Snow Leopard as soon as it arrives?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
tsa

2009-04-28, 20:37

Snow Leopard will have a lot of nifty new features, but are they worth switching to you? What features do you find interesting? Why will you stay on Leopard? Post your thoughts here.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-04-28, 20:47

I will upgrade asap. I look forward to a smaller footprint, refined and faster system, with a uniform GUI.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-04-28, 20:47

I'll probably move immediately, yes. I'm primarily interested in the Exchange server integration with Mail and iCal. I'd love to be able to ditch Entourage, and I'm hoping Snow Leopard will finally let me do it.
¡Damned!

2009-04-28, 20:50

As soon as it arrives on a new quad-core 17" MBP, yes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-28, 20:51

As soon as I can ensure it works with my research, yeah. :}

It took me only about a year to move to 10.4, and eight months for 10.5...
Axl

2009-04-28, 20:54

I'll wait a couple of days to hear some user reports before diving in.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-28, 21:16

It probably depends on how much it costs and what else is going on around the time it comes out. Idunno, for some reason $129 seems like a lot for an "under-the-hood" update, but maybe that's just me.

If it adds more features that I really want, or really improves speed, then I'll upgrade sooner. If not, I might wait ask for it for Christmas or something...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-28, 21:32

I'm sure I will. At least within the first week .I've always been a "first-day adopter", with no problems or regrets (knock on wood). I'm sure I'll try to move to Snow Leopard as soon as possible, especially since I now have a nice, modern Mac to pair it with and don't have to worry about system requirements or performance hits like I might've on my older PowerBook...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-04-28, 21:35

Yes because of all the reasons 'scates mentioned. I cannot resist upgrading my OS. I may wait to make sure that it works with Aperture and FMP 9. But probably not.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-28, 21:38

Count me in, even if it's just smaller footprint and optimization; I could use some.

Though I have to admit I'm little anxious as to whether Snow Leopard is definitely Intel-only or not, and what it would mean for those with both Intel and PPC. I was counting on buying a Family Pack for all Macs, of which one is a G5. (Did anyone hear any new update in that department? Last time I checked it was still speculation...)
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-04-28, 21:51

Open CL, and the glimmer of hope that Open GL3.x will come alongside it make Snow Leopard an absolute must IMO.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-28, 21:56

I will for sure so I can get all of my machines on the same version of OSX.
noleli2

2009-04-28, 22:17

I'm definitely going to wait for 10.6.1. Ever since the 10.4.0 (or was it 10.3.0?) wiping firewire drives clean debacle, I like to give them a version or two.
tsa

2009-04-28, 22:21

I have the feeling Leopard is still quite new, and I don't want to pay $200 for a family pack every year to upgrade my two Macs. So I will wait for 10.7.
Noel

2009-04-29, 01:53

I would, if I weren't still on an iBook G4
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-29, 02:04

I always wait to see if there are any problems, though if I manage to finagle myself a new MBP this summer, it may (fingers crossed) come with it installed.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Lyngo

2009-04-29, 08:38

I am going to let others be the beta testers this time.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-04-29, 09:16

So far I've been a zero day purchaser of OS X upgrades but this time around I'm not sure I own an Apple that will run the new OS. My iMac G5 is PPC and my MacBook has a 32bit CoreDuo chip in it and what I've read leads me to believe I'd need a 64bit Intel chip to run it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-04-29, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
So far I've been a zero day purchaser of OS X upgrades but this time around I'm not sure I own an Apple that will run the new OS. My iMac G5 is PPC and my MacBook has a 32bit CoreDuo chip in it and what I've read leads me to believe I'd need a 64bit Intel chip to run it.
There's no 64-bit requirement. It will fully take advantage of 64-bit CPUs (and higher RAM limits when using one), but there's no reason I'm aware of to believe that one will be required.

Here's an article that discusses that issue in great detail:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...2-bit-support/
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-04-29, 10:47

Since I never got around to getting Leopard I'd better get on with it this time around.

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2009-04-29, 13:39

I will wait say a week or two tops and then i'm in.

I've got two Intel macs that will be upgraded and there's one stranded PPC (a Cube with a 800Mhz G4 upgrade) that will be staying on Tiger.

I look forward to actually being able to manage my Services menu without using Service Scrubber.

I think Quicktime X is going to be huge. For some reason I'm getting the same feeling I had about Quick Look (I knew it would be helpful to me) as far as how it's going to impact my computer usage. Quicktime X should allow for easier playback of media content. At times I feel like applications bog down too easily when you drag video content into them. I'm hoping that QTX is more lightweight and nimble here and in other areas as well.

I look forward to seeing less beachballs (especially with Webkit/Safari) and better multitasking.

" I'm in for a penny in for a pound"

The screen recording feature sounds nice. If I can get my mother over from her PC nightmare I'll need to record a bunch of "how to" screencasts.

omgwtfbbq
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-04-30, 00:14

Not immediately... will wait and see what the price is, weigh up whether it's worth it for me or not... considering there's not much in the way of new features and my Mac is only a few months old I'm not overly concerned for now... May wait for 10.7...
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-04-30, 14:35

I'll wait for a bit. I've got two PPC machines in the house so the return on it won't be as big this go around in terms of dropping the cash. I might even wait until we purchase a new machine.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2009-04-30, 14:41

Even if I could hold out I know my weak soul would cave the minute I heard or saw a bunch of "little" tweaks corrected that had bothered me in Leopard.

Usually people are looking for major features but in my experience its the multitude of tiny improvements and polish that have gone a long way towards making my experience better.

Something like Data Detectors in mail for adding Address Book and iCal events easy or the incredible usefulness of Quick Look.

I'm guessing that by WWDC once we see the build they have to release to the hordes of OS X developers, a few of us may change our opinion once we see the new "Sparta List" (300 features) or at least some favorable benchmarks.

omgwtfbbq
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-04-30, 15:24

Normally, I'd say no. But I have to get a laptop soon so I might as well wait and get Snow Leopard.
That said, I'll keep my iMac on Tiger (yeah I know).
copland

2009-04-30, 15:26

Just got my new mini. I'm not going to pay another € 139.- for a .0 OS.
I will have a hard time to wait for .2, but I will try. Possibly they throw in the OS+iWork package again.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2009-04-30, 17:46

Yes. Deffo. Within the first few hours of it going on sale. I have always got the new versions early, and with the promise of the auto graphics card switching on my new MBP, I have an extra reason.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Justin

2009-04-30, 18:12

I will, I might way a few days to actually install it after buying it just for bug reports, but since my MacBook isn't my main work computer I probably will upgrade it pretty soon after.

I assume it will cost about $129 or whatever it cost now and that is a fair price especially when compared to M$
canyon_Carver

2009-05-01, 23:09

we usually get 5 people to split a family pack...
It works out a lot cheaper than individual upgrades.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-05-01, 23:10

That's how we buy our nose candy too!