Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone Catch the UFC fights?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone Catch the UFC fights?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-10, 21:11

I've started training in Krav Maga which I believe would be classed as MMA (mixed martial arts). So I decided to check out some of the UFC fights on Spike TV this weekend. Wow, these guys are pretty brutal! Not only that but I can't believe how much punishment these guys can take and still keep going.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else was checking out these fights and what your thoughts are on the sport.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-11, 06:49

MMA is a fickle term but I associate it to the different fighting sports that encompass standup and ground.

Even if it looks brutal sometimes, it is relatively safe.

When you're training for the real world, which in my understanding is what KM is about, then it's very different and there is only some overlap between the two.

Without rules, fights are over in seconds much rather than in a few rounds.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-11, 07:33

Yea, there are plenty of rules in UFC fighting (was just checking them out over at ufc.tv) that just wouldn't exist in the real world (like no groin kicks, no spine/neck attacks, no fish hooks, etc.). Seems like many of the people trained in Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and other boxing/wrestling sports. All of the fights ended up with ground wrestling at some point.

I'm still surprised at how much punishment those guys can take though.

I just mentioned KM because I probably wouldn't have been interested in checking out the fights if I hadn't started training classes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-11, 08:07

UFC is a disgrace if you ask me, but then I think boxing is pretty worthless too (even if it does make for an entertaining movie once in a while). It appeals to the absolute worst in people, and the cable companies charge out the ass for the privilege.

Yah, let's see if we can arrange a fighting match where opponents can do everything but dismember one another, and call it entertainment. You see the throngs of people waiting at the gates for these events? Make "Pro" wrestling fans look sophisticated.

Anyway these UFC guys are a bunch of neanderthals IMHO. They intentionally dispense with a good part of their humanity in order to make a living trying to destroy other human beings in a pointless prize fight. And that ref guy? The "let's get it on!" guy? Someone please have that guy castrated before he reproduces.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mass Appeal

2005-04-11, 08:18

The Light-Heavyweight champion in Saturday's fight is a total bad-ass. In Forrest's previous fight, before entering the reality t.v. show, he got caught in an arm bar and instead of tapping like a normal person he let his forearm get snapped in half and then KOed his opponent.

Moogs: Aren't you a Hockey fan.

No one has died or been seriously injured in the octogon.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-11, 08:23

Yea, the Forrest - Stephan fight was the best bout of the evening. Good call on White's part to offer them both contracts.

Moogs, many masters of their particular skill spend a good portion of their waking life honing that skill, whether it be race car drivers, members of an orchestra, UFC fighters and even hockey players. I don't understand how the UFC fighters have 'dispensed' with any more of their humanity when compared to anyone else who decides to be the 'master of one' trade vs. the jack of all trades that most of us are.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-11, 08:26

Funny part is I started watching UFC when it started. Used to be the only illegal thing was eye gouging. That's it.

It's growing up though, and I suppose more rules/regs are a part of that process.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Mass Appeal

2005-04-11, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Yea, the Forrest - Stephan fight was the best bout of the evening. Good call on White's part to offer them both contracts.
That might have been the most exciting UFC fight I've ever seen.

It reminded of that fight in "They Live" between Rowdy Roddy Piper and that other dude. They just kept banging away at each other. Every time I thought Stephan was going to land a big blow Forrest would deflect it or stumble away.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-11, 11:05

UFC was an awesome game too

I...well I've been corrupted by TV, games and movies, but I don't see anything wrong with REAL fighting...not pro wrestling.

Then again I'd go to a gladiator fight had I the opportunity

(assuming gladiators are completely willing)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-11, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal
Moogs: Aren't you a Hockey fan.
DON'T EVEN fucking compare hockey to something like UFC. I mean common. That's just inane. If you think hockey is about inventing a game whose intended purpose to to inflict as much injury as possible upon the opposing player, you have no understanding of hockey.

Slapshot was just a movie, OK? (and even there the comparison isn't legit)

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-11, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass
I don't understand how the UFC fighters have 'dispensed' with any more of their humanity when compared to anyone else who decides to be the 'master of one' trade vs. the jack of all trades that most of us are.
Because their trade is beating the shit out of someone beyond the norms found even in boxing. Someone also said no UFC fighter has ever been seriously injured. If by that you mean paralyzed or otherwise incapacitated in some permanent way, OK. But I doubt very much that broken bones, torn cartiledge, serious contusions (more serious than what you'd find in football or hockey) are uncommon. On the contrary I bet they are extremely common; you just never see the guys in the hospital the next day, mending their wounds.